• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out. Build it? Buy it? I don't freakin know. I can get a spikes lower for $400 and a complete upper from model 1 sales for about $400. I'm so freakin confused lol

I feel ya. I know building one is not physically difficult, it's a matter of what parts to use made by whom.

That has changed. Remington won the contract to make the newest M4's.

I was reading on it. They are selling them to the Government for near half the price of Colt.

Rainman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Montgomery County, Texas
    Yeah I was wrong. Still doesn't make anything less deep. I just find it funny that people buy Colts because they want the best longest lasting rifle, when they can get a better even longer lasting rifle elsewhere.

LOL...It's all good.

1911s and AR15s are alike...They are THE most copied firearms on the planet, and the real ones are made by COLT! :patriot:
    Yeah, I know....I drank my first cup of Colt Kool-aid in 1975, and been hooked on it since. I also enjoy HK Soda and FN on the rocks!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will say I have an M&P and my dad has a colt, can't really tell the difference outside model variations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    All colt ever did was successfully market what has always been an Armalite/Stoner designed rifle. I admit that Armalite isn't the company it once was but neither is any other gun company now a days. Colt was one of the last companies to enter the digital age of machining technology. For the longest time, everything was done by hand. The old world process has it's pluses and minuses but overall consistency is always the achilles heel of hand made stuff. It seems that they are still recognized as the original even though it was never their design from the get-go. There are so many ways to configure an AR, building it to your specs yourself may be the best choice.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just looked up 3d printers, at $17,000 I will just buy a registered M16 or a lot of other guns, maybe an anzio ironworks 20mm and some ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Bought my wife a DPMS sportical, it's better than a Noveske or any other AR on the market, lol.

I believe there are some lower quality ARs out there, and ALOT of good quality ARs and very few Outstanding quality ARs.

I also believe the average person will shoot a DPMS, colt, M&P, Rock River or any other mid quality AR and never feel let down.

Those who strive for the details will see the difference but I believe as long as it cycles and has minimal play in the upper and lower a barrel swap would probably put a mid range in the same shooting class as any other high end rifle, just my opinion. But some people get way to upidy about this stuff.

john_henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Garland/Dallas
    You can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson, but I would personally go with Colt or the Sig M400. I've shot all 3 and the one that felt the lightest with the least recoil was the colt LE with magpul furniture. If you are really on a budget though and still want a decent gun I would look into Core15. They are a company that was started by folks laid off by Bushmaster and they are surprisingly good rifles. They make both DI and piston guns for under $1000 and the cheapest I've found is at a defense distributor here in Texas called GT distributors (gtdist.com). Just something else to through into the mix, I don't think I'll ever buy a DI gun again. Piston all the way.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'm not as familiar with the with the latest-and-greatest AR models out there. I cut my teeth on 1980's M-16s while I was in the service that were as loose as Amsterdam whores so the platform (and the whores) left a bad taste in my mouth when I left. Fast forward many years later and I got the itch to buy an AR after lurking around a few forums. Everyone recommended Colt this, RRA that, etc. They all looked great but I just couldn't afford even the basic models. Most of them are pretty steep and I wanted to buy a decent (not expensive) sight, a good sling, flashlight (for hunting), and some new furniture (for the - gasp! - bling). I found the Smith Wesson M&P-15 Sport for $600 and had plenty of money left over to buy other components... that was a BIG plus for me, YMMV. The rifle doesn't have a forward-assist or a dust cover. For the way I will use it I doubt I'll need either. It's melonite coated and not chrome but I don't plan (nor can I afford) to run 20,000 rounds through her so the finish should hold. All I cared about ass that she went bang every time I twitched the booger-hook. And she did.

2K+ rounds later and she still functions flawlessly. Granted, I keep her clean and well-lubed but, for the hell of it, I decided to run the last 1000 rounds without her usual post-range pampering... just a drop or two of oil on the bolt every now and then. Not a hitch. I wouldn't hesitate to call on her if my life depended on it.

Here she is:

MP15 Sport Medium.jpg

Smith Wesson M&P-15 Sport - $600
    Magpul AFG, MOE Stock, MOE Grip, Sling Adapter, Picatinny Sling Mount, and MS3 Sling (not pictured) - $200
    Vortex Sparc RDS - $100 (on sale)
    UTG Rail w/ Ladders - $50
    Streamlight TLR-3 Flashlight - $70 (on sale)
    Four P-Mags - $50

Grand Total... just over a grand. Fun-factor? Priceless.

Will this be my last AR? Probably not. I might build my own or just bite the bullet (and risk my marriage) to buy a LaRue next time around. There are far better rifles out there but, in my opinion, very few can match the value of my little sport. It's low price brought me back to the platform and gave me enough wiggle room to buy all of the other "tacticool" shit I wanted to hang off my rifle.

Purists be damned .

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    We're not purests. Just enjoy ribbing. The real purests (sp), that I have seen, have jobs, where their lives depend on the rifle. I like that smith posted above, and think it would be excellent for recreation. I have never seen a light mounted like that. Pretty cool imo. Balanced and hid by the fsp.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I got the impression that ribbing is a required art form here . I gotta practice more...

I think we both agree those guys (true purists) can have whatever they want on their rifles. As you said, their lives depend on it and they sure as hell earned the right to have the best. My statement wasn't meant to offend them... plus they have pretty thick skins anyway.

Took me a while to find a light with a low enough profile to mount it that way. It's in the perfect spot for the thumb-over grip I like and it projects the muzzle shadow down so it doesn't interfere with the view from my RDS. I've seen it done with a Surefire X300 on a Larry Vicker's AR a while back (Larry Vickers Signature Series Daniel Defense M4).

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I'll be in the market for an AR soon. I have SIG, S&W, and Del-ton on my list. It's good to hear that people have had good experiences with all of those brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom