• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    How do you know he wasn't on his meal break? Perhaps he purchased it prior to starting his shift?

A). You don't know either way. That's why you ask the manager.

B). As a matter of propriety, it would be in Academy's best interest to change this practice. It looks bad, and there are easy ways to avoid the impropriety.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    A). You don't know either way. That's why you ask the manager.

B). As a matter of propriety, it would be in Academy's best interest to change this practice. It looks bad, and there are easy ways to avoid the impropriety.

Just for .22 ammo or should they not be allowed to by a Snickers bar while on on break or before their shift either?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Just for .22 ammo or should they not be allowed to by a Snickers bar while on on break or before their shift either?

Retail workers who buy things while they are on the clock should be fired. I hope that is not difficult to understand.

While on break, I think retail workers should be able to buy whatever public customers are able to buy, so pretty much anything. However, going back to what I said earlier, if the item in question is something that is not on the shelf (as stated above), is hard to come by, and is extremely desirable by the public, I think the intelligent thing for the retail chain to do would be to conduct that transaction with discretion (i.e., out of sight).

Is there a snickers shortage? Is academy the place you'd head if you only wanted a snickers?

We are on the same page.

I'm just saying, who cares if the guy is in his uniform. If he's not on the clock he's no different than you going in there to buy anything.

Formalistically, you are correct. Realistically however, as demonstrated by shortround's post (which I would agree with), it looks bad when a customer is standing in line with a box of 50 unicorn tears because that's all he could find, and an employee in line in front of him has a box of 525.

Last edited:

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Let me shed some light on this issue. It comes from 1st hand experience with a nationally known big box retailer.

There is a seperation between executive direction for the company and store-level staff using their positions to their personal advantage. Corporate executives will ALWAYS direct store staff NOT to purchase products in short supply or extreme demand. This direction is 100% of stock must be sold to the general public. Many times they will terminate employees for breaking these directives.

At store level: employees will try anything they can to get around this to take advantage of their pre-public access. It is up to the store managers to police the executive direction.

As I said, I have had decades of experience on the administrative side of retail. I have given directive that 100% of a popular item be sold to the general public, and I have approved the termination of store employees that break this directive.

I am unaware if Academy executives have given stores any specific direction on employee purchases of .22 ammo. If they haven't they should! If in fact they have and this employee broke that directive, he should be terminated immediately!

No company executive will accespt this kind of negative publicity because it is within his power to control!

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Now back on track. While shopping with Mrs. RCK1999 this week, I've found 9mm at Walmart and .22 at Academy!! Just roaming by ammo counter middle of the day.

Seems to be loosening up a bit.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Just to throw in my 2¢ on the Academy and .22lr subject. A few months back I was in the Academy off of 410 looking for .22lr to use to take my kids out shooting. I am in the military and rarely have the opportunity to make it into the store at the hors it requires to purchase ammo when it shows up. The guy behind the counter said that there was ammo earlier but had ready been sold out. To include boxes of 525. I was disappointed a ranted a little on the fact that it sucks that guys like me can't get ammo because there are dudes out there who literally have thousands and thousands of rounds and are still showing up early to hoard more before I can even get a chance. He replied that he was one of those guys and that he had purchased two boxes himself and then offered to sell me one of those boxes. I don't remember what my reply to that was but it shamed him enough that he produced a box from under the counter that he was hoarding and handed it to me all secret like. And said something about not making a big deal out of it while I paid. Anyway point is there are some shady Academy employees who don't care if you get ammo.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I am unaware if Academy executives have given stores any specific direction on employee purchases of .22 ammo. If they haven't they should! If in fact they have and this employee broke that directive, he should be terminated immediately!

Most of what you said seems reasonable. Regarding this specific quote, I spoke to a manager at Academy today, after all this discussion. Their policy, he says, is that the employees are forbidden from making any purchases while on the clock (duh, anyone who thinks differently about this is an idiot). When the employees are on break, including little 15 minute breaks, they are free to make purchases just like Joe Public. Plenty of people chose to work at Academy BECAUSE they like sports. Penalizing them for that choice by precluding them from buying ammo on break doesn't seem reasonable. I'm fine with that, but JP shops from the shelf, not behind the gun counter. Should be same for Bill and Ted.

I'd bet $100 this is what happens most days: Bill and Ted unload the truck. Bill sees brick of 525 22LR. On his way to the shelf, he hands it to Tom, who's manning the gun counter. "Save this for me, man. I'll buy it on my break." If I was a 20 year old kid at Academy, that's exactly what I'd be doing.

...it shamed him enough that he produced a box from under the counter that he was hoarding and handed it to me all secret like. And said something about not making a big deal out of it while I paid.

This is a perfect illustration of what I just posted. Your dude swiped a couple boxes before they were gone from the shelf. He hadn't paid for them yet–was gonna do it "on his break." Again, in his shoes, making $7 an hour, I can understand. Poor guy has to work all morning just to pay for that brick. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck for Joe Public, though.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    This is a perfect illustration of what I just posted. Your dude swiped a couple boxes before they were gone from the shelf. He hadn't paid for them yet–was gonna do it "on his break." Again, in his shoes, making $7 an hour, I can understand. Poor guy has to work all morning just to pay for that brick. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck for Joe Public, though.

Sorry, but if I were running Academy the kid hiding the .22 under the counter would have been terminated immediately and I would have disciplined his manager. There is no excuse for this behavior. This is the reason there is an ammo problem!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just to follow up, I did ask to speak to a store manager and not one could be found to be immediately "available."

So, I went on my merry way.

I contacted Academy via their customer service e-mail service. Four days later they have still not replied.

Just guessing here, and it is a hunch: Academy is probably so overwhelmed with consumer questions/complaints about .22 LR issues that they would rather get their shit together internally than give answers to customers that could later bite them in the ass.

None of us "need" .22 LR ammo: We just want enough to shoot.

By September of this year, the scalpers will be priced out of the market.

Top Bottom