• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I imagine that out there if I told the local police during a stop that I am moving from California and bringing all my firearms, and show them my LTC, they would be very happy. I just want to double check here to make sure.

The gun is not going to be a problem. The issue might be a DPS officer not thrilled with you stopping on the highway for a non emergency.

But then DPS, rarely drives that close to the border, they usually turn around sooner.

Anyway, I have stopped for photos and not had a problem.
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• Texas85MPH.jpg
      Texas85MPH.jpg
      544.6 KB · Views: 53

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Being ashamed of the behavior of some individuals residing in the state is not the same as being ashamed of the state.

This, so much this.

Robert “Beto” Francis O’Roarke the tool, abortion Barbie Wendy Davis, Dallas County Judge “King” “Country Clay” Jenkins, etc are also an embarrassment to the state, as are all the Democrats reps that fled to mommy “Ice cream queen” Pelosi in DC, but that does not make me embarrassed of Texas!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Neither of those makes you "Pro-Gun".

Lots of folks have both and work against gun rights. We have LTC instructors who fought PLC.

'Zactly!

And I have met lots of Liberal FUDD gun owners so I don't assume anybody leaving Kommiefornia doesn't have at lease SOME lib baggage just because they can speel "Kommiefornia". Things are just that diff there, my middle brother is a Bernie Bro there, that as one member said a conservative gun owner there is a middle of the road Democrat in Texas. I can respect a healthy skepticizm.

Again, the larger point to be made is not to be so quick to take offense when a TGT member expresses disdain for Cali, Cali transplants, and Cali policies. Best advice is that if one feels it doesn't apply to them, just move on! And I say that as one that is embarrassed to be living in Oregon today!!! I'm sure I'm gonna take a lot of shite for it too!

OP ASSUMES the Cali comment was made in a personally negative way... the writer of the comment swears it was generic advice. OP then copped an attitude. OP also rx'd comments that what he wanted to do is a dumb idea. So what? He's supposed to get a pass from an honest answer that HE asked for because he's a newbie that owns a gun or two? Some folks have just gone soft.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Leaving California is a smart choice and welcome to Texas. My brother and his entire California family are leaving too. Unfortunately they are still treasonous voters.

Your photo idea although it sounds really nifty especially after the suppression in California is probably not illegal depending on where you stop but may cause you some hassle with local drivers. I would suggest taking the picture, photoshopping your image after the fact.

This site has a ton of good firearm info and a gazillion tons of other experiences, some not worth the electrons used to generate them. Come here with a thick skin. Welcome to Texas.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    If this is too hot don’t compare 45 to 9mm or AR’s to AK’s, say anything negative about a 1911 or ask if this Glock makes you look fat (it does Karen, all glocks make everyone look fat deal with it). Last I checked this was a gun forum. Grow up, get some thick skin, crack a beverage of your choice leave the failed policies at the state line and you’ll be fine.

As for the white knights. OP is an adult, asked a question got answers. If you disagree with the answers give your answers and why. Or run to his rescue and bring a fainting couch with you I don’t care it’s a free state.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Bring the rifle.
    Leave the CA stupidity.
    And wipe your boots at the border to be sure it's all off.
    Heard many similar comments in the 70s to those coming from Detroit. I heard similar comments after moving from TN to TX. Most became good neighbors. A few couldn't appreciate Texas and went elsewhere.

When I heard comments about moving from TN, I said I was following Crockett, Dickinson, Bowie, Ewing and several others from TN.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Noob..."I wanna stop innthe side of the road and take pics holding my AR what do you think?"

TGT...probably not the best idea. Not illegal but not the smartest thing to do.

Weatherman...."forecasting shit storm and acute analitis today followed by drought of common sense."

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Let me ask this, no offense intended, how frigging stupid do you want to be to want to get out of your car on a highway shoulder and stand there for a photo op on the highway while holding a rifle? If someone saw you, especially one of the more macho yahoo wacko types and thought you were a threat (or just an excellent target), do you think that someone would bother to stop to get out of his car to challenge and/or then maybe to shoot you? I think some folks might decide to run you down with their cars especially if they saw CA plates on your vehicle (maybe you can imagine that now too after some of the comments left in this thread). My bet is, if they had half of a brain, they could completely justify why they thought you were an imminent threat of severe bodily harm or death because they thought you were a nutcase on the side of a highway with a firearm out and apparently ready to shoot folks driving by.

Even without taking it to that extreme, as someone else already said, don't you think some folks would call 911 about the perceived nut-job on the side of the road with a rifle (and maybe with CA plates). At the very least it could mean you being stopped by the police with them on high alert because they already know you are armed. Worse yet, they could already be looking for an armed suspect, from a totally unrelated incident, and may mistake you for that person. One move, by you or one of your passengers, that the cops see as a threat and they may light you up. Of course, you might merely get a ticket for a traffic violation but if you do get stopped by the police, I doubt they will be patting you on the back to welcome you to TX after such a move. Honestly, it is not a good idea, at least not as I see it.

On the other hand, if you really still think that is an idea to keep considering, let alone whether it is a smart one, do it if that is what you want. Chances are there will be no consequences, then again other chances are there will be dire consequences - doing it or not is up to you. Me, I'd not do it but you are you and will do what you believe is right; just bear in mind that many forum members have advised against it and that is probably very good advice.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Let me ask this, no offense intended, how frigging stupid do you want to be to want to get out of your car on a highway shoulder and stand there for a photo op on the highway while holding a rifle? If someone saw you, especially one of the more macho yahoo wacko types and thought you were a threat (or just an excellent target), do you think that someone would bother to stop to get out of his car to challenge and/or then maybe to shoot you? I think some folks might decide to run you down with their cars especially if they saw CA plates on your vehicle (maybe you can imagine that now too after some of the comments left in this thread). My bet is, if they had half of a brain, they could completely justify why they thought you were an imminent threat of severe bodily harm or death because they thought you were a nutcase on the side of a highway with a firearm out and apparently ready to shoot folks driving by.

Even without taking it to that extreme, as someone else already said, don't you think at the very least some folks would call 911 about the perceived nut-job on the side of the road with a rifle (and maybe with CA plates). At the very least it could mean you being stopped by the police with them on high alert because they already know you are armed. Worse yet, they could already be looking for an armed suspect, from a totally unrelated incident, and may mistake you for that person. One move, by you or one of your passengers, that the cops see as a threat and they may light you up. At the least you might get a ticket for a traffic violation. Honestly, it is not a good idea, at least not as I see it.

On the other hand, if you really still think that is an idea to keep considering, let alone whether it is a smart one, do it if that is what you want. Chances are there will be no consequences, then again other chances are there will be dire consequences - doing it or not is up to you. Me, I'd not do it but you are you and will do what you believe is right; just bear in mind that many forum members have advised against it and that is probably very good advice.

Bet you thought a bunch of us were stupid for open carrying black powder pistols back in the day to raise awareness for open carry.

One man’s stupid is another man’s freedom. At least he had the thought to ask, so points for that.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Bet you thought a bunch of us were stupid for open carrying black powder pistols back in the day to raise awareness for open carry.

One man’s stupid is another man’s freedom. At least he had the thought to ask, so points for that.
    Although I do not prefer to open carry under most circumstances, (a personal choice but you can do as you like - just like I told the OP) you would lose the bet unless I thought you were open carrying in a situation that logically could be perceived as a threat to others. I made specific reference in my previous post to the OP's desire to get out of is vehicle on a highway for a photo op. It's all about the circumstances he mentioned under which he would be carrying and displaying the rifle on a highway shoulder. Please, don't be a mind reader - most times when you try to be one, you are not reading anything but your own bias.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth

Even without taking it to that extreme, as someone else already said, don't you think some folks would call 911 about the perceived nut-job on the side of the road with a rifle (and maybe with CA plates). At the very least it could mean you being stopped by the police with them on high alert because they already know you are armed. Worse yet, they could already be looking for an armed suspect, from a totally unrelated incident, and may mistake you for that person. One move, by you or one of your passengers, that the cops see as a threat and they may light you up. Of course, you might merely get a ticket for a traffic violation but if you do get stopped by the police, I doubt they will be patting you on the back to welcome you to TX after such a move. Honestly, it is not a good idea, at least not as I see it.

Sounds awful emotional (no offense intended).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

I suspect no one would even notice or take the time and effort to make a call.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Sounds awful emotional.
    I was not being emotional, I was basing what I said on some of my LE firearms and tactical training. Now if you are saying it sounds as if some of the folks I described, either other drivers or the police, yes such things can get emotional depending on how emotional were the folks making the 911 calls or whether or not the police were already looking for a suspect who fit the general description of the subject of those calls. Every time a law enforcement officer makes a vehicle stop - it should be handled like a felony vehicle stop - at least if the officer is following good training on vehicle stops. When they stop a vehicle about an armed individual, you can bet they are considering it a felony vehicle stop unless they had been asleep during their training.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom