• ...and so much more!
  • Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    My wife keeps a judge in her nightstand.
    first two rounds are bird shot (deterrent), the rest are 45 HP (force).
    I think she's made a good choice.

Ohh, and ACCURACY is FINAL!!!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Did you even watch the video? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Skipped towards the end, hole in a piece of paper.

EDIT: Went back and looked again to see that it pretty much proved the point. Bird shot lacks adequate penetration for self defense ammunition. Nasty, but not nearly deep enough to reliably stop a threat.....or a hog.

Last edited:

WCDUB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    It begins spreading immediately as soon as it stops being a solid mass, which start happening as soon as it leaves the barrel, and happen extremely quickly when it encounters any resistance, you begin to work with the energy stored in each individual pellet.

Physics.

My HD load is 00 buck,but I shoot bird at the range,and at HD distances-3/5/7 yards-bird makes a fist sized hole. Don't get me
    wrong,I would never use bird for HD,nor would I advocate doing so.I'm just stating
    an observed fact about the spread of bird-
    shot(observed by me).

Last edited:

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    From watching bird shot go through 2 or 3 drywall it looks like bird shot doesn't do anything to help the liability issue. So I don't see any point in debating that. The opinion im forming is to have a shotgun somewhere in the house (loaded with buck shot or slug or box o truth) where she would necessarily be pointing it away from neighbors to shoot an intruder. Someplace where she could hide and wait while taking aim. Otherwise have a pistol elsewhere in the home she can use if she can't get to the shotgun quickly enough. With the diameter of a .357 and the area of an innocent bystander divided by the quadrant the bullet will travel, the chance of shooting somebody with a pistol without aiming at them is extremely small. On the contrary, the chances of shooting an innocent bystander with a shotgun increase as the pellets travel, unless using a slug.
    So the problem of HD and liability is multifaceted. The choice of round depends on the layout of the home. If there is no place to hide while pointing the gun away from neighbors then a slug. If there is then buck or box of truth or whatever.

Somebody mentioned using birdshot as a warning and following it up with buck shot. I think that's a bad idea because you will be experiencing vertigo after shooting any round from a shotgun inside of a home. After that it's a race to regain your senses before the intruder does before you can give a well aimed follow up shot.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Shot will generally spread app. 1 inch per yard in an un-choked barrel. At 30 feet, about 10 inches. Buckshot will penetrate better. I prefer #4 buckshot. But I live in the country. 3 inch duck loads in BB, BBB or T shot will penetrate the vitals of a large goose at 50-60 yards. If I were to use any kind of bird shot, nothing smaller than BB. Preferably in a 3 inch. Appr. 100 BBs per load for appartments. Not going to be fun at 20 feet, but individual pellets that miss will slow down faster than buck shot.
    Try shotgunworld.com.
    Lots of good stuff there.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Skipped towards the end, hole in a piece of paper.

EDIT: Went back and looked again to see that it pretty much proved the point. Bird shot lacks adequate penetration for self defense ammunition. Nasty, but not nearly deep enough to reliably stop a threat.....or a hog.

Ya, a crater the size of a soup bowl in your chest ain't gonna slow you down one bit.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ya, a crater the size of a soup bowl in your chest ain't gonna slow you down one bit.
    Shooting a bag of processed meat is a lot different than shooting something still alive and filled with bodily fluids. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I have probably shot more medium to large animals than 99% of the population. I can assure you that bird shot, while it may eventually cause death in larger animals, is not a stopper. There are many accounts of police officers, hunters, and paramedics involving close range birdshot victims and what they say is pretty uniform. Big, ugly, horrible LOOKING wounds, but not life threatening unless left untreated.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've seen that Gunblast video. I think for "inside the house" ranges, birdshot would be okay for MOST (not all) intruders. But given we don't have kids here, I don't have to worry about penetrating walls. So I load up with buckshot.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He shot him at 30-40yds with birdshot. If you want to stand at opposite ends of the largest room in your apartment, and let me shoot you in the face with 12ga birdshot, it will kill you.

Bird shot is extremely ineffective as a defensive ammo. Especially against a person heavily clothed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vast info? Show me where someone survived point blank shot from a 12ga with only superficial injuries. I've done my research and most everything of the sort is anecdotal at best. A man gets shot with a .410 and shrugs it off, and all of the sudden everyone is citing that story as their source to debunk 12ga birdshot stopping power.

Tell me, what is your personal experience with 12ga birdshot?

What is YOUR experience?

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    bIRD SHOT 3.jpg birdshot 1.jpg bIRDSHOT 4.jpg

You guys forced me to do it!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom