• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Honestly, I would steer very clear of fleabay for a straight unless you know exactly what you are looking for, and/or the seller is highly respected in the straight razor community.

For a cheap entry level shave ready, its tough to beat Whipped Dog.

Emphasis on shave ready. Unless you know how to set a bevel and properly hone a straight, shave ready is the only way to go. Even factory edge's aren't sharp enough for a tug free shave.

For a brand new razor, I highly recommend Straight Razor Designs. They hone every razor in-house and ship it with a coupon to get it re-honed for free.

There are others, but I've done business with both of the above entities.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No doubt. Wouldn't get a straight off of there ever. Now DE razors some pretty nice vintage Gillettes can be have fairly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I think I used an electric razor for about a month when I was 16. It was awful.

Safety razor and an electric trimmer. Been wanting to learn with a straight razor.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I just use a little soap and a sharp knife. I'd like to get a little more refined.

Looking into different razors right now.
    I know some guys say their knives are shaving sharp, but I'd buy a round of beers just to see them shave a week's worth of beard growth to baby bottom smooth with a knife.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I still stand by my Merkur safety blade. It's nice to have used the same blade for over a year and just now need to replace it. I also only shave one a week though but at like 15 bucks for a pack of them and who can go wrong. Best shaving experience ever over the last year and I will never go back to buying expensive cartridges.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Hoppe's #9 scented soap and aftershave!
    5b78ab2ea26fabb81bd71c651b1a6376.jpg

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Picked up a new to me safety razor. A Gillette Slim Adjustable. Probably been the best shave so far!

4308e9ae33c940b0a161fd46c7d12ead.jpg

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Recently switched from an aerosol can to actual shaving cream (C. I. Bigelow, for what it's worth). Much better shaving experience.

Thirtymike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    North Central TX
    Just found this thread. Like it. I currently shave with a straight about 2-3 times a month. The rest of my shaving is with a double edge. Mug lather/brush, no canned slime. Shaved with a straight exclusively for many years. For newbies I recommend find a barber with the skill and pay for a couple of shaves. Pay attention to what the barber does. That's how I learned. Movies aren't good training. Shaving with a straight is a motor skill that develops mental focus. No daydreaming with the real sharp knife on your face! A little blood is part of the price to feel the satisfaction of a manly satisfaction.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Just found this thread. Like it. I currently shave with a straight about 2-3 times a month. The rest of my shaving is with a double edge. Mug lather/brush, no canned slime. Shaved with a straight exclusively for many years. For newbies I recommend find a barber with the skill and pay for a couple of shaves. Pay attention to what the barber does. That's how I learned. Movies aren't good training. Shaving with a straight is a motor skill that develops mental focus. No daydreaming with the real sharp knife on your face! A little blood is part of the price to feel the satisfaction of a manly satisfaction.
    I bleed with a Damn safety razor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics