• Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Most anything that can be wrapped around the limb can be used as a tourniquet. If your kit doesn't have one, improvise.

This is the kind of old school mentality that makes me laugh. Do you pound nails with a wrench? That works, but not very well.

Improvising a tourniquet is certainly possible, but it is much better to actually have a purpose built piece of gear, be it a CAT or a RATS.

Chances are you’ll never need it. But if you ever did, a belt and a stick are a poor substitute.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is the kind of old school mentality that makes me laugh. Do you pound nails with a wrench? That works, but not very well.

Improvising a tourniquet is certainly possible, but it is much better to actually have a purpose built piece of gear, be it a CAT or a RATS.

Chances are you’ll never need it. But if you ever did, a belt and a stick are a poor substitute.
    I'll tell you this much, a roll of duct tape will do better in many situations that a tourniquet won't do.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    I am on a small facebook gun group and the topic of Tourniquet came up. Someone was shocked that I have never owned one - to which I replied I've barely even considered one, let along own or carry one. I said I'd guess over half the people, maybe up to 75% of people who carry, don't even own one.

I threw a poll up in this small group. Some LE, some military, mostly all of us are your gung-ho gun guys. It's been less than 24 hours and 46 have said they have them, and only 7 said they have never owned one.

Did a quick search here and it's only been mentioned once - someone was selling a tourniquet holster.
    Searched on CalGuns, where I was active for a number of years and never recall it being mentioned. Low and behold there were a million threads.

I barely even carry a spare mug half the time. I joked and said what's next? Going to a steakhouse with the family, have a backpack with IV, syringe, AED. Maybe daily drive an ambulance?

Anyhow - curious to see where you all stand.
    Yes, have one in the
    I am on a small facebook gun group and the topic of Tourniquet came up. Someone was shocked that I have never owned one - to which I replied I've barely even considered one, let along own or carry one. I said I'd guess over half the people, maybe up to 75% of people who carry, don't even own one.

I threw a poll up in this small group. Some LE, some military, mostly all of us are your gung-ho gun guys. It's been less than 24 hours and 46 have said they have them, and only 7 said they have never owned one.

Did a quick search here and it's only been mentioned once - someone was selling a tourniquet holster.
    Searched on CalGuns, where I was active for a number of years and never recall it being mentioned. Low and behold there were a million threads.

I barely even carry a spare mug half the time. I joked and said what's next? Going to a steakhouse with the family, have a backpack with IV, syringe, AED. Maybe daily drive an ambulance?

Anyhow - curious to see where you all stand.

Yup. Keep a pretty full first aid kit plus a shooting trauma kit in the car.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth

True, a belt is a poor choice, but a t-shirt and a stick will work better than that stick and strap you think is more valid because you paid $20 bucks for it.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Here's another purpose-built piece of gear; an electric marshmallow toaster.
    marshmallowtoaster.jpg

Better get yerself one.

Attachments

• marshmallowtoaster.jpg
      marshmallowtoaster.jpg
      3.4 KB · Views: 321

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I'll tell you this much, a roll of duct tape will do better in many situations that a tourniquet won't do.
    I agree. I keep duct tape in my trauma kit as well. Works excellent to hold bandages, emergency splints, etc.

The thing about a tourniquet is it’s NOT a versatile piece of gear, it is specialized. And if, God forbid you really need one, it’s absolutely priceless.

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Most anything that can be wrapped around the limb can be used as a tourniquet. If your kit doesn't have one, improvise.

Why would you improvise lifesaving equipment that you can get for $20 bucks? Just spend the money and one.

People will spend $30 to $50 on hollow points for their Hi-Point but won’t spend $27 on a tourniquet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    This thread is the result of some medical equipment company taking notice of a few million straps that were just sitting in a warehouse. Only real men carry a tourniquet, $9.95+S&H.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Why would you improvise lifesaving equipment that you can get for $20 bucks? Just spend the money and one.

People will spend $30 to $50 on hollow points for their Hi-Point but won’t spend $27 on a tourniquet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why not carry a defibrillator or all the other necessary medical supplies for any given situation? I'm not an EMT, and I'm not going to outfit myself as such. I will do what I can to help you make it to those that can do better for you, but I'm not going to pretend I know what situations I will come across. I have yet to need a tourniquet for me or anyone else in my 62 years, I'm not going to pretend I will need it tomorrow.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Yup. A roll of duct tape may be the ultimate TQ. Hell, you could probably build 20 TQs out of that half-roll in my truck bed before anyone with a CAT can figger out all that velcro and what-not.
    What are you basing that on? Seeing that there are now 20 dead and 26 injured I would say it was highly likely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    It's unlikely any of the dead suffered a GSW in a part of their body where a tourniquet is an option, or they wouldn't be dead. The dead were shot in the head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis, shoulder girdle, or extreme proximal limb. none of which you can TQ. See post 28.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    It's unlikely any of the dead suffered a GSW in a part of their body where a tourniquet is an option, or they wouldn't be dead. The dead were shot in the head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis, shoulder girdle, or extreme proximal limb. none of which you can TQ. See post 28.

Again, you know this how?? I mean they are still working the crime scene so how can you say none of the 46 victims could have been helped with the application of a tourniquet and that none of the 20 that died from loss of blood?

I'm not gonna even touch the duct tape comment. Weird that troops aren't using 100mph tape instead of tourniquets.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Again, you know this how?? I mean they are still working the crime scene so how can you say none of the 46 victims could have been helped with the application of a tourniquet and that none of the 20 that died from loss of blood?

I'm not gonna even touch the duct tape comment. Weird that troops aren't using 100mph tape instead of tourniquets.
    I don't know how else to say it. If you're shot in a place where it's possible to use a TQ, you probably don't need it. Not an absolute, but most SOP's will only allow TQ on the humorous or femur, the long bones of the upper arm and upper leg, for otherwise uncontrolled bleeds from wounds distal to the TQ. Lower leg, foot, lower arm, hand are wound locations where a TQ would be appropriate, but it's likely that a GSW bleed would be otherwise controllable in those same places. They just don't bleed like in the movies. Big bleeds usually happen where TQ are impossible. GSW's in those areas don't cause uncontrollable bleeds. GSW's to anywhere on the femur or humorous (other than extreme proximal areas) MAY need a TQ but only if femoral or brachial arteries are involved. Industrial wounds - amputations, deep lacerations, are more likely to cause uncontrolled bleeds than GSW's. Most TQs are put on by untrained (but good-intentioned) geographically adjacent humanoids unnecessarily.

I've seen amputations that didn't actively require a TQ.

And any medic worth his salt wouldn't hesitate to use duct tape.

Top Bottom