• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Figured the stainless barrel would give it away. It's a DMPS Recon RFA3. Few guys in the National Guard recommended it as well as a couple police officers locally. I am considering putting a chrome bolt and firing pin in it since most of the complaints I have read have been about the bolt.

What did you buy? All I see is a pic of a black rifle.

Rainman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Montgomery County, Texas
    All DHS components (CBP, Border patrol, ICE, HSI, FPS) issue COLT M4 rifles (14.5") with the SOPMOD kit. KAC rails and Eotec sights. SRT/BORTAC guys get MK18 uppers (10.5"), Shotgun is 14" 870. All other long guns (MP5, UMP 40, AUG, FN P90) are gone or are in the process of being phased out.

OP, get a Colt 6920, BCM or Daniel Defense. You get what you pay for. Skip the DPMS, Del Ton, Bushmaster stuff. Folks who talk about how rock solid their sample size of one has been do not have a large sample size to draw from. Colt has held on the the military contract for rifles for 50+ year, partly because of politics, but mostly because they build a quality rifle consistently. If you want a plinker type rifle you shoot 50 rounds a year through, get a cheap rifle. If you want a rifle that will go 50K rounds, and that you would bet your life of, get a quality rifle.

Cabelas is WAY over priced. Folks here are pointing you in the right direction with GT Distributors. Keep in mind, no one here is making a sales commission off of this. Any sales man might be truthful, or he might be out to make a sale, and a huge profit at your expense. $1300 for a DPMS or $995 for a Colt?? Gun shows have DPMS for around $750 all day long. And at $750 I would be wary of buying one. Get the Colt and have a gun you can always resell it without losing your ass, you buy that DPMS and you will be lucky to get $700 if you sell it.

It is you money and you life. Spend your $$ how you want. You have been warned. I hope whatever you get works out for you. This should be a fun experience, not a stressful one.

Pretty damn good post. Allow me to jump in the tub with ya....Colt has a little more history with the AR than ANYBODY. If it has a picture of a Horsey on it it is the real deal. No Horsey? Then it is a copy of an AR15. There are good ones and bad ones, and great ones, yet there is the Colt for half of an LWRC, 1/3 of an HK, less than half of a LaRue, and ALL those are GREAT rifles, but will do no more than the 6920 at the end of the day.

1k-$1200 for a 6920/M4 is a great price. We sell them all day for $1079-$1249 depending on the model. The M4A1 rifle is a sweet heart too....

If you HAVE to have a quad cheeze grater, and bells and whistles AND still be under $1100, I'd go with the Rock River. It is a decent commercial AR for the money. Me, I like military/LE grade quality control and materials, so I stick with Colt. I do have an LWRC REPR that is a hell of a rifle, and I also will admit to buying PWS and Noveske uppers on occasion during moments of AR Pistol weakness. Wicked fun those little Mk107 Diablo pistols....

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Figured the stainless barrel would give it away. It's a DMPS Recon RFA3. Few guys in the National Guard recommended it as well as a couple police officers locally. I am considering putting a chrome bolt and firing pin in it since most of the complaints I have read have been about the bolt.
    Chrome bolt's are pricey. You can get a complete BCM bolt carrier group for not much more.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I just remembered that after buying 500 rounds, so looks like I'll need to go get some Herters at Academy LOL

...or go to a different range.

Hit a different range. Any range run by people ignorant enough to think FMJ increases ricochets isn't worth going to.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Wow is it thick in here. Colt doesn't even use barrels that are in the M4 (by that I mean FN CHF barrels.)
    I thought the m4 wasn't CHF? I know the 249 uses a CHF barrel because it is a true full auto.

Not sure what I might be talking about.......

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Looking it up, I see the Canadian version uses a CHF barrel because it is a full auto version. It is amazing how much you can read when you get interested in a certain firearm.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I am considering building my own AR and have been reading for hours. Mil Spec on an M4 is not a CHF barrel and what I have read, Colt does not even produce a M4 CHF barrel period, they even contract it out if one is required. The m4 is not condered a full auto weapon, it's a burst and Mil Spec does not require a CHF barrel for that rate of fire.

Correct me if I am wrong. I know because it is on the Internet does not make it true.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Yeah I was wrong. Still doesn't make anything less deep. I just find it funny that people buy Colts because they want the best longest lasting rifle, when they can get a better even longer lasting rifle elsewhere.
    I dont think it's considered the best longest lasting rifle. It is however considered the standard to match others too. From all I am reading, they are the ones that have a multi million dollar contract and have retained it for 50+ years. I find that hard to argue against. Honest, my time in the Army was as an Engineer and I was issued an m16a1 (marked Ar-15) made by General Motors Turbo Hydro Division and I could not tell the difference in the dark.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Brought this subject up to a coworker today. He is an avid AR guy and he said Colt quality has deteriorated drastically in the last couple of years. Any truth to that?

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Brought this subject up to a coworker today. He is an avid AR guy and he said Colt quality has deteriorated drastically in the last couple of years. Any truth to that?
    I don't know first hand, don't own one, but I can not see how they could since they are built to a certain spec and that has always been the spec. Maybe other companies are using a higher standard, therefore Colt may not be the best out there anymore. I know one thing, I can tell just by matching price tags on those other companies, colt can still put one out that beats most other high quality prices by up to 400 bucks.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out. Build it? Buy it? I don't freakin know. I can get a spikes lower for $400 and a complete upper from model 1 sales for about $400. I'm so freakin confused lol

Top Bottom