• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support Universal Background checks?

• Total voters

mwrookie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2018
    IL
    I support "Common sense" gun violence laws! If you use a gun to commit any crime.If you are guilty, You are sentenced to death within 3 days. Your execution is broadcast on all national and local news shows. Watching is mandatory in all schools.

I agree..they should get the chair

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Note for all about this post - I'm sketchy on the precise details so if you catch a minor error, good on you. I think my basic point (that Vaquero is right) still stands.
    Basic weapons safety, proficiency and maintenance should be required curriculum in public schools.
    AFAIK, not even the Russians do this anymore. A decade or so ago, every 17-year old kid had to pass this timed test in high school:

If the U.S. worked like that, would anybody even conceive of background checks for private sales? I think not.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Among my many discussions about gun rights, a license was proposed. Would it be any better to get a gun owners license similar to a driver's license? Showing proficiency at whatever level you want to reach. Revolver, semi, etc.

Which Amendment guarantees my right to operate a motor vehicle again?

A license and even background checks simply tell you that at a particular time a person was not involved in something deemed prohibited. It says nothing of that person's current mental state or what machinations they may be having either.
    In my experience a good portion of crazy muthatruckers out there look and act like the most normal person you know. Especially when medicated. Many can hold it together pretty well and most definitely for the amount of time it takes to do a FTF sale. If it makes you feel better to do a background check or a BOS or check a license, go for it, but don't tell me you would feel any different if some guy who you "vetted", went off the rails with your gun or that you would feel any less shaken by a visit to your door by LE over it either.

Basic weapons safety, proficiency and maintenance should be required curriculum in public schools.
    We fear that which we do not understand.
    Too many people don't understand firearms and how they work.

If it helps, it's part of our home school curriculum. ;)

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Maybe this wouldn’t even be a topic for discussion IF private sellers were more cautious and conscientious about who they sell their guns to? NONE of us should want guns falling into the wrong hands, yet many are only worried about getting the cash in hand without doing due diligence on who they are selling their guns to.
    Personally, my standards for selling my guns are actually higher than that set forth by state and federal law. I run my own background checks using s/w that I pay for out of my own pocket. If I have any doubts whatsoever about the character and judgement of a potential buyer, I simply don’t sell to that person. My guns, my rules.
    I don't sell my guns either.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Maybe this wouldn’t even be a topic for discussion IF private sellers were more cautious and conscientious about who they sell their guns to?.

It’s only a topic of discussion because some people mistakenly believe if you control who gets to buy a gun, then guns won’t be used in criminal activity.

NONE of us should want guns falling into the wrong hands, yet many are only worried about getting the cash in hand without doing due diligence on who they are selling their guns to.

I don’t think any responsible gun owner wants wants a firearm they possess to fall into the “wrong hands”. Show me where it states that a non-FFL holder is required to perform due diligence.

Personally, my standards for selling my guns are actually higher than that set forth by state and federal law. I run my own background checks using s/w that I pay for out of my own pocket. If I have any doubts whatsoever about the character and judgement of a potential buyer, I simply don’t sell to that person. My guns, my rules.

That’s nice. It’s your choice. You can’t force that on me, though. More importantly, what background check fully prevents a purchaser from using a firearm obtained from you in a crime?

There is no magic behind a background check. We can’t even prevent national security material from being leaked without a more thorough background check + CI+ lifestyle polygraph being routinely conducted by pros on the people with access to the protected material.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That won't work inside that box, you have to attach a criteria to it, in this case, full name, SS# and check box that says Gun purchase. Then it works

How does the app know if the SSAN is valid to the person filling in the info?

Sorry, but you can buy full identities good enough to get a biometric passport pretty cheap and pretty easy.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Among my many discussions about gun rights, a license was proposed. Would it be any better to get a gun owners license similar to a driver's license? Showing proficiency at whatever level you want to reach. Revolver, semi, etc.

Nope.

Licensing does not prevent criminal behavior. Otherwise, no licensed driver would ever speed.

More people are killed by drunk and/distracted drivers than by guns.

**** that, too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Licensing is dangerous. Its also unethical. For example at a few gun shows I worked: a few elderly folks who don't have the strength or ability to be tactical or probably pass a gun test. Its obvious its a point blank type of scenario. Now any time we allow the government to require things for a permit you will always have that percent that fail. I garentee they would fail old people based on similar DMV style age discrimination. Democrats would probably be like oh he's in a wheel chair...no...nope. He can't have a gun. Bs. I know better than to play the permit to own a gun game.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    How does the app know if the SSAN is valid to the person filling in the info?

Sorry, but you can buy full identities good enough to get a biometric passport pretty cheap and pretty easy.
    Plus, I have a basic litmus test for giving out my SSN (this is the first time I've seen it called a SSAN)...

1) What income are you going to pay me?
    2) Are you extending credit to me? followup question- hard or soft credit report?
    3) What law requires me to give out my SSN?

Aside from this, pound sand, or if you insist (and I believe it's not illegal for me to do so) I'll tell you this number, delivered just like this:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Licensing is dangerous. Its also unethical. For example at a few gun shows I worked: a few elderly folks who don't have the strength or ability to be tactical or probably pass a gun test. Its obvious its a point blank type of scenario. Now any time we allow the government to require things for a permit you will always have that percent that fail. I garentee they would fail old people based on similar DMV style age discrimination. Democrats would probably be like oh he's in a wheel chair...no...nope. He can't have a gun. Bs. I know better than to play the permit to own a gun game.
    This sums up how I feel about "licensing"

Top Bottom