• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The average guy buying a pistol at Academy will not think twice about handing over his license. 95% will not see it as any sort of issue.

The fact is though what does relinquishing your driver's license solve? Whenever I go to look at a pistol at Academy I expect to wait because the experiences I have had they only allow one customer to handle a firearm at a time per employee... Seems to me if you hired half decent employees to begin with they'd be able to watch for shifty behavior and a customer attempt to walkoff or pocket a firearm and alert loss prevention... Just my two cents...

Also knowing this is the policy in advance, what's to stop the wrong doing individual from acquiring a fake id in order to not suffer a loss when walking off with the firearm?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I get it...I just dont see the big deal or how I am being violated. Perhaps because you cant kill someone with a plane fare, or a rental rate, they dont make you show ID, but my point was that everyone acts as if their DL is some super secret info when its really not. We use it for lots of stuff.

As far as unhinged, it appears this thread has some folks worked up and calling others "sheeple" for respecting a business owners right to set a policy.

I dont like WalMart's policy of selling nearly rotten fruit, so I just dont buy food there anymore. I dont call them names and call people names for still shopping there, but I dont want to buy from them because of their practices. The underlying tone that they are somehow doing something wrong for trying to protect their inventory just seems odd to me.

Then again, I have probably became riled up at things other consider beneign.
    Many people will not show their ID to a stranger unless they have to. I am in that camp. And, I didn't see one post advocating anything more than not shopping at Academy. They have the right to stupid and insulting policies, we have the right to not shop there.

I agree that the average person going to Academy to buy a Taurus will have no problem handing over ID before being allowed to look at a product. This person is probably accustomed to such things.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Also knowing this is the policy in advance, what's to stop the wrong doing individual from acquiring a fake id in order to not suffer a loss when walking off with the firearm?
    Nothing, but most are not ambitious enough to do so. I have been to Academy when there are 10 or 12 customers at the counter. Dont blame them for not wanting 2 guys to try and keep their eys on a dozen weapons floating around.

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    While Academy was purchased by the same company that owns Dollar Tree, TRS etc I doubt this is the reason for the change-
    KKR is a private equity firm specializing in leveraged buyouts and has been around for 35 years and they are huge.
    They will make some changes to hopefully cause it to make more revenue and then flip it- I doubt gun sales are a dent in Revenues vs
    all the rest of the inventory they sell. Hate to see it cease being family owned but thats the breaks.

On the profiling issue- I think they can do it and not get caught unless they only card/hold every minority.
    If every runner was a minority I would do it too-
    Heck, they could just take your DL and make a copy of it and give your DL back like most prudent car dealerships do before a test drive-
    Then at least they would have a record of every broke dick that comes in to coon finger a gun and doesn't buy one-
    Then we would know (no one would ever tell us hahah) what the ratio is- Bet it more than 10-1 though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    While Academy was purchased by the same company that owns Dollar Tree, TRS etc I doubt this is the reason for the change-
    KKR is a private equity firm specializing in leveraged buyouts and has been around for 35 years and they are huge.
    They will make some changes to hopefully cause it to make more revenue and then flip it- I doubt gun sales are a dent in Revenues vs
    all the rest of the inventory they sell. Hate to see it cease being family owned but thats the breaks.

On the profiling issue- I think they can do it and not get caught unless they only card/hold every minority.
    Heck, they could just take your DL and make a copy of it and give your DL back like most prudent car dealerships do before a test drive-
    Then at least they would have a record of every broke dick that comes in to coon finger a gun and doesn't buy one-
    Then we would know (no one would ever tell us hahah) what the ratio is- Bet it more than 10-1 though.

Let's not turn this into a race thing.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ummmmmm.....if you're referring to "coon-finger"......that's an old term even Grandpa used - nothing to do with race. You ever seen a racoon in the wild with something shiney? That sucker will turn it every direction to check it out, and 99% of the time, toss it aside for the next thing that catches his eye.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    ummmmmm.....if you're referring to "coon-finger"......that's an old term even Grandpa used - nothing to do with race. You ever seen a racoon in the wild with something shiney? That sucker will turn it every direction to check it out, and 99% of the time, toss it aside for the next thing that catches his eye.

Has nothing to do with coon-fingering.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Nothing, but most are not ambitious enough to do so. I have been to Academy when there are 10 or 12 customers at the counter. Dont blame them for not wanting 2 guys to try and keep their eys on a dozen weapons floating around.

Exactly... You've got to be smart about it and keep them close, but this driver's license policy seems like they'd be trying to run too many hens in a coop which could pose to be problematic...

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Seems like much ado about nothing to me...if it is that big of a deal for you, then don't buy guns there...problem solved.

richardnorton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Trent, TX
    I worked at Academy once and what a bunch of loosers the management was, they didn't know the difference in company policy and federal laws, in reference to the 4473 they said you could abrivate nothing, the law says if the post office delievers with an abriviation it is ok. I refuse to buy guns there because usually the sales people are kids that don't know anything and most of the employees they hire are part time so they can get around all the hiring laws, so I don't even go into the store in Abilene, besides Wally world has better prices on ammo anyway.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    It doesn't seem to be a policy that is followed at all their stores, and it doesn't seem to be followed unless there is a crowd at the counter. The store in Katy is pretty iffy on whether it's followed or not. And as for WalMart, considering some of their PC management decisions as of late, I've stopped going there, period.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    2011-06-13 17.07.33.jpg

Woo hoo! We are still lock free at Gander Mountain still as of today.

Top Bottom