• ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    For you whiskey drinkers you might want to try this:

[h=1]Introducing Ranger Creek Rimfire Mesquite Smoked Texas Whiskey[/h]2012 Small Caliber Series Release
    RC_rimfire_mock.jpg
    BronzeMedalArt-1.jpg

We’re proud to announce the second release in our Small Caliber Series, our line of creative, limited edition whiskeys aged in small barrels and sold in small bottles. Ranger Creek Rimfire is a a scotch-style single malt whiskey, but instead of smoking it with peat we smoked it with Texas mesquite. Using our local ingredient instead of the Scottish ingredient brings out a very different smoke flavor that is well balanced in the whiskey.
    The nose of Rimfire brings about sweet tropical notes of ripe mango and dried banana with a hint of vanilla. The taste is smooth and delicate with a light malty sweetness. And the finish is soft, balanced, and dry with hints of light smoke and roasted chocolate. A few drops of water help to enhance the smoke and highlight the mesquite flavor.
    Bronze Medal, American Craft Distiller’s Association, 2014
    86 points, Jim Murray Whisky Bible, 2014
    B+, The Whiskey Reviewer, 2013
    85 points, Whisky Advocate, 2013
    Bourbon and Oak: “This would be an ideal whiskey choice for those who enjoy scotch but are looking to try something new.” Read more.

[h=3]What’s in a name? A little Texas history[/h]Rimfire is named after the type of ammunition used in the Winchester 1866 “Yellow Boy” repeating rifle. This famous rifle was used by many frontier Texans and is proudly on display in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.
    [h=3]Limited Edition [/h]Each bottle of whiskey in our Small Caliber Series is hand labeled with the batch number, bottle number, season, and maturation time. Limited production of these unique, innovative whiskeys makes them special collector’s item products.
    [h=3]Uniquely Texan and Grain to Glass[/h]Ranger Creek Rimfire, along with all of our products, is handcrafted in San Antonio from grain to glass in a labor intensive, manual process that takes love, time, and dedication. Some competitors take short cuts and buy their spirits from someone else. We do it like true Texans should.

Or

Finest Bourbon I have ever drank:

[h=1]Our Flagship Whiskey: Ranger Creek .36 Texas Bourbon[/h]2011 Small Caliber Series Release
    RC36bottle_noBG_small.jpg

GoldMedalArt.jpg
    FiftyBestDoubleGold.jpg
    StickerBronze2012sm.jpg

It turns out bourbon doesn’t have to be made in Kentucky. So we’re making it in Texas in a truly Texan way by using weather, attitude, and premium ingredients from the Lone Star State. Our goal is not to replicate Kentucky bourbon in Texas but to make Texas Bourbon.
    We’re maturing the same bourbon in both traditional big barrels and non traditional small barrels. The big barrels will take years to fully mature, but the small barrels will mature in a matter of months. Ranger Creek .36 is the small barrel version of our Texas Bourbon. The end result will be an interesting barrel experiment – one of the only kind we know of. We encourage you to buy a bottle of Ranger Creek .36 to drink and another to save and try side-by-side with the big barrel version when its released.
    Ranger Creek .36 is a traditional sour mash bourbon that is handcrafted every step of the way. It’s bold, just like the .36 caliber pistol the Texas Rangers carried that inspired its name. The Texas climate brings out a rich sweetness with hints of vanilla, brown sugar, and maple syrup. And the rye we use provides an undertone of cinnamon spiciness. The result is an award winning, interesting, and unique bourbon that we believe does justice to Texas.
    Appearance: Deep Amber
    Nose: Vanilla and brown sugar with hints of new wood
    Taste: Caramel, toffee, and cinnamon
    Finish: Warm and sweet with notes of back cherry

Silver Medal, Whiskies of the World, 2014 Read more.
    Gold Medal, American Craft Distiller’s Association, 2014
    93 points, Jim Murray Whisky Bible, 2014
    Double Gold Medal, The Fifty Best, 2014 Read more.
    Beverage Testing Institute, 90 points (Exceptional) Read more.
    Bronze Medal, American Distilling Institute 2012
    Whisky Advocate: 86, “One of the better young bourbons I’ve had.” Read more.
    WhiskyCast: 85, “The taste is spicy and crisp with good oak, black pepper, and vanilla notes.” Read more.
    Sour Mash Manifesto: 8.3 (Very Good/Excellent), “If this bourbon is any indication they are doing something right in San Antonio.” Read more.
    Angel’s Share Magazine: “Ranger Creek can certainly take pride in putting their production of Ranger Creek .36 Bourbon Whiskey on the list of must try bourbons from Texas!” Read more.
    Bourbon and Oak: “This whiskey reminded me of having dessert at a fancy restaurant.” Read more.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    How is it?
    I have drank both of the Ranger creek whiskeys. I am not so much a Scotch drinker as I am a Bourbon drinker. I liked their single malt, Mesquite smoked whiskey. BUT the Bourbon is the best I have ever drank in my life and I have been a Bourbon drinker since my college days.

I good friend of mine, WWII fighter pilot, shot down 3 times, escaped each time to fly again...I sent him a bottle and he thinks it the best Bourbon he as ever drank...

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Usually when I drink bourbon, I drink Makers Mark or Jack. Developed that taste early in life. Lol. Never experimented with upscale bourbons like I have scotch. I've gone to numerous scotch tastings where some of the scotches served were $200 a glass type scotch. These days I stay with reasonably priced single malts in the 15+ year range. I know a lot of folks hate on Glen Livet since it seems it's the only scotch most uneducated scotch drinkers can name because of the movie Swingers. I had my first taste of Glen Livet when I was 14 thanks to a friends unknowing father. doh.

I've also gone through a spell in my life where I really enjoyed blended whisky like Chivas and JW. I'll still drink some blended once every other year or something.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Wow. I am totally intrigued. How much is a bottle of that going to set me back?
    LOL I hate to say this, but this is not a everyday drink, you pull this out only when you deem it that good of a day...

I am a sipper of it, forgot what I paid for the first bottle, my second was given to me as a present. Its premo priced, but competitive priced with the other stuff of this quality. I would recommend if you live in or visit SA to take a tour.

When I saw the write up on the Ranger .36 I called BULL CHIT, in fact I did call them up on the fone. He said come on down...I told no NO BOURBON can be aged for a few months and do nothing but taste like bad gasoline. I sold liquor and my lines were Scotch, and Bourbon. I sold for the largest wholesales in Texas, been to all the distilleries and really was trained and knew my stuff. I just did not believe Ranger Creek could pull it off. I went down there and LAUGED out loud at the aging warehouse. Then I drank some...could not believe the quality and taste. When straight down to the store and bought a bottle.

Try it...

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    IF, and that means IF, I happen to have a decent bit of cash to spare, I'll stop in for what I consider to be the best blended scotch on the market. Johnny Walker Blue for me if you will please.

I finished off a bottle of this several months back. I still have the bottle. :D

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've killed several bottles of 40 Creek. It's good if you want to try something different. Also maybe try Collingwood.

First time I had 40 Creek, a guy gave it to me mixed with coke. I almost puked. It's good straight. I prefer rotgut with my coke, like Rebel Yell.

Finishing a big deadline today. I have a bottle of Glenlivit 18 yr old awaiting.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I don’t drink Whisky on a regular basis, but Buchanan’s is the one brand I can drink straight. Along with a Montecristo Classic Churchill.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    First time I had 40 Creek, a guy gave it to me mixed with coke. I almost puked. It's good straight. I prefer rotgut with my coke, like Rebel Yell.

Finishing a big deadline today. I have a bottle of Glenlivit 18 yr old awaiting.

I prefer my drinks without soda.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Bottle of your best whiskey in the fridge

old fashioned glass (6 oz) in the freezer

one cube of clear ice

Ice in frozen glass, pour the whiskey into the glass over the ice to about the 3/4 mark, get your fav Churchill and what the sun go down from the porch...ENJOY

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    For anyone visiting San Antonio, Ranger Creek has a really cool offer. You go out and help them bottle their liquor as a volunteer. On your way out, they hand you a bottle or two. I think dinner might be included as well. My wife and I are wanting to try it. Seems like fun.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    For those interested, I was with a group of guys a while back and we did a blind taste test on single malt scotches.

Several expected the Macallan to be the winner. They were wrong. It came in last. Aborlour 18 was #1. Glenlivit 18 was next, with Macallan bringing up the rear.

But good luck finding Aborlour 18. They stopped making it. 15 is the oldest now. If you find that 18, you better get it. You may never see another bottle. But still a few floating around.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Usually when I drink bourbon, I drink Makers Mark or Jack. Developed that taste early in life. Lol. Never experimented with upscale bourbons like I have scotch. I've gone to numerous scotch tastings where some of the scotches served were $200 a glass type scotch. These days I stay with reasonably priced single malts in the 15+ year range. I know a lot of folks hate on Glen Livet since it seems it's the only scotch most uneducated scotch drinkers can name because of the movie Swingers. I had my first taste of Glen Livet when I was 14 thanks to a friends unknowing father. doh.

I've also gone through a spell in my life where I really enjoyed blended whisky like Chivas and JW. I'll still drink some blended once every other year or something.
    I drank a bottle of makers every two weeks for about 6 months. Decided to switch to Jameson because I used to like it. I've had it for 3 months and it's half full.

Boo ireland. Go American. I do like mccallen tho. Need to buy some.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    There's just something about the McAllens - aged in a port barrel. Ever had the "cask strength?" AyYi Yi - good stuff and very pricy.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I drank a bottle of makers every two weeks for about 6 months. Decided to switch to Jameson because I used to like it. I've had it for 3 months and it's half full.

Boo ireland. Go American. I do like mccallen tho. Need to buy some.

I'm not a big fan of Jameson, but Jameson Black Barrel is really nice.

Top Bottom