Hurley's Gold

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Boxing up rounds. Tried to pull some culls but can't figure and the small collet for the 223s. Tried using the shell holder but it's screwing up the rims so that's off the table. I ordered a new set of collets. Will pull them next week. View attachment 215704

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Have you considered a press mounted collet puller or is that what you are using?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Well hell. Preliminary looks like heavy leading. Not smoky, accurate, mild recoil. Sadly I didn't check between 3.3 and 3.5.

Now I get to try and figure what caused the leading.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Well hell. Preliminary looks like heavy leading. Not smoky, accurate, mild recoil. Sadly I didn't check between 3.3 and 3.5.

Now I get to try and figure what caused the leading.

Likely the leading is being caused by gas blowing by the bullet. You may need to slug the barrel to get an accurate size and a slightly larger diameter to get a better seal.

If you are swaging them down you may need a slightly larger swaging die.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    If you have a good seal they shouldn’t as far as I know.

Slugging the barrel will let you know what you are working with in relation to bullet diameter. Of course if the coating is damaged during bullet seating it may pose an avenue for that to occur.

My experience with coated bullets was from a couple of decades ago when I was getting coated bullets in .429 for use in .44mag.

There was a thread on this forum or a different forum one on this topic. I will attempt to find it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    What did you size your bullets to? And did you try smashing a bullet with a hammer to see if the powder comes off?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    .356 sizing die.
    The boolits I’m using first were cooked at 200 for 20 minutes. The bulk of them were cooked at 400 for 20.
    One patch with acetone cleaned it right up. I’m using an LWD barrel.

I’ll measure my “better” boolits when I get back home.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If you cleaned it with one patch it wasn't lead. Probably just powder residue. Maybe 3.3gr isn't enough powder. Some seem to be dirty if you don't have enough powder in my experience. Sooty cases are a dead giveaway. We're your cases sooty?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also, 20 @ 200* doesn't seem nearly hot enough. I do mine at 400. Maybe your power coat was flaking in the barrel or burning off.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    They didn’t look to be.

No KB so I may up the powder for next time. New to TG so watching everything closely.

If it’s lead It may be not enough flair or too much crimp. The stuff I have no experience with.

Thanks guys.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    120s, cast & pc'd, seated to 1.084.

Got 20 done then the drive hub nub sheared off. Flipping hornady. I googled it and several were able to get 20-50 rounds loaded before the new one sheared!

I'll call hornady tomorrow and get another sent out but if they give me too much crap I'll tell them what I think of them and their weak products and non-existant customer service. Hell, RCBS has fixed three sizing dies I've stuck cases in and the dollars spent on RCBS products is nothing compared to hornady dollars!

So, currently I have 15 rounds that dropin/out of my g17 barrel and 25 that drop in/out of my LWD barrel!

Top Bottom