• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Until the show operators and their hired off-duty Lawmen impose extreme TSA "airport-like" security measures, the 30.06 signs will be the functional equivalent of scare crows.

The fundamental problem is: Some folks believe themselves to be so much smarter, better educated, and more enlightened than the unwashed masses that they wish to impose their ignorant control-freak will over us "lesser" folk.

Every negligent discharge at a SA gun show in the last twelve years can be attributed solely to the improper head space & timing of humans in control of the gun .

At no time could a single ND be attributed to Concealed Carry! Not one concealed pistol ever crawled out of it's holster and manipulated itself into a condition of discharge.

Be Good, Be Brief, and Be Gone!
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry, M2 - guess we're gonna agree to disagree on this one. At the point someone pulls out a concealed weapon, it's no longer concealed and as such they should be hammered if they're not pulling it to legally use. Otherwise, it's none of my business - OR YOURS - if they have one. Period.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The next time there's an ND at a show and someone gets hit or killed, then it will no longer be our choice.

And I don't buy the 'get rid of the opportunity to prevent an accident from happening' argument, based on that line of reasoning then people wouldn't be allowed to drive cars due to the number of people being killed.

No, instead we have logically rules that when adhered to greatly reduce the risk. It will never be eliminated, but it can be brought down to a reasonable level.

There is too great of a risk factor at shows to not require prohibiting conceal carry. We've already had two excellent examples of how some idiots will continue to think they are above the law and do so anyway, and with that decision coming close to killing someone. Hell, there was a moron who was clearing a loaded firearm and sweeping the store while he was doing it at the Top Brass grand opening to see if it would fit in a holster (link)!

Trust someone to properly handle a firearm because they have a CHL?!? **** that! I've seen too many "experts" do stupid shit while handling a weapon, to include muzzle sweeping yours truly. I don't care how good someone thinks they are, I am not going to have my life put at risk when they find out they aren't!
    What do you mean "above the law"? The 30.06 sign at the San Antonio gun show is void. Carrying a concealed handgun on your CHL at that show is perfectly legal.

Gun shows are a nexus for paranoid idiots. The NDs are a product of idiocy not concealed carry.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Well, this is quite the can of worms! I can kind of see both sides of the issue here. I consider myself a responsible CHL holder; as such, if I conceal a handgun on my person, it is not coming out unless I'm in the car (with no one around to see) or at home, or God forbid if something really bad happens. So my thought was "Why the heck can't I carry my concealed weapon at an event entirely focused on guns?"

However, I have no faith in humanity in general, so the other side of the coin (idiots trying to clear loaded guns at the crowded show) doesn't surprise me. I just didn't think of that.

While I didn't like seeing the sign in front of the show, I went back to the truck and put the CCW away yesterday. Enforceable sign or not, I'd rather not get involved with LE on any but the friendliest terms.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Looks like we're gonna be neighbors, I'm just north of there!

And that's the northwest side of town, west would be out by Westcreek...

Any chance of making next weekend's show?

Cheers! M2

Northwest, then. I think I could make this show! I doubt I'd find a TAC47 gas tube at SAXET, though. That's really all I need. That and a specific Mako AK-47 stock which is like $600.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    What do you mean "above the law"? The 30.06 sign at the San Antonio gun show is void. Carrying a concealed handgun on your CHL at that show is perfectly legal.[/qoute]

I was talking about the two NDs at the SAXET show, which is on private property (SA Event Center). Some people still decide to carry there despite the 30.06 sign.

Gun shows are a nexus for paranoid idiots. The NDs are a product of idiocy not concealed carry.

Which is exactly why it should be state law that any carrying of loaded weapons is prohibited except for LEOs!

Gun shows need to be added to Texas Penal Code §46.03, places where weapons are prohibited.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry....but now you're fixin' to cross a helluva line, IMO. Ratchet back the "everyone but ME is an idiot" please....

Revised for accuracy, but honestly I have met too many idiots with CHLs nor did I preclude myself (and anyone else) from being one of them, so my point still stands...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Revised for accuracy, but honestly I have met too many idiots with CHLs nor did I preclude myself (and anyone else) from being one of them, so my point still stands...

Each must know their own limitation, I guess.....but I guess the real proof of the pudding is that you've never "made" me at any of the shows....and yeah, I do. Maybe its' because I *do* keep it concealed - it's not there for public display.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    "Which is exactly why it should be state law that any carrying of loaded weapons is prohibited except for LEOs!" - M2

Are you referring to at Gun Shows or in general?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    What do you mean "above the law"? The 30.06 sign at the San Antonio gun show is void. Carrying a concealed handgun on your CHL at that show is perfectly legal.[/qoute]

I was talking about the two NDs at the SAXET show, which is on private property (SA Event Center). Some people still decide to carry there despite the 30.06 sign.

Which is exactly why it should be state law that any carrying of loaded weapons is prohibited except for LEOs!

Gun shows need to be added to Texas Penal Code §46.03, places where weapons are prohibited.

Problem is, idiots are everywhere. And like you say some idiots will ignore the law. Universities are a nexus of idiots also but I still believe students and faculty should have the right to carry.

Banning guns is never the answer. Instead, let's all work to decrease idiocy.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "Which is exactly why it should be state law that any carrying of loaded weapons is prohibited except for LEOs!" - M2

Are you referring to at Gun Shows or in general?

Gun shows, and because there is so many people handling of firearms. At a range, it is presumed that they are loaded and treated accordingly. At gun shows it is just the opposite, which is why adding a loaded weapon to the mix is such a bad idea.

Trust me, I see more of a reason to prohibit concealed carry at gun shows than I do most of the places listed in §46.03 (schools, polling places, within a 1000' of a "place of execution" on the day of said event. What the hell?!? )

Yes, I do understand that "concealed means concealed," but as was witnessed by the two NDs at previous SAXET shows and the moron that took his weapon out at Top Brass, people go into stupid mode and do things without really thinking.

Given the consistency that I get muzzle-swept at gun shows, the mere thought of one of those firearms being actually loaded not only scares me but also infuriates me! All it takes is one instance were someone gets hurt or injured due to such stupidity and the next thing you know we'll be just like Austin.

Sorry Bithabus, it has been proven over and over again that you can't fix stupid. If you could, we wouldn't need such obvious laws such as the ones that require us to wear seatbelts and others that had to be enacted because in general, the general population cannot be depended on to make the right decision.

And if you think the firearms community is any better, than you're sadly mistaken. The "accidental" discharge of a pistol at a gun store in Jourdanton is yet another example of how these so-called "experts" can be just as prone to forget the most basic of all gun safety rules...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Sorry Bithabus, it has been proven over and over again that you can't fix stupid. If you could, we wouldn't need such obvious laws such as the ones that require us to wear seatbelts and others that had to be enacted because in general, the general population cannot be depended on to make the right decision.

And if you think the firearms community is any better, than you're sadly mistaken. The "accidental" discharge of a pistol at a gun store in Jourdanton is yet another example of how these so-called "experts" can be just as prone to forget the most basic of all gun safety rules...

I don't think anyone is better. However I am not a Paternalist. Sometimes we have to accept a bit of risk if that is the price of living in a free society.

Top Bottom