• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    The reason I want his info is because if he commits a crime with it or sells it to a felon and the black car comes to my house, I can prove I sold it, not committed the crime.
    But that's not here or there, I don't sell any of my weapons anyway, so I don't have to worry about it.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    The reason I want his info is because if he commits a crime with it or sells it to a felon and the black car comes to my house, I can prove I sold it, not committed the crime.
    But that's not here or there, I don't sell any of my weapons anyway, so I don't have to worry about it.
    For what it's worth, I did have a coworker that sold a firearm 2 years ago and he got a bill of sale. Apparently the firearm must have been used in a crime after he sold it while it was in someone elses possession. ATF did just reach out to him because he bought the firearm new and he was the last recorded owner. He showed them the bill of sale and that it was sold and that was it.

Would the outcome been the same with the ATF if he just told them he sold it without any record? Probably, but may have involved a few extra calls/visits to get to that point would be my guess?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

It isnt "proof", it is evidence that will be used against you.

You would be better off not knowing who you sold it to instead of providing evidence to LE you supplied the gun.

Just look at the parents of the recent school shooters now facing charges for the kids shootings even though they broke no laws. Expect that prosecution model to be expanded.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    For what it's worth, I did have a coworker that sold a firearm 2 years ago and he got a bill of sale. Apparently the firearm must have been used in a crime after he sold it while it was in someone elses possession. ATF did just reach out to him because he bought the firearm new and he was the last recorded owner. He showed them the bill of sale and that it was sold and that was it.

Would the outcome been the same with the ATF if he just told them he sold it without any record? Probably, but may have involved a few extra calls/visits to get to that point would be my guess?

When I was young I sold a MAC-10 to I dont know who. It was used in a murder and traced to me. No BOS just told them I did not know who I sold it to and never heard from them again. 30 second phone call and that was it.

Dont be an idiot and link yourself to a crime.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I now have 3 BOS right here on my desk that "prove" I sold guns to you. Better get working on your alibi.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    iu

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Yes, there's nothing quite like linking yourself to a crime to 'protect' you. You can't prove a negative, and you're not required to. The burden of proof is on them. Giving the authorities "reasonable suspicion" to further investigate you is never a smart thing to do.

If they come knocking, the answer is "That gun? Yeah, that must be the one I sold x amount of time ago. Face to face sale. Don't know the guy." And at that point, 100% of your legal obligation has been fulfilled. If you demand that there must be a record of the sale then go through an FFL. You're only setting yourself up to be screwed by keeping any kind of record for yourself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom