Join TexasGunTalk

Paleo Life Style or Cave Man - life style nutrition plan, not a diet.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by MPA1988, Oct 20, 2013.

1. MPA1988

MPA1988 Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Rid your body of toxins, by eating whole foods not treated with chemicals and hormones. Grass fed - beef and meats; raw, unpasturized dairy, organic folks...it's all about being organic. No grains folks. No breads of any kind.

Been on it for 2 months. I am a P90X and X2 fitness freak. Discipline is as essential with nutrition as it is to consistently execute a daily physical regimen and work out.

Discipline is the word!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Nortex

Nortex Active Member

May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Congrats & best of luck sticking with it.

Any specific results/gains you're willing to share?

I've been a pretty healthy eater my whole life, so I haven't felt a need to make any drastic changes. Some small things I've done in recent years:
    - higher protein intake (beans/rice and occasional whey isolates)
    - fish oil
    - glucosamine/chondroitin
    - Gluten Free

3. MPA1988

MPA1988 Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Google Paleo for Athletes......

....results are amazing and significantly enhanced with a strenous physical exercise program.

I am 58 years of age with 8% body fat. Over the last 2 months I have lost 1.5% of body fat but gained 12 lbs.

Lean muscle mass! Prior to Paleo I was stuck at 9.5% +.

Get protein from "wild-caught" fish and eat lean meats from animals grass-fed. Whey protein I also use to supplement my protein intake. Stay away from rice.

4. Nortex

Nortex Active Member

May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I gotta have my rice krispie treats bro.:) That's some good body comp you got going. I'm a few years younger and hovering around 9%.

Diet, exercise, rest: tried true formula, all in proper amounts.

I will also vouch for protein supplement. Amazing how much more effective my workouts became, and the lack of soreness (recovery shake). Shot about 500 rounds today, trigger finger not sore at all (of course could be apex mod to my M&P).

5. MPA1988

MPA1988 Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Good to hear no soreness in trigger finger...lol. BTW, good physical fitness improves shooting performance. 9% is not bad. Creatine mixed in with some whey is a good recovery drink.

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm about to take the plunge back into Paleo again as well. Starting back up again tomorrow. I'm going back to the strict version again. Basically no glutens, grains, legumes, or dairy.

7. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I've cut out alcohol. I may drink 6 beers in a year. I don't smoke. I've cut out soda/energy drinks. I'm working on kicking sugary "tea" now (Arizona type).

Good on you OP for doing the damned thing. How much weight have you lost? (or how have you otherwise measured your gains?)

I've also got to increase my calories expended, too many excuses lately.

Glad to see folks encouraging each other on TGT.

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I once weighed almost 600 pounds. I'm on track to break below 300 by the end of the month. (I may have already done it; I only weigh myself once a month.) It will be nice to be merely morbidly obese again. ;) While I know far more about nutrition and exercise than any normal person should (most of us fatties who've been trying to lose for years know these subjects in excruciating detail), I rarely advise anyone. I'm not a good enough example of what folks should be looking to achieve.

I can, however, authoritatively offer this advice: To those who think their situation is impossible, it's not. No matter how bad your joints hurt and your cravings push you to excess, it is always possible to come back. There's an old arab saying - "No matter how far you travel down the wrong road, you always turn around." That applies to every situation in life that seems like a journey to a bad end; you can turn around. Just take that first step today, another tomorrow, and string them along one day at a time. You might be surprised how fast you can return to the right road in life.

9. texcross

texcross Active Member Admin

Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Hey all
    I have been doing Paleo for awhile, switching to GAPS now to heal 2 gut issues I was tested to have. Basically same as Paleo, no grains, legumes, etc. Basically free range meat, veg and just a little fruit, no nuts, seeds, dairy either...

However no tubers for a few months while I do the gut healing deal.

However throwing in the Leptin reset program while doing Paleo was life changing! Cannot believe the weight loss.....

10. double_r76

double_r76 Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Congrats on gaining 12lbs of lean mass in 2 months, that's incredible!!! I can't imagine what your calorie intake and workload look like. What is your body weight and how are you measuring body fat?

Thanks,
    -Randy