• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    A few years ago I was on a business trip in Newcastle, in the beautiful Tyne & Weare area and was booked in a small hotel that was run by Indians. There was an attached restaurant and they made a great chicken curry. I never forgot that and tried to recreate that dish many times, getting closer ...
    IMG_0533.JPG

Besides chicken and the obviously liberal applied amount of curry, I added two cloves of garlic, half an onion, sherry, coconut milk and coconut flakes, some salt and lime.

The greatest thing is that as a cook you have to neutralize them taste buds, as I learnt from the French Haute Cuisine, I use beer and it makes the work a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.JPG
      IMG_0533.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 282
    Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My beloved Darla is in CA taking care of a sick kid-sister, so tonight's supper is some of her homemade lasagna, that I "squirreled away" in the freezer & some garlic bread.
    (Having a Sicilian lady, who was taught to cook the traditional foods of Sicily by her grandmother, is a BLESSING.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ^This

Still haven't gotten a better chicken curry anywhere but the UK.

karlac,

ONE of the VERY FEW things that I miss about being stationed in Northern VA was the GREAT Indian food at a little, family-owned, Indian cafe near my house there. = NO "atmosphere" BUT outstanding "home-style" Indian food & LOW/discounted prices (if you happened to be over 65YO and/or US military/a veteran. = 20% discount on everything.)

I wish that I could find a similar local cafe in San Antonio, that has GREAT curry & fresh/hot nan!!!
    (There is a GREAT Thai place here & that has about a dozen kinds of WONDERFUL CURRY, IF I have time to drive up to Stone Oak.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Andyd,

IF/WHEN you figure out the recipe, PLEASE post it on the forum. - I love chicken curry.

yours, satx

I never really use recipes, I just toss things together. I don't measure quantities and so everything is always a little different. I love cooking and will try to get the recipe written down but the exact quantities will not be there.

I had sweet-talked the server in that hotel and she gave me a few hints about what ingredients I needed. Most of my dishes are German, though.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I never really use recipes, I just toss things together. I don't measure quantities and so everything is always a little different. I love cooking and will try to get the recipe written down but the exact quantities will not be there.

Mais cher, you'd make a good coonass, you!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Andyd,

You sound as if you cook by the same "taste & add technique" that my late Aunt Mary & my governess used when I was a child. = NEITHER ever wrote anything down & when they passed away, I lost the chance to EVER enjoy any of their specialties again.

My Aunt Mary's "Hot Tamale Pie" was "to die for" & she wouldn't even tell Mother what her "recipe" was. = I've tried to duplicate the taste for over 3 decades with ZERO success.

In the case of my governess, "Sister Willie Mae", when I asked her for her "secret" Mississippi chicken & dumplings recipe, said, "Don't worry, Sweetie. I'll always make it for you when you want some".
    (Less than a month later, I was a pallbearer at her funeral.)

yours, satx

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    I had tried to teach my sons when they were little to at least learn about different spices and always called them to taste the food and tell me what it needed. None of them really got into cooking but my oldest son has started asking me how to make a few dishes lately and I hope when he comes visiting me in Texas in February that I will be able to teach him how to make a few of his favorite dishes. While I have recipes for them passed down from my mother's family for generations, it will be hard to find some ingredients here in Texas.

I could finally get the banana bread recipe from the daughter of my old Florida neighbor, a 96 year old Jamaicon lady who made amazingly good food and loved cooking for my sons and me. Carribean food can be excellent! A couple of days ago I had made chicken and Haitian rice and black beans for my son.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF you want your children/grandchildren to ENJOY their favorite dishes that you make/made for them, WRITE THE RECIPES DOWN & give the recipes to your kids/grandkids.
    As Jim Morrison used to say, "Nobody here is getting out of here alive."
    (Jim is DEAD, too.)

ADDENDA: I'm taking my own advice, as I'm currently writing down her favorite recipes, to give to my daughter.

yours, satx

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    IF you want your children/grandchildren to ENJOY their favorite dishes that you make/made for them, WRITE THE RECIPES DOWN & give the recipes to your kids/grandkids.

Have a DropBox folder (160 files +/-) I share with folks on request, full of family Cajun recipes; many I learned from watching Mom cook for a family of 7; as well as many collected down through the years from various sources, family, friends and those I recognized as authentic by real Cajun cooks on the webz more recently.

Three sisters, one deceased, none of whom took the time to learn. Always been a cook, mainly because I appreciate a good dish regardless of the ethnicity; and, being married to a true blonde from AR, someone has to know how to cook. ;)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    karlac,

Would you like to "adopt me" as a cousin?? = I'd LOVE to get copies of your Cajun/family recipes.
    (I once lived in south LA.)

yours, satx

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    karlac,

Would you like to "adopt me" as a cousin?? = I'd LOVE to get copies of your Cajun/family recipes.
    (I once lived in south LA.)

It's there purposely to share, in the spirit of your #1434
    All ya gotta do is PM me with a good email that will works with DropBox.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Here is the recipe for the

Chicken Curry:

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast ( cut in strips)

-sprinkle with lawry's garlic salt
    -3 cloves of garlic or some garlic powder
    -1/4 onion ( finely chopped)

fry together, 5 to 10 minutes at high heat
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/4 cup sherry or 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
    1 banana
    1/2 apple
    3 TS of curry
    1 TS Knorr Chicken Flavour bouillon
    2 TS tomato sauce
    1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes

blend together above ingredients
    pour over the fried chicken, onion and garlic, simmer without lid until the water is evaporated to have a thick sauce, about an hour. Add some lime. Stir occasionally.

You may add more curry and cream or wine and salt to taste at the end.

And most importantly, have a cold one while preparing it!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom