BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Good links.

Link that bag too Buzz.

These are my favorite bags. I buy them empty and add the stuff I want. All my vehicles have a small bag except my truck has the large bag.
    I also have a small bag in my range bag and my kitchen.

All kits/bags have a tourniquet, quick clot, shears, chest seal, & quality trauma bandages at a minimum.

https://lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

https://smile.amazon.com/Tactical-MOLLE-Medical-First-Utility/dp/B074QHXZV8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=D12A3GN408FU&keywords=first+aid+pouch+empty&qid=1564832862&s=gateway&sprefix=first+aid+po,aps,158&sr=8-6

Last edited:

dlb737

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Addison
    If I have my pistol, I have my tourniquet. Actually several in strategic locations. But never had to use except to refresh myself on how to use them every once in a while.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Sublime,

Like Zack said, Quick Clot or Celox sponges are available now and proven effective.
    Yeah I knew about the sponges and my kit contains quickclot but this was something different. They were running a video in their booth about the application. I would like to know of it made it to market.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    The #1 used item in my aid bag and in the door pockets of my pickup are the 100 pack of band aids.

I am regularly surprised - you'd think I'd get over it, but I don't - at how often someone cuts or rips a finger, hand, or foot, and NO ONE in the vicinity has more than some Chick Filet or other fast food napkins, or a towel/rag/tshirt to use.

When I first got into the oilfield, seems like 50 years ago, lol, but was really only about 20, a guy on our rig smashed his right hand on a set of power tongs (about 600-700 lbs, suspended on a cable).

Pulled his glove off, and he had a rip running from the middle of his pinky finger, almost to the wrist- in the 10 seconds it took to look at it, probably 3-6 oz of blood had pooled into and soaked his glove.

Everyone was bug eyed or pissed off. We sat him down, and I wrapped/blotted his hand in a tshirt, handed his hand to the driller, said keep it closed and keep pressure on it, and ran to the rig floor first aid box, about the size of a 200 amp service box, opened it up, thinking there would be compression bandages, tape, etc... it had a bottle of Night Train liquor, and a baggie of either cocaine or meth...no bandages. Nothing else, actually.

I ran to the tool pushers shack, and his first aid kit had disinfectant, eye wash, and some tape, scissors, and 1 compression bandage. Got the blood flow basically stopped and wrapped up, then drove him to the ER.

Since then I've always kept at least a basic 1st aid/trauma kit in my vehicle, and I've taken every field/work first aid/response course I can. Like my concealed carry piece, I pray I never have to use it, but it's there in case I do.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Carrying medical is the latest craze in the younger tacticool crowd from what I've gathered in my Facebook group lurking.

Like Brains, I'm not medically trained. I don't own one. I should get training such as Stop the Bleed but I don't have any right now.

Tacticool? It's tacticool to be prepared? Guys come the hell on. I have had medkits and first aid kits in every vehicle I've owned since I was 25. I have a fire extinguisher too. It's called being prepared to go into action no matter what the situation dictates. You're far more likely to need a first aid kit than a gun.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I think you that carry medical gear are to be saluted.

Thank you for being so caring of your fellow humans.

That's sincere - No sarcasm.

I think if I don't carry medical gear, that's my choice too.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I don't carry a portable defibrillator, insulin or plasma in a small fridge with me either.

Or five gallons of water to hand out or enough food to feed a small village with me either.

Or, a folding gurney - yep, it'd work in the back of my truck too, but I'll resist the temptation. And absolutely no siren!

Or, spare guns and ammo for those in need.

See where I'm going with this?

Some of you want to guilt trip those who choose not to be amateur EMT's or Paramedics (or new style Mother Teresa's) driving personal ambulances, yeah, I exaggerate, but not by much......

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I think some may be in it for the fame or recognition. Hero types. But you know what, good for them. If they can and choose to help, that's only a positive thing. Until they try to look down their nose at those who don't adopt their lifestyle.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I don't carry a portable defibrillator, insulin or plasma in a small fridge with me either.

Or five gallons of water to hand out or enough food to feed a small village with me either.

Or, a folding gurney - yep, it'd work in the back of my truck too, but I'll resist the temptation. And absolutely no siren!

Or, spare guns and ammo for those in need.

See where I'm going with this?

Some of you want to guilt trip those who choose not to be amateur EMT's or Paramedics (or new style Mother Teresa's) driving personal ambulances, yeah, I exaggerate, but not by much......

No, you're exagerating a lot.

A paramedic is a lot different than a guy with a TQ, just as a guy with an LTC is a lot different than a cop.

Obviously if you carry a gun you feel the need to be prepared for one thing, so its not a great big leap to put a $30 strap in your pocket to be prepared for something else

No one is telling you have to, no one is saying it should be a legal requirement, but its a damn good idea, and it can save your life in more than a gunfight.

And if you ND into your leg, its much cooler to whip out a TQ than to Tex Grebner it and call your mom

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah I knew about the sponges and my kit contains quickclot but this was something different. They were running a video in their booth about the application. I would like to know of it made it to market.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    1564850154668344758656.jpg

Got them off amazon, ill see if i can get the link soon

Attachments

• 1564850154668344758656.jpg
      1564850154668344758656.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 342

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hey, Tex Grebner's training kicked in after he shot himself and that's when he called his mom.

At least that's what he said......

...and to that I'll add a bit of Brain's post "Until they try to look down their nose at those who don't adopt their lifestyle." yep, and preach or virtue signal.....

Or, I forgot, I don't carry a cheap wheelchair either.

Last edited:

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    I carry two tourniquets on me all of the time. A RATS and a SAM XT. I know people don’t like the RATS because it’s not TCCC but people don’t normally carry tourniquets because they are big and bulky and the RATS are not.

Took a couple of classes years ago that started me carrying them. Plus, with these mass shootings taking place, how many people could have been saved by being able to stop bleeding?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Hey, Tex Grebner's training kicked in after his shot himself and that's when he called his mom.

At least that's what he said......

...and to that I'll add a bit of Brain's post "Until they try to look down their nose at those who don't adopt their lifestyle." yep, and preach or virtue signal.....

Or, I forgot, I don't carry a cheap wheelchair either.

In the words of Josey Wales, dying ain't much of a livin, so if taking a 2 hour class and buying a few things off amazon is a lifestyle, so be it.

"We" only look down on people who say things like "its what the tacticool kids do" or "they just want to be heros" thats just silly

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Funny thing is, I carry a small emergency kit on my bike, but not in the car. I should probably remedy that.

I've only used the kit once and that was about 5 years ago. Came upon another biker on a BMW that took the curves too fast in the Davis Mountains. His buddy took his girlfriend to the hospital on his bike and left his wife to look after the guy who crashed. The guy was bleeding a bit and we got that stopped, I bandaged him up and gave him some aspirin for his headache, left them some water. The wife of the other guy said they had friends on the way, so checked him out pretty good and bid them farewell. They were very grateful I stopped.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My only question is, What if you are alone and it happens to you, or what if you are the only responder in a non-cel service area?

Going to be hard to hold pressure while either transporting them or going for help.

Our gun range has little cel service, most of the places I've hunted in the last decade have no cel service, and much of the areas I ride off road- or on unpaved roads- have no service and are only very sparsely traveled or populated.

I do have pressure dressings/bandages in my kits, too, but I just figure that a tourniquet is a 2nd level of preparation.

I took a refresher emergency med course, and updated my aid kits to include a tourniquet at the recommendation of a school friend who is the head of emergency medicine for a level IV trauma center. His words, 'not likely to ever need it, but if you do..."

That may be true, BUT, how often does a situation actually call for a tourniquet? During my 14 years of active Emergency Medicine service, including military, I didn't see a single one !

leVieux

leVieux

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom