Capitol Armory ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If you're at starting load and you seat to 1.100 you'll still be fine. Seating deeper increase pressure. Increasing powder also increases pressure. So make sure you start at the starting load. Maybe check your data against other data. Sometimes you'll see huge differences from mfg to mfg.

It was a 120gr bullet over titegroup powder, right?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Yes sir. Busting clays at 25 yds, brass popping back and landing at my feet. Until I got the bigass and didn’t wait the required three seconds between trigger pulls, then the rds began to spred out. But the barrel was clean, only powder residue after 30 rds.

Everything is loaded so I need to lube my casts, load those then pack for the second-favorite-son’s family shooting excursion tomorrow. They’re about to buy a new and I want to make sure I get a walk-in closet at least! Might have to threaten to let the Grandson fondle my uncle’s Pearl bringback!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Yes sir. Busting clays at 25 yds, brass popping back and landing at my feet. Until I got the bigass and didn’t wait the required three seconds between trigger pulls, then the rds began to spred out. But the barrel was clean, only powder residue after 30 rds.

Everything is loaded so I need to lube my casts, load those then pack for the second-favorite-son’s family shooting excursion tomorrow. They’re about to buy a new and I want to make sure I get a walk-in closet at least! Might have to threaten to let the Grandson fondle my uncle’s Pearl bringback!

A new what??? You might be a redneck if your richest relative bought a new home and you helped take the wheels off?

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I went out today and finished sorting the crate of brass and ammo can of brass. It was almost all rifle brass, .243, .270, .308, .30-06, and some .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W.

I have no need for a lot of this. But I'm a hoarder.

roadapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Claude, Texas
    View attachment 201917

I went out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours and cast up a big pile of these. This pic was taken early in the session. That's a 123 gr hollowpoint for my 300 Blackout build. The hollowpoint goes clear down to the crimp groove.
    Those look really good! The temperature of the lead pot is right on the money, the bullets look very uniform and concentric. Your cast bullets look better than many factory produced hard lead bullets. You could sell these at a nice price, and you would not be able to keep up with demand once word got out! If these shoot as accurate as they look, you would have to hire help and lease factory space in order to keep up with demand... that is, if you went into the bullets production business!

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I have a need for the last three if you don't.

I'll keep the 45 Colt, I have dies and conversion kit for my 650. I lack the means to unload the ammo. Maybe soon....

I'll let ya know on the rest. There is going to be a S&W 460 coming up for sale soon and whomever buys it might want that brass.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I've lubed my last casts!

rip-, can you send me smoke's info so I can get cranking on PCing? I'll Oder today or tomorrow then in the meantime I'll look for a toaster oven. Got any recommendations on that, besides whatever I find at the Goodwill store.

Thanks rp-

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Facebook groups. Go to the Facebook market and type in toaster oven. If no luck try Craigslist. You know there's some mom somewhere that's trying to sell one for cheap.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

rip-, can you send me smoke's info so I can get cranking on PCing? I'll Oder today or tomorrow then in the meantime I'll look for a toaster oven. Got any recommendations on that, besides whatever I find at the Goodwill store.

Thanks rp-

https://roseyspowdercoating.com/collections/all

Seriously, get a pound of Astatic Red and a pound of Ink Black. I just had more delivered today. Two great powders.

Also if you're serious, get a counter top convection oven. Much easier to control temperature.

Or go to https://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/ and get some Hi-Tek. I prefer it over the powder coat. Same oven advise.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I went out early and moved the .45 ACP Dillon 650 over about 6" on the bench. That gives enough room that both presses can be used at the same time.

My shooting buddy came over today. He loaded 700 rounds of 9mm and I did 400 rounds of .45 ACP. My order from NOE showed up today so I can now load all my pretty boolits for .300 Blackout.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks rp-

I always just contact Smoke through his Cast Boolits account.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

I've been playing around with his translucent copper PC, and I'm liking it a lot.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Found a pic of the Translucent Copper. It's purdy.

TkVhZNN.jpg

Attachments

• TkVhZNN.jpg
      TkVhZNN.jpg
      200.7 KB · Views: 498

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    But what concerns me is why the book says 1.11OAL if it doesn't matter.

As they're loaded now there really isn't any leading but if I seat them with the whole shank in it's going to jack up the pressure pretty good, right?
    Do you suggest I drop below start listing? I've done this before when I found my quiet load with CFEp but had quite a bit of experience with that AND I was using a PC'd bullet.

And I'll be going there soon? Screw this lube chit!

The length simply reflects their choices and bullet. Your bullet is going to be slightly different and so will your results. There is some room to adjust and you should based on your specific situation. What is important is that you dont do something stupid that good reloading experience would prevent.

What do I mean? If the listed length is 1.100" and you drop it to 1.080" it is highly, highly improbable that pressure will magically spike and your gun is blown up. It doesn't work that way in the vast majority of cases (literally and figuratively) unless you are at some exotic corner and 9mm is not one. That is especially true in production guns, remember a test barrel for pressure is not like your gun, it is the worst case possible for testing purposes.

For instance, I prefer 1.125" for my 9mm and load around that. A certain manufacturers 147 has an ogive that makes loading that long risky (does not clear a SAAMI cut leade) so I load it down at 1.080. I simply adjust my powder charge to maintain the velocity I want. It is only a 20FPS delta but I correct for it. There is no way that you are in any danger zone with that small of a change in this instance. 20FPS is within the expected standard deviation but a minor powder adjustment and you are back on track.

If you change something small and your velocity spikes 150FPS and recoil went up dramatically, then you know you are at a cliff and need to step back. My point is know the variables and when you can manipulate them to avoid being there.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Well shit... Maybe that's where I got 1.125" from. I thought I pulled it out of thin air. I load all my 9s the same, except for the HST. The profile was different and I needed to adjust for it.

Top Bottom