East Texas
    My shave this evening
    Pre-shave: Hot shower and Nivea 3 in 1
    Razor: Merkur 34C
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock super stainless
    Brush: Omega Boar
    Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood
    AS: Aqua Velva Blue and Nivea Balm

Baby butt smooth! Hate having to shave so much for work (SCBA) but shaving this way sure makes more enjoyable!

1459158d73a801c2115edd9b3ac5ba07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I dropped a straight razor in the shower. Years ago. It fell right between two toes. Pretty deep slash and left a scar.

If it had hit foot any other way then it did....It would have laid my foot open.

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I dropped a straight razor in the shower. Years ago. It fell right between two toes. Pretty deep slash and left a scar.

If it had hit foot any other way then it did....It would have laid my foot open.
    Yeah, that's some scary shiz

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yeah, that's some scary shiz

The razor had been one of those pre cut blades from a DIY knife store. You finished it, then sharpened it up. I also had a vintage razor. I don't remember the maker. Red handle. That one stayed out the shower. Well both did after I dropped one.

I used a leather belt and red compound polish to strop the blades. Scary sharp is definitely what I'd use to describe it.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I use a safety blade and will be upgrading to a straight razor soon. I spent a year shaving with a safety first. I have yet to buy a razor as the original is a Merkur and still doesn't pull, cut, or burn.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I am gonna hunt for a safety razor this weekend at some antique stores. i will try to get me an old Gillette SS or Schick Krona

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I am gonna hunt for a safety razor this weekend at some antique stores. i will try to get me an old Gillette SS or Schick Krona
    Good luck.
    It's gotten popular in the last free years and the shops are charging accordingly.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Give a look at fleabay as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly, I would steer very clear of fleabay for a straight unless you know exactly what you are looking for, and/or the seller is highly respected in the straight razor community.

For a cheap entry level shave ready, its tough to beat Whipped Dog.

Emphasis on shave ready. Unless you know how to set a bevel and properly hone a straight, shave ready is the only way to go. Even factory edge's aren't sharp enough for a tug free shave.

For a brand new razor, I highly recommend Straight Razor Designs. They hone every razor in-house and ship it with a coupon to get it re-honed for free.

There are others, but I've done business with both of the above entities.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I was going to start with a safety razor and work my way up to a straight razor. I will buy a new straight razor if I get to that point

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I was going to start with a safety razor and work my way up to a straight razor. I will buy a new straight razor if I get to that point
    Yeah, you did say that.

I've used a straight exclusively for the last few years and forget not everyone shaves with one.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I tried a straight once. Once.

After the wound healed, I went back to the double edge safety.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I tried a straight once. Once.

After the wound healed, I went back to the double edge safety.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.
    Knock on wood, I've never laid myself open. I've cut the tops of bumps off and got minor knicks here and there, but nothing that wasn't healed up in a day.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've bought several straight razors at antique stores but they are just for looks. I only shave with my Dovo. If learning to straight shave I suggest starting with the cheeks and then finishing with your cartridge razor. Once you get comfy on the flat surface and get the hang of handling the blade move on to compound surfaces and harder areas. You'll be a pro in a few weeks.

W

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I've bought several straight razors at antique stores but they are just for looks. I only shave with my Dovo. If learning to straight shave I suggest starting with the cheeks and then finishing with your cartridge razor. Once you get comfy on the flat surface and get the hang of handling the blade move on to compound surfaces and harder areas. You'll be a pro in a few weeks.

W
    This ^^^

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    What are the chances I cut the crap out of myself the first few weeks? Should I keep some celox handy so I don't bleed out? lol
    I use an alum block right after my cold rinse. Tells me how good my blade is and nurses any knicks. If the alum block burns, I probably will be needing a hone soon. The only thing I enjoy more than a straight shave is finding a barber that can give a good straight shave. It's simply therapeutic.

W

Top Bottom