Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Many thanks to the folks providing local knowledge. I now know that I could go if I wanted to, for far less money than the official web site would have charged.

The mind is cogitating.

Reactions: MTA

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    And then what? :laughing: Bet the cops will get real tired of taking their calls if more than just a handful of people OC'ing get on the bus that day.

DART has their own police force. My guess is they love taking these calls, if for no other reason than they know it's an easy call, not some loudmouth teenage gang banger who wants to talk shit and fight back. Or some drunk, or druggie, or the usual calls they get.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    There is truth in what F350-6 speaks. DART police are there mainly to keep platform/station violence in check and verify that riders have valid fare tickets (which they virtually never do, as far as I can tell - however, fines are very large IF you get caught w/o a valid fare ticket).

As in most large American cities, and as The Bible says, “the poor ye always have with you” and usually with their attendant mental health and/or alcohol problems - especially at the downtown stations - beggars, pickpockets, et al (where the different colour lines merge). Be alert/careful @ those locations. DART rail cars have a unique (fortunately, fairly mild) odor from less than optimum personal hygiene of their riders. Okie dokie...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I live near two DART stations east of fair park.

No way in hell I’d ever leave my car there.

They have cops posted there all the time, even these guys won’t recommend leaving a car there.

I’d rather take an $8 Uber ride to downtown if I need to go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MTA

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Does the convention center have a helipad? I think I'll take my personal helicopter.

Yep, they do - south side of the convention center, off Lamar Street. Just make sure ya get there before the president does. The FAA closes all air space over wherever the President is.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I live near two DART stations east of fair park.

No way in hell I’d ever leave my car there.

They have cops posted there all the time, even these guys won’t recommend leaving a car there.

I’d rather take an $8 Uber ride to downtown if I need to go anywhere.

Definitely something to consider. In my case, Most of the stations in plano or richardson are in yuppyville so should be good up that way. I drive my commuter car so it being Plano, everyone elses car will more than likely be nicer than mine

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Anybody know anything about the DART Rail station in Irving? The University of Dallas Station? I think I got that right.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I second the request for UNT station info. That's the southern terminus for the blue line, right?

Correct.
    Click on DART Rail link (left hand column) and then click on the colour line you’re interested in and stations are listed, in order (again, left hand column):
    1e5359140a0ce99a403f8a454539e95a.jpg

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Cool pick me up on your way.
    I’ll chip-in five bucks for gas

I was going to say the same thing to you and your uber ride. :)

I don't have uber, but a quick google search looks like they'd charge around $64 from my house to the convention center.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    I was going to say the same thing to you and your uber ride. :)

I don't have uber, but a quick google search looks like they'd charge around $64 from my house to the convention center.
    uber policy states they dont allow guns to be carried by their drivers or passengers so if you do uber, dont open carry

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Ben, did you ever get your answer. I didn't realize what you were asking until it was too late. Guess I'm not as good at multi function tasks as I once was.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Heading there Saturday am. Plan on being there when they open. Momma said I cant be there all day but I will see how much there is to see.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    NRA literature was originally saying they were to have 15 acres “of stuff” to look at. Tonight’s newscast is now saying the Exhibit Hall is hosting 20 acres of stuff! Wear comfortable “walking shoes”!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, did you ever get your answer.
    No, but the point is moot. I had something come up this evening that requires me to stay home for a couple of days, minimum. I tend to make last-second decisions to go on little trips like this. This time the decision was taken out of my hands.

ETA: Last time I went to the Olympics, I decided 10 days out. I bought tickets a year early but that was less than $100. The actual decision to go was made at the last minute once people with unfilled housing (and there's always lots of it) went into a full-on panic. A cut-throat price war was raging and I got accommodations for literally 10% of the price advertised a year in advance.

As for this meeting, if I had properly signed up for everything months ago, I'd be losing a lot of money right now. Some things are best left to the last minute.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom