• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can anyone tell me why they had a 30.06 sign in front of the entrance this weekend?

All gun shows have them for exactly the reason TRN stated. Even with them, there's been one or two idiots who have ignored them and had a ND while handling their loaded firearms. Luckily, no one has been injured or killed; but that easily could have been the case.

It's a smart policy to not allow loaded weapons when so many people are handling firearms.

Cheers! M2

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry I had to miss this one, guys. Been busy lately house-hunting. Looks like I'm gonna be moving to the Schaenfield (sp) area on the west side. Looking forward to it!

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    lol thank ya' fellas. and yes it was great hanging out with you guys. It totally made having to drive back to San Antonio way worth it

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry I had to miss this one, guys. Been busy lately house-hunting. Looks like I'm gonna be moving to the Schaenfield (sp) area on the west side. Looking forward to it!

Looks like we're gonna be neighbors, I'm just north of there!

And that's the northwest side of town, west would be out by Westcreek...

Any chance of making next weekend's show?

Cheers! M2

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    All gun shows have them for exactly the reason TRN stated. Even with them, there's been one or two idiots who have ignored them and had a ND while handling their loaded firearms. Luckily, no one has been injured or killed; but that easily could have been the case.

It's a smart policy to not allow loaded weapons when so many people are handling firearms.

Cheers! M2

I totally agree. I saw one unlucky fellow with the side of his head highlighted with a bright red laser dot while I was walking around near the "preppers" setup in the front right corner of the main area.

I kind of get a kick out of people and vendors who open carry (tie-locked) with no intention of selling their personal firearms. I see that as pointless. I'd much rather leave mine in the vehicle, loaded and take my chances from the car to the show (haha)/

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I kind of get a kick out of people and vendors who open carry (tie-locked) with no intention of selling their personal firearms. I see that as pointless. I'd much rather leave mine in the vehicle, loaded and take my chances from the car to the show (haha)/

Hmmmm.....go to the show, have a $1-3k .45. Leave in truck, or take with me? I'm gonna take it with me, thanks. I strip the tie off as I leave, an' have it loaded a second after returning to the truck.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Cheers! M2

The 30.06 signs at the Saxet show in Austin and the San Antonio gun show are unenforceable. No reason to create another criminal empowerment zone. Carry loaded and keep it concealed.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    The 30.06 signs at the Saxet show in Austin and the San Antonio gun show are unenforceable. No reason to create another criminal empowerment zone. Carry loaded and keep it concealed.

How so? There's a LEO right at the door only a few feet away from the sign... I'm pretty sure they would have no problem enforcing it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    So I should be watching for the G-men?

30.06 does not apply to property owned or leased by Governmental entities. 30.06 is State law and Fed property has different rules.

Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1261, Sec. 23, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.24, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1178, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hmmm....however, it may be that it may be posted by the folks leasing/using the facility - otherwise, they couldn't legally enforce 30.06 in the Coliseum during the Rodeo - or are you saying that it's not enforceable, either? And what about AT&T Center? It's gonna fall under 30.06 when the Spurs are playing - but the arena is owned by the county.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think the rodeo qualifies as a professional sporting event (we discussed this a while back), but honestly I think the same should apply to all gun shows as well!

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Hmmm....however, it may be that it may be posted by the folks leasing/using the facility - otherwise, they couldn't legally enforce 30.06 in the Coliseum during the Rodeo - or are you saying that it's not enforceable, either? And what about AT&T Center? It's gonna fall under 30.06 when the Spurs are playing - but the arena is owned by the county.
    The folks leasing can put up a sign, but the Police many not legally arrest anyone for violating it since the location is an exception to 30.06

Professional sporting events are off limits per 46.035. Without a qualifying event the Colisuem or ATT center couldn't enforce a 30.06 sign, and when an event is underway they don't need a 30.06 sign.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think the rodeo qualifies as a professional sporting event (we discussed this a while back), but honestly I think the same should apply to all gun shows as well!

Well, I'm gonna disagree w/you on this, so long as they keep the concealed gun concealed. There's more than a few folks that just kinda walk on by, because they know it's not coming outta concealment....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Even with the 30.06 sign, there's been two NDs at the San Antonio SAXET show in a year's time or so; which is more than enough reason why there should be the restriction.

I see enough idiotic mishandling of weapons at gun shows, knowing that people are carrying loaded firearms would make that even more scary.

And just let the next one end up in the injury or death of a show goer, and the media jumps all over it. That's all we need.

Inasmuch as everyone loves to think they are above accidentally discharging a firearm, it has happened to enough "experts" to warrant the rule.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Even with the 30.06 sign, there's been two NDs at the San Antonio SAXET show in a year's time or so; which is more than enough reason why there should be the restriction.

I see enough idiotic mishandling of weapons at gun shows, knowing that people are carrying loaded firearms would make that even more scary.

And just let the next one end up in the injury or death of a show goer, and the media jumps all over it. That's all we need.

Inasmuch as everyone loves to think they are above accidentally discharging a firearm, it has happened to enough "experts" to warrant the rule.

Given that line of "reasoning", perhaps we should do away with gun shows all together, eh? Then there would be NO way it could happen.

Sorry, bud - but I don't agree, and I have given this a LOT of thought. If I'm CC'ing, then it's gonna STAY concealed unless needed. If you have an idiot that's gonna pull a loaded gun out into public view, he is no longer carrying concealed, and should be hammered by the cops. Punish the idiot - NOT those acting responsibly. Otherwise, you're promoting us down a dangerously slippery slope.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Given that line of "reasoning", perhaps we should do away with gun shows all together, eh? Then there would be NO way it could happen.

The next time there's an ND at a show and someone gets hit or killed, then it will no longer be our choice.

And I don't buy the 'get rid of the opportunity to prevent an accident from happening' argument, based on that line of reasoning then people wouldn't be allowed to drive cars due to the number of people being killed.

No, instead we have logically rules that when adhered to greatly reduce the risk. It will never be eliminated, but it can be brought down to a reasonable level.

There is too great of a risk factor at shows to not require prohibiting conceal carry. We've already had two excellent examples of how some idiots will continue to think they are above the law and do so anyway, and with that decision coming close to killing someone. Hell, there was a moron who was clearing a loaded firearm and sweeping the store while he was doing it at the Top Brass grand opening to see if it would fit in a holster (link)!

Trust someone to properly handle a firearm because they have a CHL?!? **** that! I've seen too many "experts" do stupid shit while handling a weapon, to include muzzle sweeping yours truly. I don't care how good someone thinks they are, I am not going to have my life put at risk when they find out they aren't!

Top Bottom