• Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I have a North American Rescue CAT on my belt all the time. There's another CAT on the kitchen fridge door, there's another in a basic 1st aid kit hanging on the passenger headrest in the pickup. Been that way for about 3 years - since I took the trauma 1st aid class.
    BUT, my master plan is to be able to offer a 2nd CAT to the on-site EMT that needs a 2nd CAT, not (hopefully) put my training & CAT to use.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I carry a backpack to and from work which has a full trauma kit and a SWAT-T tourniquet in addition to all my other crap I need for work. I also have a bag in the trunk of my car with additional first aid.

I was an EMT in college but even without training I think 90% of you could figure out the general idea. I don't understand the pushback and disgust that some people have toward helping in a medical emergency. The disdain some of you have expressed for those who plan ahead and carry supplies confuses me.

Sent from one of those newfangled pocket computers using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I am on a small facebook gun group and the topic of Tourniquet came up. Someone was shocked that I have never owned one - to which I replied I've barely even considered one, let along own or carry one. I said I'd guess over half the people, maybe up to 75% of people who carry, don't even own one.

I threw a poll up in this small group. Some LE, some military, mostly all of us are your gung-ho gun guys. It's been less than 24 hours and 46 have said they have them, and only 7 said they have never owned one.

Did a quick search here and it's only been mentioned once - someone was selling a tourniquet holster.
    Searched on CalGuns, where I was active for a number of years and never recall it being mentioned. Low and behold there were a million threads.

I barely even carry a spare mug half the time. I joked and said what's next? Going to a steakhouse with the family, have a backpack with IV, syringe, AED. Maybe daily drive an ambulance?

Anyhow - curious to see where you all stand.

As a semi-retired Med School Prof and an ex-Emergency Physician, I see little practical use for tourniquets.

Life threatening bleeding should be controlled by firm pressure on the injury, just between the source of the bleeding and the heart, but much closer to the bleeding.

Only massive bright red bleeding from an extremity injury would be indication for a tourniquet. That is a pretty rare situation.

leVieux

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    In my truck I carry a really good first aid kit with a large and small tourniquet in it. Also carry bug spray, sun block, bottled water, 3 flashlights, spare batteries, spare knives, fire starting kit, boonie hat, extra sun glasses, FR jersey, impact gloves, spare work boots, 18V impact wrench, 18V drill, 18V grinder, 18V charger, Battery booster, 12V air compressor, fix a flat, and a 30 cal ammo can with spare ammo for every weapon I own and usually extra mags too.

TL;DR - I usually have anything I could possible need.

You missed what I have carried in my truck/car for 59 years having grown up in Texas....Toilet Paper!!!

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Keep one with me for work in a IFAK. More for the boss just in case. I also keep a IFAK in my car and cycle and both have a SWA-T tourniquet. Not the best but I like the compactness of it. As a civilian would I go around carrying one as my EDC? Probably not.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    As a semi-retired Med School Prof and an ex-Emergency Physician, I see little practical use for tourniquets.

Life threatening bleeding should be controlled by firm pressure on the injury, just between the source of the bleeding and the heart, but much closer to the bleeding.

Only massive bright red bleeding from an extremity injury would be indication for a tourniquet. That is a pretty rare situation.

leVieux

My only question is, What if you are alone and it happens to you, or what if you are the only responder in a non-cel service area?

Going to be hard to hold pressure while either transporting them or going for help.

Our gun range has little cel service, most of the places I've hunted in the last decade have no cel service, and much of the areas I ride off road- or on unpaved roads- have no service and are only very sparsely traveled or populated.

I do have pressure dressings/bandages in my kits, too, but I just figure that a tourniquet is a 2nd level of preparation.

I took a refresher emergency med course, and updated my aid kits to include a tourniquet at the recommendation of a school friend who is the head of emergency medicine for a level IV trauma center. His words, 'not likely to ever need it, but if you do..."

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas

leVieux

There have been many changes throughout the years. There have been many saves on the battlefield and just as TTPs often come from what soldiers have done overseas, so does our trauma care. Stateside, there have been many saves from the application of tourniquets. At our company this years award winner for our Beyond Zero safety campaign came from our employee coming upon a terrible one vehicle accident and the application of a tourniquet credited to saving her life. Most SWAT teams now keep a full time medic (in some cases an actual ER Doc) on runs and they wouldn't be caught without one as every other team member.

When I was at Shot Show last year or year before, They had this syringe type device filled with some type of bandage material (looked like marshmallows) to inject into a bleeding wound. I asked about it to obtain one and they said no can do they were being tested with troops in the sandbox at the time.

Fosty 2.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    Austin
    I don't own any, but I intend on getting at least one when I've got some money to spare.

I saw a video of a guy who has one rubber banded to the stock of his rifles.
    The logic is that if you're shooting someone, they're probably shooting back, and you may need it.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The disdain some of you have expressed for those who plan ahead and carry supplies confuses me.

That certainly wasn't my intention. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to be prepared in both equipment and preparation. I mean I carry a gun nearly every day so I get it.

All I said was that it comes across as something all of the tacticool kids are doing these days. I don't think everyone that carries or has one is that way. The only ones on this forum that seem to carry them have the training and experience to use one. I don't get that same impression from some of the Facebook groups I'm in.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I don't own any, but I intend on getting at least one when I've got some money to spare.

I saw a video of a guy who has one rubber banded to the stock of his rifles.
    The logic is that if you're shooting someone, they're probably shooting back, and you may need it.

You don’t need to spend a lot...this is a good start

https://smile.amazon.com/Recon-Medical-Tourniquet-Compressed-Emergency/dp/B077TYVS6T/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IZNQPPWU5436&keywords=tourniquets&qid=1564804701&s=gateway&sprefix=Tou,aps,172&sr=8-5

Add this for better:

https://smile.amazon.com/QuikClot-A...DE00F1CBM0A&psc=1&refRID=QDW42J6ZXDE00F1CBM0A

Another great addition:

https://smile.amazon.com/North-Amer...CN819KZ3A1Z&psc=1&refRID=QS8RADK9SCN819KZ3A1Z

My truck kit and kids car kits:

Attachments

• E45C0B3F-6218-434D-A8A0-30A57BA2F7C9.jpeg
      E45C0B3F-6218-434D-A8A0-30A57BA2F7C9.jpeg
      622.8 KB · Views: 242
    • 85039BE8-D041-4984-92B4-64BF73E65DD2.jpeg
      85039BE8-D041-4984-92B4-64BF73E65DD2.jpeg
      709.8 KB · Views: 223
    • 88FAD731-FEDB-4025-8621-7E8BC7AB098D.jpeg
      88FAD731-FEDB-4025-8621-7E8BC7AB098D.jpeg
      688.6 KB · Views: 254
    • 3A4E5A27-0E33-41C2-90CF-B9E730B435CD.jpeg
      3A4E5A27-0E33-41C2-90CF-B9E730B435CD.jpeg
      439 KB · Views: 251
    • 59C2A43A-1CC2-4359-B366-373C5476C854.jpeg
      59C2A43A-1CC2-4359-B366-373C5476C854.jpeg
      539 KB · Views: 245

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Got to thinking about this later. My IFAK from the Corps has a tourniquet. My MOS had water survival training every four years where it was discussed, but I still wouldn’t say I’m proficient at employing one.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Always have one on me when out and about, a SOF-T wide. Have an actual IFAK in my truck, and one on my work backpack. Also have a third kit that gets moved around as needed. I also have a fourth thats is getting built up. I dont know why i have a 4th one.

Not law enforcement or military, but did an ALERRT/Stop the bleed course.

Being able to plug a hole is imho quite a bit more important than being able to make one.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    There have been many changes throughout the years. There have been many saves on the battlefield and just as TTPs often come from what soldiers have done overseas, so does our trauma care. Stateside, there have been many saves from the application of tourniquets. At our company this years award winner for our Beyond Zero safety campaign came from our employee coming upon a terrible one vehicle accident and the application of a tourniquet credited to saving her life. Most SWAT teams now keep a full time medic (in some cases an actual ER Doc) on runs and they wouldn't be caught without one as every other team member.

When I was at Shot Show last year or year before, They had this syringe type device filled with some type of bandage material (looked like marshmallows) to inject into a bleeding wound. I asked about it to obtain one and they said no can do they were being tested with troops in the sandbox at the time.

Celox (sp?) makes them, or something like that, and its avalible on the open market

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom