• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Absolutely
    You need to replenish your serotonin levels. A low carb diet depletes serotonin, which causes anger, crankiness and depression.
    The B vitamins, vitamin D, niacin and folic acid make serotonin. Take these vitamins and you will start to feel better after a couple of weeks. Maybe sooner depending on how your body metabolizes.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Thanks.
    I'll get some supplements asap.
    Venture Surplus ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My hypoglycemia has me on a high protein , low carb diet.
    Hair loss don't mean much to me. It's happening.
    My mood though. Yeah. I've been "cranky " lately.

Any pro tips?
    I'd rather be happy.

Not so much the hair loss, but the cranky. My wife needs to hear about this. She's on week 4 of the low / no carb diet.

A STFU didn't work out so well. I'm resorting to spiking her drinks with Emergen C.

Reactions: MTA

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The B vitamins, vitamin D, niacin and folic acid make serotonin. Take these vitamins and you will start to feel better after a couple of weeks.
    Thanks for the tip. or My wife will thank you. I always get cranky around meal time.
    Some of those protein shakes are high on carbs too .

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Chicken fried backstrap, biscuits and gravy, and french style green beans.

It was one of my favorite meals growing up, so I made it for my girls and we feasted tonight.

I’m sitting on the couch with a full belly and heavy eyelids.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Wife loves Asian food. Cooked up some ground turkey, ginger and garlic. Once that was done, thew in a bunch of shredded carrots, cabbage and green onions. Put a sauce of siracha, soy, sesame oil etc. On top. 'twas killer.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Wife loves Asian food. Cooked up some ground turkey, ginger and garlic. Once that was done, thew in a bunch of shredded carrots, cabbage and green onions. Put a sauce of siracha, soy, sesame oil etc. On top. 'twas killer.
    I bought ground turkey for the first time since I get so sick with beef now. How's it taste?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I bought ground turkey for the first time since I get so sick with beef now. How's it taste?

It's definitely not as flavorful as beef. If it goes into stuff with a lot of spices etc. you'll never know the difference. We've been eating it for years. I pretty much make everything out of it you'd use ground beef for - tacos, wimpy chili, casseroles etc. Where it's really noticeable is in burgers and meatloaf. It doesn't have the earthy taste of ground beef.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    It's definitely not as flavorful as beef. If it goes into stuff with a lot of spices etc. you'll never know the difference. We've been eating it for years. I pretty much make everything out of it you'd use ground beef for - tacos, wimpy chili, casseroles etc. Where it's really noticeable is in burgers and meatloaf. It doesn't have the earthy taste of ground beef.
    Thanks. I'll make sure to be picky about its uses then. Good to know

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We've been eating it for years.
    A good reason is the value, too. My routine:
    • Bring a five-gallon pot with enough water to cover the turkey to a boil.
    • Add whole, thawed turkey.
    • Return to a fast boil.
    • Cover.
    • Boil for 3 hours.
    • Turn off the heat.
    • Do not uncover.
    • Allow to sit until you can comfortably dip your hands in the water. You have to guess by touching the outside of the pot.
    • Uncover.
    • De-bone the turkey.
    • Throw all the bones, skin, and miscellaneous bits back in the pot.
    • Divide and package the meat. Refrigerate or freeze.
    • Simmer the pot until it has reduced a bunch. It's a judgement call based mostly on how large a storage container you'll be using.
    • Strain the pot contents through cheesecloth.
    • Throw away what was strained out.
    • Put the liquid in a tall container and refrigerate.
    The next day, you have packages of meat useful for any purpose, from just eating out of the bag to making salad, sandwiches, soup or stir-fry dishes. The meat is juicy and delicious. Most people don't believe that's possible but as long as you remember to never put any salt in the boiling water, the meat will re-absorb moisture and be wonderful.

Also, the liquid will have separated. If you have a tall, narrow container for the liquid, by the next day there will be a solid lid of fat on top. Pop that off and discard it. Beneath, there will be a turkey aspic that can be portioned and frozen. It's a wonderful soup starter. It makes pretty much an instant, low-sodium broth that can be used anywhere chicken broth is needed.

Personally, I often throw into a wok a bag of frozen veggies, a portion of meat, a portion of aspic, a bit of water, and some spices. The result is a very quick, very nice soup.

If I lived alone, this would pretty much be my protein staple. It's terribly cost-effective. Sis isn't such a fan so I rarely do it anymore but that doesn't make the concept any less valid.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I honestly wonder why more people don't do exactly that. I guarantee that if you try to buy a turkey in August, people will be looking at you funny.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Turkeys in August or any time totally off-season are often the least costly meat, as in amount of protein per dollar, in the whole store.

Great post. Thanks...
    When I was a kid we did the same thing in a large pot using a couple of older hens that had quit laying (if they didn't go in a gumbo).

Hens are hard to find these days and drug raised fryer$ wouldn't be cost effective. Chicken is about as expensive today as beef was five years ago. Turkey is great for that method, as the meat holds up better/longer.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

We've been buying a frozen veggie blend and doing basically the same thing. Only using the Braggs Amino's instead of soy sauce.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Chicken wings cost more than Boneless chicken breast these days. I have tried the ground turkey it seems very dry. maybe I will try the 50/50 mix next time

gummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Texas
    I cut chicken up in little cubes and cook it in Frank's Red Hot. Then I throw it in salads for the rest of the week. It's so good it doesn't feel like a diet.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    1281ce7ab47e718191cf1a3b6e502e95.jpg

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The tater and corn are a no-no for low carb. The steak is a no-no for store bought teeth. Visit your dentist regularly or you too can touch the end of your nose with your tongue....GRIN

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Sous vide pork butt steak ($1.98/lb), cooked at 140F for 2:00. Turned out a bit too well done for me, but still tender, if not as juicy as I like. The okra was sous vide cooked leftover's from a meal earlier in the week. Still, a solid 8 for an easy to fix meal that hung around for a couple of hours until I was ready to eat.

SousVidePorkButtSteak.JPG SousVidePorkButtSteak2.JPG

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Sous vide pork butt steak, and a wine/mushroom gravy, made with the drippings that'll make you slap yo mama, for damned sure ... served on rice.
    SousVidePorkButtSteakRice&Gravy.JPG

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom