Patriot Mobile

Anyone actually have experience with HiPoint?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

OWNING a 'high point', imo, is fractionally better than throwing a rock at an intruder, as it PROBABLY will shoot at least once.

yors, satx

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Pistol ammo typically doesn’t have the case capacity and isn’t loaded with power designed to push the bullet all the way down a 16” barrel. After a certain point velocity is going to drop off. If it was you would get a horrendous muzzle flash from your handguns and velocity would suffer.

Loading your own and choosing the right powder might allow for a slight gain, but not much. I messed around with it before but it was several years ago and aside from being pretty close to pistol velocity, I don’t recall what gains I achieved, if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you said this. It's something I've been thinking about.
    So, for typical factory pistol ammo loads, what would you consider an optimal pistol barrel length to be?
    For a pistol that shoots factory ammo rifle loads, and therefore doesn't have adequate barrel length, what amount of velocity degradation do you suppose there would be? (For example, a 1200fps 22lr expects rifle barrel length to reach that muzzle velocity, but a pistol with a 4" barrel surely wouldn't reach 1200fps right? Maybe only 600fps?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm glad you said this. It's something I've been thinking about.
    So, for typical factory pistol ammo loads, what would you consider an optimal pistol barrel length to be?
    For a pistol that shoots factory ammo rifle loads, and therefore doesn't have adequate barrel length, what amount of velocity degradation do you suppose there would be? (For example, a 1200fps 22lr expects rifle barrel length to reach that muzzle velocity, but a pistol with a 4" barrel surely wouldn't reach 1200fps right? Maybe only 600fps?

TipBledsoe,

I think that that depends on WHICH handgun cartridge that you mean. - For example, I know of nobody who would deny that a .357 MAG out of a Marlin carbine is NOT far superior as a "game-getter" than ANY standard revolver is.

yours, satx

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    TipBledsoe,

I think that that depends on WHICH handgun cartridge that you mean. - For example, I know of nobody who would deny that a .357 MAG out of a Marlin carbine is NOT far superior as a "game-getter" than ANY standard revolver is.

yours, satx
    Okay, let's use 357 magnum as an example, being considered primarily a handgun caliber; optimized for a shorter barrel lengrh, 1300fps is a typical average velocity. But its not unusual to see a lever-action rifle also chambered to shoot 357 magnum... So 357 magnum, using a fast-burning pistol powder, expects to see a 4" barrel, not a 24" barrel... Would the 357 magnum bullet fired from a rifle be slowing down below 1300fps as it encountered the resistance of the last half of the rifle barrel?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    TipBledsoe,

yours, satx
    Okay, let's use 357 magnum as an example, being considered primarily a handgun caliber; optimized for a shorter barrel lengrh, 1300fps is a typical average velocity. But its not unusual to see a lever-action rifle also chambered to shoot 357 magnum... So 357 magnum, using a fast-burning pistol powder, expects to see a 4" barrel, not a 24" barrel... Would the 357 magnum bullet fired from a rifle be slowing down below 1300fps as it encountered the resistance of the last half of the rifle barrel?

Lots of variables going on here when comparing the same cartridge from a pistol to a rifle. Powder selection can be very different. Look at the load data books for a pistol cartridge and many times if it is used also in a rifle, the load data will be different. Barrel length is also a big factor and has to be considered when choosing powders.

As a general rule, if you optimize the load for a rifle, (reloading.) you can get much better performance from a pistol cartridge when shot in a rifle or carbine. Usually more velocity and muzzle energy.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Want to hear from people who have actually shot one or have one. I know it’s crazy talk To want one but I’ve watched the Demolition Ranch video and a couple others that torture tested the HiPoint and it just took it and kept firing. Makes me want one for a truck gun, where I wouldn’t give two shits about what happens to it. My collection has turned in to mostly high end HK and other collectible guns and with current status of the country if something was to happen I wouldn’t want to turn it over to the police. I know they are heavy, ugly, not ergonomic but I want to know if it actually goes bang every time and accurate up to 20yards. Not going for competition here just defense. I always hear,” I wouldn’t trust my life with one” but the same people have never actually shot one and are only regurgitating what they have heard from friends of friends.

so let me get this straight, you want to go to a gun with questionable reliability, because you don’t want to give up something more expensive you used in self defense to save your life.
    Yeah totally sounds reasonable to buy a $150 hand gun and trust your life to it.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    so let me get this straight, you want to go to a gun with questionable reliability, because you don’t want to give up something more expensive you used in self defense to save your life.
    Yeah totally sounds reasonable to buy a $150 hand gun and trust your life to it.

Some people just have little to no self worth.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Want to hear from people who have actually shot one or have one. I know it’s crazy talk To want one but I’ve watched the Demolition Ranch video and a couple others that torture tested the HiPoint and it just took it and kept firing. Makes me want one for a truck gun, where I wouldn’t give two shits about what happens to it. My collection has turned in to mostly high end HK and other collectible guns and with current status of the country if something was to happen I wouldn’t want to turn it over to the police. I know they are heavy, ugly, not ergonomic but I want to know if it actually goes bang every time and accurate up to 20yards. Not going for competition here just defense. I always hear,” I wouldn’t trust my life with one” but the same people have never actually shot one and are only regurgitating what they have heard from friends of friends.
    On live pd one night a cop arrested a guy and searched his car and found a bag that was heavy. He said good god what do you got in here a boat anchor? He opened the bag and laughed and said not far off and pulled out a high point hand gun.

In the 80s I had a gun with the brand name Maverick. It was a clunky POS that was a better projectile than it was expelling projectiles. I had to pay some guy 50 bucks just to get him to take it from me. The only good thing about it was the training in malfunction drills I got while attempting to shoot it.

That company and design became....wait for it....high point.

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    No one has yet top prove they are less reliable than a $500 firearm yet. Except for if you spike it down on a rock which seems like a reasonable thing to do.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    No one has yet top prove they are less reliable than a $500 firearm yet. Except for if you spike it down on a rock which seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Yes, a 150 buck pot metal gun is up there with Glock, S&W, beretta, etc.

You got it.

Just don't drop it. Slide might break in half

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Why come here, ask advice for a gun you seem to have little to no experience with, then argure with people who tell you things you seem to not like?

Top Bottom