• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You, sir, are a ruffian and a scoundrel.
    Incapable of appreciating elegant weapons from a more refined age is most unseemly.

BTW, they let y'all drink on the short bus?
    Somebody mention elegant weapons from a refined age?
    IMG_2111.JPG
    Hurley's Gold

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a few that I shoot regularly. My dad's service revolver doesn't get shot often. Its a nice big Smith he paid $35 for in 1957, his first year on the police force.

My Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag is a jewel, I love it. And I have a couple of the Heritage 22LR pistols.

Wheel guns are great for kids to learn to shoot on. No worry about rapid fire like with a SA. Had that happen before and its a little scary. They have to master the revolver before they get to shoot the SAs.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Feb 27, 2009
    Bought this Colt .45 tem years ago. Love the mellow elephant ivory grips. Don't care much for all the embellishments except for the cool backstrap:

812253a456de8118b430929d4a4ed3e6c08b351.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This .357 New Vaquero is the last wheelgun I bought....

38415848da15bb06aab0a5ca8c3deb03b33bd8b.JPG

I have this gun in 45 Colt, but with wood grips. The brown wood grips go nicely with the dark brown holster I bought for it. I love it.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ah, that's the "original" Vaquero with the larger frame (Ruger downsized the New Vaquero frames about 10 years ago to the lighter Colt SAA size). Your .45 Colt Vaquero can shoot the "Ruger only" higher pressure .45 Colt loads, whereas the New Vaqueros in .45 Colt can only take standard factory loads.
    Yours is a beautiful & desirable keeper.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ah, that's the "original" Vaquero with the larger frame (Ruger downsized the New Vaquero frames about 10 years ago to the lighter Colt SAA size). Your .45 Colt Vaquero can shoot the "Ruger only" higher pressure .45 Colt loads, whereas the New Vaqueros in .45 Colt can only take standard factory loads.
    How can you tell the difference?

I have had people ask me the difference and I have no clue.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    New model has a slimmer frame and grip.
    Hammer shape slightly different.
    Difficult to tell unless they're side by side.
    Now if Ruger would just delete that silly barrel stamp!

BooCocky

Brown Button Glutton
    Mar 11, 2017
    South Texas
    New model has a slimmer frame and grip.
    Hammer shape slightly different.
    Difficult to tell unless they're side by side.
    Now if Ruger would just delete that silly barrel stamp!
    Yeah I hate that warning crap. Also not a fan of the transfer bar, but it isn’t horrible. I just wish there was another American company making a decent wheelgun. There’s smith and Wesson but in my opinion they’re not like they used to be. I would love it if Henry announced they’re going to make a single action revolver line. I bet they’d make a decent gun.

Ruger has declined in quality. They used to have skilled craftsmen making fine guns. Now they have monkeys assembling shit. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan, and own some new models with warnings and transfer bars, but when I see a pre warning or non converted, I get excited. I traded a guy a Springfield XD45 in the case with all the plastic shit they come with, for an old pre warning 3 screw Ruger. The guy was like, “are you sure?”. As if I was getting the short end of the deal. Lol.

I’m always on the lookout for old wheel guns. I scored a 1976 liberty bicentennial 6” security six a few weeks ago. Stuff like this is much more satisfying that a plastic semiauto.

Attachments

• Security Six 1.JPG
      Security Six 1.JPG
      1 MB · Views: 180
    Last edited:

BooCocky

Brown Button Glutton
    Mar 11, 2017
    South Texas
    I just got this the other day. It is a .22 black powder. Uses #11 caps. It came with 50 rounds of bullets. I plan on using .22 pellets or #4 lead shot once I shoot these. Paid $200 shipped from buds

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
      IMG_1090.JPG
      1.4 MB · Views: 162

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

It is very much a gorgeous gun. It looks great in the brown leather holster I bought for it. The handles match the holster almost perfectly. It is a great gun to shoot, and very accurate.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I just got this the other day. It is a .22 black powder. Uses #11 caps. It came with 50 rounds of bullets. I plan on using .22 pellets or #4 lead shot once I shoot these. Paid $200 shipped from buds

Neat-O!

Range report?

Top Bottom