• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Whisky should be drank at room temperature in a glass with nothing. Ice cubes belong in a thread about sweet tea.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Whisky should be drank at room temperature in a glass with nothing. Ice cubes belong in a thread about sweet tea.
    I will respectively disagree and here is why. Whiskey's are about 1/2 alcohol which has a low boil point of 173F. However just your hands at 98.6 will cause it to begin evaporating off. It starts that process long before it hits a boil. In fact with alcohol its very volatile. For that reason alone I keep mine in a cool dark place and and if its for drinking its in the fridge.

The brings us the theory of alcohol free drinks...lol as we know in spite of its near flavorless quality it supports the other flavors that are there and if you have ever tried any of the alky free drinks that saw a brief flash in the pan back in the 70's you will know what I mean.

That said for some liquors a bit of warmth in fact adds to the flavor and the nose. aka brandy snifters and you can even buy a prop that warms the brandy etc in the glass with a candle. I like some of my liquors slightly warmed for that reason.

I have long since left the world of cheap booze not just because I can afford the best but because I have learned to enjoy the drink itself for what it is and slamming it down as fast as possible is no longer in my playbook. Thus I am a sipper and for a good churchill that is about 1 old fashion glass of drink and I want it cool to maintain the flavor thru out the smoke, I also am a dipper, meaning I dip my cigar in my bourbon glass. Holding a drink in your hand for about 30 min really alters the flavor and you will end up drinking it at near 100 degrees...

However, the way you chose to drink your beverage of choice is as good as anyone's, its your drink, your taste buds and the first round is on me if we meet...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This bottle ain't too bad
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413595545.913183.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    This bottle ain't too bad
    View attachment 30722
    That appears to say: "True Barrel Bourbon" So I am guessing its bottle straight from the barrel, which is not easy to do as every barrel is a different proof. Usually those are bottled at up to 114 proof (the highest I have ever seen). I LOVE those high proof bourbons the taste is great, but (see my post above). Get up past the 100 proof and the alky can sure fume off if you hold in your hand very long. I drink for everyday drinking Weller 107 proof...best drank very cool.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That appears to say: "True Barrel Bourbon" So I am guessing its bottle straight from the barrel, which is not easy to do as every barrel is a different proof. Usually those are bottled at up to 114 proof (the highest I have ever seen). I LOVE those high proof bourbons the taste is great, but (see my post above). Get up past the 100 proof and the alky can sure fume off if you hold in your hand very long. I drink for everyday drinking Weller 107 proof...best drank very cool.

I am a scotch man, but one of the best whiskey I ever had was some single barrel bourbon. I usually don't like bourbon because of how sweet it is but, damn, that shit was good. Where the heck is TXARGUY? He's plugged into some good stuff too. Had a couple of fingers of his drink of choice - it didn't suck.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I will respectively disagree and here is why. Whiskey's are about 1/2 alcohol which has a low boil point of 173F. However just your hands at 98.6 will cause it to begin evaporating off. It starts that process long before it hits a boil. In fact with alcohol its very volatile. For that reason alone I keep mine in a cool dark place and and if its for drinking its in the fridge.

The brings us the theory of alcohol free drinks...lol as we know in spite of its near flavorless quality it supports the other flavors that are there and if you have ever tried any of the alky free drinks that saw a brief flash in the pan back in the 70's you will know what I mean.

That said for some liquors a bit of warmth in fact adds to the flavor and the nose. aka brandy snifters and you can even buy a prop that warms the brandy etc in the glass with a candle. I like some of my liquors slightly warmed for that reason.

I have long since left the world of cheap booze not just because I can afford the best but because I have learned to enjoy the drink itself for what it is and slamming it down as fast as possible is no longer in my playbook. Thus I am a sipper and for a good churchill that is about 1 old fashion glass of drink and I want it cool to maintain the flavor thru out the smoke, I also am a dipper, meaning I dip my cigar in my bourbon glass. Holding a drink in your hand for about 30 min really alters the flavor and you will end up drinking it at near 100 degrees...

However, the way you chose to drink your beverage of choice is as good as anyone's, its your drink, your taste buds and the first round is on me if we meet...

I was mostly joking. But it looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the offer.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been clean & sober for 33 years so that means total abstinence from any alcoholic drink. Back in the day, my choice was Black Jack Daniels over ice. I always drank it from a cheap ass aluminum mug with a glass bottom that I've partied with since the 1960's. I still have that mug.

Flash

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I was mostly trying joke. But it looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the offer.
    LOL, I am surprised somebody has not said they only drink mixed with Coke or Mountain Dew. Way back when I threw a lot of parties I had ver nice bar in my home. It was a walk in, ice maker, wet sink, wine racks you name it. I kept 2 bottles of everything liquor on the shelfs. 2 bottles of bourbon, vodka, scotch etc. One bottle was top of the line, the other strictly bottom shelf, usually store brand like: Joe Chit the Ragman's Liquor emporium, aged on the shelf Scotch. BUT what I had done was swapped out contents. So that Johnny Walker Black Scotch on the rocks is really Mr Roberts Scotch which is Everclear or PGA mixed with some iodine and a drop of liquid smoke. Of course when you mix it with Mountain Dew, does it make any difference.

War Story: Jim worked for me, he was in fact my number 2 man. I turned Jim on to hot foods. He was from the NE, never ate anything hotter than a bell pepper. Over several years he became a real lover of the heat and was always waning something hotter. He asked me to go over to the Class VI store (Liquor store to civilians) and pick up a bottle of the Hot Pepper Vodka for him and his wifes Sunday morning Bloody Mary bash. I did and Jim reported back it was not hot and just mild at best. Hummm, OK I thought I need to fix something up.

I called my Doc buddy and asked if he could get me some medical grade ethanol. He said sure and he delivers a liter a few days later. I call up a spice shop in Ft Worth that imports nothing but the best and the hottest of spices and peppers. I order up a 1/2 lb of everything from Ghost peppers to Scotch bonnets and in between. They are dried and I put them in a blender along with the medical grade. Spin them and put them in a empty bourbon bottle I had saved for the occasion. Then I sat the bottle in my kitchen window sill which got sun all day. Every morning when fixing coffee I shook the bottle up. I did this for 6 mos. Then I filtered it thru a couple of coffee filters. BEAUTIFUL Clear Ruby Red color. Put on a label calling it Don's Sunday Morn Wake Up Mix. I give it to Jim and tell him and his wife to enjoy the Bloody Mary's on Sunday.

I get a call about 1130 Sun morn, its a Doctor at the Emergency Room wanting to know WHAT was in the bottle?

Jim is making their first Bloody Mary and decides he needs to take a shot of it to see how hot it is so he can add some peppers to the drink. He pours a shot glass full, and slams it down. He did, it took his breath away and he sagged to the floor thrashing around holding his throat gasping for air and screaming fire extinguisher.

I tell Doc nothing to worry about, give him some milk and he will be alright.

On Monday at work Jim told the story in my staff meeting and I laughed so hard I was crying, even Jim thought it was funny looking back on it...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Been clean & sober for 33 years so that means total abstinence from any alcoholic drink. Back in the day, my choice was Black Jack Daniels over ice. I always drank it from a cheap ass aluminum mug with a glass bottom that I've partied with since the 1960's. I still have that mug.

Flash
    LOL, lets see, we used to say, when you get to where you cannot see out the bottom of the glass mug you have had enough. Thanks for the memory from the 60's.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I used a vibrating tool and engraved that cheap mug with the names & dates of the organizations with whom I partied. The first entry is Southern Illinois University 1964-1966. The mug is pretty ugly but there's been enough booze consumed out of that thing to float a small boat.

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Every night before bed time, I drink a shot of Bushmill's Irish Whisky. It helps with digestion, and gives me a healthy shit in the morning.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    For you whiskey drinkers you might want to try this:

Introducing Ranger Creek Rimfire Mesquite Smoked Texas Whiskey

2012 Small Caliber Series Release
    RC_rimfire_mock.jpg
    BronzeMedalArt-1.jpg

We’re proud to announce the second release in our Small Caliber Series, our line of creative, limited edition whiskeys aged in small barrels and sold in small bottles. Ranger Creek Rimfire is a a scotch-style single malt whiskey, but instead of smoking it with peat we smoked it with Texas mesquite. Using our local ingredient instead of the Scottish ingredient brings out a very different smoke flavor that is well balanced in the whiskey.
    The nose of Rimfire brings about sweet tropical notes of ripe mango and dried banana with a hint of vanilla. The taste is smooth and delicate with a light malty sweetness. And the finish is soft, balanced, and dry with hints of light smoke and roasted chocolate. A few drops of water help to enhance the smoke and highlight the mesquite flavor.
    Bronze Medal, American Craft Distiller’s Association, 2014
    86 points, Jim Murray Whisky Bible, 2014
    B+, The Whiskey Reviewer, 2013
    85 points, Whisky Advocate, 2013
    Bourbon and Oak: “This would be an ideal whiskey choice for those who enjoy scotch but are looking to try something new.” Read more.

What’s in a name? A little Texas history

Rimfire is named after the type of ammunition used in the Winchester 1866 “Yellow Boy” repeating rifle. This famous rifle was used by many frontier Texans and is proudly on display in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.
    Limited Edition

Each bottle of whiskey in our Small Caliber Series is hand labeled with the batch number, bottle number, season, and maturation time. Limited production of these unique, innovative whiskeys makes them special collector’s item products.
    Uniquely Texan and Grain to Glass

Ranger Creek Rimfire, along with all of our products, is handcrafted in San Antonio from grain to glass in a labor intensive, manual process that takes love, time, and dedication. Some competitors take short cuts and buy their spirits from someone else. We do it like true Texans should.

Or

Finest Bourbon I have ever drank:

Our Flagship Whiskey: Ranger Creek .36 Texas Bourbon

2011 Small Caliber Series Release
    RC36bottle_noBG_small.jpg

GoldMedalArt.jpg
    FiftyBestDoubleGold.jpg
    StickerBronze2012sm.jpg

It turns out bourbon doesn’t have to be made in Kentucky. So we’re making it in Texas in a truly Texan way by using weather, attitude, and premium ingredients from the Lone Star State. Our goal is not to replicate Kentucky bourbon in Texas but to make Texas Bourbon.
    We’re maturing the same bourbon in both traditional big barrels and non traditional small barrels. The big barrels will take years to fully mature, but the small barrels will mature in a matter of months. Ranger Creek .36 is the small barrel version of our Texas Bourbon. The end result will be an interesting barrel experiment – one of the only kind we know of. We encourage you to buy a bottle of Ranger Creek .36 to drink and another to save and try side-by-side with the big barrel version when its released.
    Ranger Creek .36 is a traditional sour mash bourbon that is handcrafted every step of the way. It’s bold, just like the .36 caliber pistol the Texas Rangers carried that inspired its name. The Texas climate brings out a rich sweetness with hints of vanilla, brown sugar, and maple syrup. And the rye we use provides an undertone of cinnamon spiciness. The result is an award winning, interesting, and unique bourbon that we believe does justice to Texas.
    Appearance: Deep Amber
    Nose: Vanilla and brown sugar with hints of new wood
    Taste: Caramel, toffee, and cinnamon
    Finish: Warm and sweet with notes of back cherry

Silver Medal, Whiskies of the World, 2014 Read more.
    Gold Medal, American Craft Distiller’s Association, 2014
    93 points, Jim Murray Whisky Bible, 2014
    Double Gold Medal, The Fifty Best, 2014 Read more.
    Beverage Testing Institute, 90 points (Exceptional) Read more.
    Bronze Medal, American Distilling Institute 2012
    Whisky Advocate: 86, “One of the better young bourbons I’ve had.” Read more.
    WhiskyCast: 85, “The taste is spicy and crisp with good oak, black pepper, and vanilla notes.” Read more.
    Sour Mash Manifesto: 8.3 (Very Good/Excellent), “If this bourbon is any indication they are doing something right in San Antonio.” Read more.
    Angel’s Share Magazine: “Ranger Creek can certainly take pride in putting their production of Ranger Creek .36 Bourbon Whiskey on the list of must try bourbons from Texas!” Read more.
    Bourbon and Oak: “This whiskey reminded me of having dessert at a fancy restaurant.” Read more.

Twin liquors has the all three. 36, rim, 44(?)

Half a fifth, $38. They keep it behind the counter.

Wow, Ill get a bottle for Christmas or something.

This will have to do for now,

View attachment 30883

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Twin liquors has the all three. 36, rim, 44(?)

Half a fifth, $38. They keep it behind the counter.

Wow, Ill get a bottle for Christmas or something.

This will have to do for now,

View attachment 30883
    Its something you drink on a truly day, my everyday (I don't drink everyday) is Weller 107 Barrle Proof, high quality, decent price. Also a fan of Makers Mark in the higher proof.

Its the high proof stuff (90++) in whiskey that brings taste to the table.

Top Bottom