• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    The whole ID worry thing has me laughing. I've personally purchased lists of IDs from the Department of Public Safety that include everything that is on your ID for advertising and marketing purposes. All you have to do is tell them what counties you want and pay up.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I worked at Academy once and what a bunch of loosers the management was, they didn't know the difference in company policy and federal laws, in reference to the 4473 they said you could abrivate nothing, the law says if the post office delievers with an abriviation it is ok. I refuse to buy guns there because usually the sales people are kids that don't know anything and most of the employees they hire are part time so they can get around all the hiring laws, so I don't even go into the store in Abilene, besides Wally world has better prices on ammo anyway.

Actually the way the 4473s are filled out is dictated by your ATF inspector. The guys in San Antonio that do the Austin area inspections have a specific way they want stuff done, and this includes a lack of abbreviations. It varies from inspector to inspector as to what they want, and sometimes it's easier to just say no abbreviations (even though it says right on the form).

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Come on guys, get real. Most stores today pay minimum wage and they are getting minimum wage employees. Very few stores have any really knowledgable employees anyway. Side note: Monday we took my 90 year old father-in-law to Best Buy because he wanted a piano keyboard so he could learn to play the piano. 90 years old. Anyway while looking at the various models, a BB employee walked up and asked if he couild help. I asked him if he knew anything about keyboards and (of course) he said yes. Asked the difference between 2 Yamaha models, he proceeded to read the box front and said the difference for $60 was the color of the case. Thank you very much, wrong answer.

Anyway I want to an Academy im Tomball last week and looked at several guns, wasn't asked for anything, gun had no locks, and I was given the gun to fondle, and I ended up buying a Beretta 92 Compact. The biggest problem I have with Academy is them having to walk me out the front door before they will give me the gun I just paid for.

I guess if you're looking for a gun expert you just need to come to this forum for advice.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Ok guys ..... are we really insulting the clerks at Academy? ..... Really? ..... I mean is anyone really going to Academy expecting a verifiable gun Guru to be waiting behind the counter? ..... Really? ...... These are usually high school kids or kids trying to work their way though (or instead of) college.

And no offense to anyone who may run a shop, but in my experience most of the guys working in the gun shops don't know dick either, the most knowlagable ones are the true gunsmiths or the guys who actually care about what they're selling and unfortunately those guys are few and far between, at least in my experience dealing with south Tx and DFW area dealers.

If your going to get a gun do a little research, are any of us actually going to buy a gun and taking the opinion of whoever we're buying from to base our purchase on? I don't think so, we all do our own research, and so do most people ...... yeah there are a few new gun owners who go to Academy and think they know what their talking about, but it's gonna happen, and I've seen new gun owners go into gun shops asking for advise and getting screwed by the guys who do know what their doing by trying to convince them to buy what they want not what the customer needs.

So ripping on Academy employees is just a little arogant and uncalled for, nobody with a brain is taking their advice anyway, u go to Academy to get a good deal on a gun u already know u want because they sell it cheaper than the local gun shops, period ..... and at that point what the harm in showing your license to them when u know u want the gun and are going to give it to them anyway ...... never mind the fact that it's not an anti-gun policy, it an anti-theft policy, so it's not like Academy is trying to piss gun owners off on purpose, they want the business.

The reason my Academy does it is because we're 10 minutes from the border and they want to verify 2 things 1) the person is a citizen and can legally buy the gun, and 2) they want to avoid grab n' run thefts, because that does happen, my local gun shop has the same policy for the same reason, a Mexican citizen ran out the door with a Glock, 8 years ago and ever since he requires people to leave their ID to handle the guns.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I ain't gonna rip on folks - mainly because I don't go into such places expecting much outta 'em. If I go into a gun store and am met with an idiot - then, yeah - I AM gonna bust the owners' chops, because one of the things I'm paying for IS a higher level of knowledge/expertise - if no more than knowing what they don't know, and who to ask to get a qualified answer.

I get involved with technical issues routinely. Having been in the field for 35 years, I'm fairly knowledgeable, but certainly no "expert" - but I don't hesitate to tell a customer/client "I'm not sure - let me double-check on that and get you an answer." I've found that by being willing to do that, my client's tend to trust me more - and depend on the accuracy of what I do tell 'em. What DOES tick me off is when I ask a question to which I ALREADY know the answer, and get back some BS response!

ISO1600

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Abilene
    I have almost no reason at all to buy anything gun-related at Academy. 99% of their prices are either high or just "ok". I did find two boxes of 168gr FGMM SMK .308 for $24ea at the Abilene Academy last week though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I was at Academy in Round Rock a couple days ago and fondled a couple of guns without being asked for ID. Usually I can talk them into taking the trigger lock off too. I'm guessing that since I look a little like Grizzly Adams they assume I have some firearms experience and are comfortable with me handling their guns. Hey, maybe this profiling thing isn't so bad

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    Hey folks, I was finally able to call Academy's corporate office today. The gentleman I spoke with told me there has NOT been a policy change chain-wide, he researched it to verify. He called the store to confirm the store-specific policy and was told this policy was implemented due to theft.

He contacted the district manager with a recommendation that they implement signage about this store-specific policy and inform their associates that this is not a standard practice. He said I should hear from the DM within 3 business days.

I'm happy with how Academy treated me during my phone call and the time that was taken to research the issue (phone call lasted about 60min). I still will not be visiting that particular store again. Their store, their rules, but ultimately my choice.

slammr

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    I don't get it. Your gonna have to let them have your ID/CHL to buy a gun. Jeez. I don't think it's anything to get that worked up about. You've taken longer to compose this complaining E-mail than the time you would have spent getting your ID back at the store. Your not going to change corp policy by bitchin at the counter rep or the local mgr.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Your not going to change corp policy by bitchin at the counter rep or the local mgr.

Actually.....you might. At very least, you've made them aware of YOUR opinion of it - and frankly, what's so wrong with that? Perhaps if MORE of us expressed ourselves against the liberal do-gooder kinda BS policies that pop up, maybe we'd be able to actually stop some of it. Doesn't hurt to try, IMO.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Actually.....you might. At very least, you've made them aware of YOUR opinion of it - and frankly, what's so wrong with that? Perhaps if MORE of us expressed ourselves against the liberal do-gooder kinda BS policies that pop up, maybe we'd be able to actually stop some of it. Doesn't hurt to try, IMO.

I agree. I think customer service is becoming something that people are forgetting about when they're trying to make the mass produced dollar. Then again when I've sent emails and left phone messages for managers at establishments that I've received less than par service at I usually hear from them within 48 hours and when I return a few months later I notice a considerable difference. If you make a big enough stink at the desk to the low men on the totem pole and they remember you, whenever you complain higher up the ladder they're going to be able to say "yes he came in here and yes we lost a sale because of policy x."

Top Bottom