• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been subscribed to this thread since I first posted in it and have been quietly assessing this site while reading this and a few other ongoing threads.

Like so many other firearms forums, it's clear that armchair commandos and loudmouthed amateurs with very little real-world experience and even less regard for evidence-based thought are grossly over represented here. This is why so many professionals eschew Internet gun forums. The barrage of "white noise," willful ignorance, and self-assured stupidity is overwhelming. Meaningful contributions are lost in the storm.

It was a mistake for me to join this site and it was stupid of me to post here.

Certified Warrior.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

DougD

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    North Texas
    To be clear, anyone who cared to do some research could easily identify approx 8 to 10 true SME's who belong to this forum. These are well-respected professionals who are truly in the "who's who" of their respective fields. They don't advertise on this site but it's fair to say their instruction, professional opinions, and consulting services are valued by large organizations and serious students all over the U.S.

There are multiple threads on this forum in which factual, meaningful, and well-written posts offered by some of these people were ridiculed and mocked by popular members with high post counts. In several instances, followers of the critic (the popular guy with the high post count) "piled on" with their own assertions of best TTP's. In most cases, the sycophants aggressively advocated practices that work only during sporadic shooting sessions held on one way square ranges but simply don't work in the real world. If they only knew who they were talking to...

A great deal of the discussions occurring on Internet gun forums, including this one, remind me of this quote by Mark Twain:

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

There's nothing wrong with being unskilled, ignorant, or untrained. We all started out that way. True SME's are not comfortable thinking of themselves as experts and generally think of themselves as full-time students who occasionally teach.

Ignorant and untrained people are not the problem.* After all, I've devoted a large part of my career to helping and developing others. Here's the problem: The American Gun Culture is regularly undermined and damaged by untrained and ignorant people who recklessly and authoritatively spread impractical advice that appears valid to other untrained individuals. Good people are led astray by the brazen, loudmouthed fools in our midst. This is true both on gun forums and in real life. I have personally seen the damage. We don't do ourselves any favors when we let uninformed fools run amok.

Here's a couple of relevant articles written by a guy who knows what he's talking about:

Stay In Your Lane
    Stay In Your Lane | Modern Service Weapons

Experience: Get Some
    Experience: Get Some | Modern Service Weapons

There are only a few Internet firearms forums in which posters are required to specify their real-world experience / training and then restrict their advice and unsolicited instruction to those specific areas. It's too bad there isn't more of that going on.

Y'all take care.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    DougD...see you can actually post your opinions, without degrading, demeaning and generally pissing other folks off. There are many, many experienced folks who see through the chafe. They will challenge folks on their assertions and opinions and do quite frequently. There are some like myself, that don't challenge every thing I disagree with even when they are blatantly full of crap.

I am not stupid, but am not the best at articulating my opinions in writing. As we all are aware that we lose voice inflection and other subtleties that occur with conversation on the internet rather than in person. You have no doubt, credentials. There are other LEO's on this board and have been here a long, long time. They are still here and don't get uptight about some folks being ignorant (uneducated). What I'm trying to say is that you can share your opinions and experiences without being abrasive and getting all worked up when someone may not agree.

Your above post, is a better example of what I'm trying to say....it was a good post...

Please don't leave TGT, it is a better place when all sides participate...

jmho....

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'm too lazy and disinterested to look up those threads but...

I worked for many years at a distance learning center on an Army Post. I can state with complete confidence... not all SMEs are created equal. I'm NOT saying this is the case here. I don't even know which SMEs to which you refer. The fact is many of the SMEs my department dealt with are so willfully ignorant of their own supposed fields that they did far more harm than good. I'm not trying to be a jerk... just pointing out that we should always do our own extended research before taking anyone's word for anything.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm too lazy and disinterested to look up those threads but...

I worked for many years at a distance learning center on an Army Post. I can state with complete confidence... not all SMEs are created equal. I'm NOT saying this is the case here. I don't even know which SMEs to which you refer. The fact is many of the SMEs my department dealt with are so willfully ignorant of their own supposed fields that they did far more harm than good. I'm not trying to be a jerk... just pointing out that we should always do our own extended research before taking anyone's word for anything.
    Not sure when this occured, I was the ICP, the FP for Distance learning worked for me and sadly I must agree with everything you say. Sure he is long since retired but he was worthless, but a civilian so there was nothing I could do...you cannot fire Govt Civilians.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I didn't read the thread past OP so this has probably already been said; Slidefire is a lot of fun to play with and in a SHTF situation would probably be fine for suppressive fire as long as you had pretty significant cover and were working with a partner who could exploit said suppressive fire.

In a 'This rifle is going to stand between me and death' situation I'd leave the Slidefire at home.

No chest thumping intended at all. Just my opinion based on my personal experience with my Slidefire and other options.

Still a lot of fun to play with.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Not sure when this occured, I was the ICP, the FP for Distance learning worked for me and sadly I must agree with everything you say. Sure he is long since retired but he was worthless, but a civilian so there was nothing I could do...you cannot fire Govt Civilians.

You certainly can but it takes an awful lot of time, effort and research. The worst obstacle is the good-ol'-boy network. The more viable solution is to bring in a third party... and hopefully he/she/they are better able to perform their assigned duties... and hopefully they can be held accountable for their incompetence and abuses. Oh wait... that seldom worked either. Cronyism and nepotism are everywhere... we were steeped in and permeated with it. God help our soldiers trying to learn anything of value from many of the DL products I saw.

If I could get a really good slide-fire stock for $50 or so then I'd certainly buy one for the grins but I foresee no situation in which it would be a any real "value" to me even if SHTF.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You certainly can but it takes an awful lot of time, effort and research. The worst obstacle is the good-ol'-boy network. The more viable solution is to bring in a third party... and hopefully he/she/they are better able to perform their assigned duties... and hopefully they can be held accountable for their incompetence and abuses. Oh wait... that seldom worked either. Cronyism and nepotism are everywhere... we were steeped in and permeated with it. God help our soldiers trying to learn anything of value from many of the DL products I saw.

If I could get a really good slide-fire stock for $50 or so then I'd certainly buy one for the grins but I foresee no situation in which it would be a any real "value" to me even if SHTF.
    Trying to fire a DoD civvy is near impossible. I had one who worked for me, GS 12, he retired shortly after I did. He also retired at the same time from the public school system.

He got Civil Service retirement + $25,000 bonus retirement pay + he retired as a FULL TIME teacher from the city school system. YES, he came in to work at 0700, left at 0745, came back at 3:45, worked till 5:30 went home 5 days a week about 9 mo out of the year, for over 20 years.

My next door neighbor: GS 12, had a private office and a direct fone line, he worked in the ROTC Command. His job...he did not have one. He was a FULL TIME real estate developed in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg, Va. Home builder, apartment builder, custom home builder and commercial building developer.

This just scratches the surface...

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Trying to fire a DoD civvy is near impossible. I had one who worked for me, GS 12, he retired shortly after I did. He also retired at the same time from the public school system.

He got Civil Service retirement + $25,000 bonus retirement pay + he retired as a FULL TIME teacher from the city school system. YES, he came in to work at 0700, left at 0745, came back at 3:45, worked till 5:30 went home 5 days a week about 9 mo out of the year, for over 20 years.

My next door neighbor: GS 12, had a private office and a direct fone line, he worked in the ROTC Command. His job...he did not have one. He was a FULL TIME real estate developed in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg, Va. Home builder, apartment builder, custom home builder and commercial building developer.

This just scratches the surface...

Oh yes... I know. I was civil service for a quarter century. It was depressing to see how many incompetent lazy employees slipped through the system unscathed. BUT... the same holds true with countless military members. One day I just walked out and never returned thereby losing most of my pension and the opportunity of building wealth in my 401K. I couldn't take it anymore... the utter powerlessness to make things better. Admittedly this was mostly due to my failing health but it was also largely due to having grown completely jaded regarding the viability of the intertwined civilian and military system(s). There's no hope.

A slide-fire stock is not in my future unless I can buy a nice one for $50 or so.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I guess all us uncertified non-SME's need shut the **** up lest we annoy the annointed ones. What arrogance!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I love it when an expert chimes in and degrades all those who disagree with him while never really participating in the discussion or even taking sides in the discussion so no one actually knows which group he is degrading.

I'm sure this will help everyone learn and form their own opinion since we're no longer even discussing the topic at hand.

It does appear however that AKMike is one of the high post count guys that just spews false information. I do believe the saying is pound sand, not kick rocks.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I actually went to and finished a military school called Warrior Leadership Course. Am I now a certified warrior? I mean I have an actual certificate with the word warrior on it.

Follow me...we are heading for cover!

Dont buy a slidefire stock. Its dumb. But if you do. Let me shoot it. Looks fun.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I actually went to and finished a military school called Warrior Leadership Course. Am I now a certified warrior? I mean I have an actual certificate with the word warrior on it.

Follow me...we are heading for cover!

Dont buy a slidefire stock. Its dumb. But if you do. Let me shoot it. Looks fun.
    When did you take the course? Did you do Land Nav?

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    When did you take the course? Did you do Land Nav?

Did they stop doing that? I took mine only about two years ago and did it...

As fire as the slide fire I agree with the other member saying it would be useful against oncoming vehicle... Or maybe a bear...

Anyway slap it on a spare AR and lock it away for when the apocalypse comes and then keep it in your trunk for road blocks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom