• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I will not relinquish my license to anyone other than law enforcement. Most definitely not to a business that wants my business. I would simply say no (I guess I could ask for the salespersons license for me to hold while he held held mine).
    So you've never bought a gun from a retail store?

Y'all do realize you'll have to give them your drivers license when you fill out the 4473 to buy the gun. If someone was serious about buying a gun I don't see why showing them your drivers license a few minutes early would be a problem.
    ARJ Defense ad

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep. Everybody has rights, For example, we have a right to discuss it.

Galyans, Hermans, Oshmans, Sears, K-Mart, Western Auto, Wards, Spiegel, Sportsmans, Target and many other stores that sold guns and are now no longer doing so or out of business completely are the harsh proof the marketplace can be very cruel to retailers that are stupid.

The main reason most of those stores no longer sell guns (at least the ones that are still in business) is that it has become politically incorrect for them to do so. Society is nowhere nearly as gun friendly as it was in the past. Hell, I remember people bringing their .22 rifles to school and us all making huge knives in metal shop... Completely different pussified world we live in now.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You have to show ID to fly on a plane, to rent a car, to rent a hotel room. Yet we get unhinged because one Academy, in a high crime area, wants ID before they hand you a gun?

You are not going to get it, and that is OK, but for the record, you do not have to show ID to ask about plane fares, to ask about car rental rates, or to ask about hotel room rates. And I saw nothing stating this a high crime area. In fact, it appears to be a near-random policy depending upon store manager, and NO ONE has documented a single case of a gun runoff.

I also do not see anyone becoming unhinged. It does not affect me, as I do not even shop in Academy, but I hate to see businesses go under for stupid business decisions.

BTW, does Radio Shack still ask for your full ID, email, phone, etc., when you buy a battery? Haven't shopped there in a decade either.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So you've never bought a gun from a retail store?

Y'all do realize you'll have to give them your drivers license when you fill out the 4473 to buy the gun. If someone was serious about buying a gun I don't see why showing them your drivers license a few minutes early would be a problem.

You have to give them your money or CC too, do you see a problem with giving them that up-front too?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The main reason most of those stores no longer sell guns (at least the ones that are still in business) is that it has become politically incorrect for them to do so. Society is nowhere nearly as gun friendly as it was in the past. Hell, I remember people bringing their .22 rifles to school and us all making huge knives in metal shop... Completely different pussified world we live in now.

Many of them are out-of-business, so there problems are much bigger than that.

But for the others, it is mostly because that amount of shelf space can generate more profit selling something else. Anytime you put a roadblock to a customer buying a product, whether it is ID before touch or behind a locked glass case, you will see reduced sales/profit. I was in Wal-Mart to Buy an iPod last week, could not find anyone who had a key to unlock the glass case, I bought it from someone else instead. Pretty much the same principle.

☯ Kung Fu ☯

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Alabama
    just wanted to weigh in on this, i live in alabama (maybe diff laws than Texas, i dunno) but i was in Academy looking at Glocks, and the guy actually took the trigger lock off for me, if i promised not to dry-fire it.. never asked me for a DL or anything.. guess it just depends on the individual stores & employees

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I doubht I would ever buy a gun there, might grab some ammo from time to time but thats about it. All the sales people that are younger claim to be coast guard snipers

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Academy Willowbrook. On 1960 right by the Jared jewelry store. Feel free to validate it. That store isn't in the best part of town so that helps lead me to believe this is a store specific thing. The store in Tomball on 2920 didn't do this a couple months ago when I went there.
    I'm pretty sure this location is also the one that insists on walking your ammo to the customer servce booth for checkout. I'm not too surprised, though - the Willowcrook area has really gone to shit the last 5-10 years.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You are not going to get it, and that is OK, but for the record, you do not have to show ID to ask about plane fares, to ask about car rental rates, or to ask about hotel room rates. And I saw nothing stating this a high crime area. In fact, it appears to be a near-random policy depending upon store manager, and NO ONE has documented a single case of a gun runoff.

I also do not see anyone becoming unhinged. It does not affect me, as I do not even shop in Academy, but I hate to see businesses go under for stupid business decisions.

BTW, does Radio Shack still ask for your full ID, email, phone, etc., when you buy a battery? Haven't shopped there in a decade either.
    I get it...I just dont see the big deal or how I am being violated. Perhaps because you cant kill someone with a plane fare, or a rental rate, they dont make you show ID, but my point was that everyone acts as if their DL is some super secret info when its really not. We use it for lots of stuff.

As far as unhinged, it appears this thread has some folks worked up and calling others "sheeple" for respecting a business owners right to set a policy.

I dont like WalMart's policy of selling nearly rotten fruit, so I just dont buy food there anymore. I dont call them names and call people names for still shopping there, but I dont want to buy from them because of their practices. The underlying tone that they are somehow doing something wrong for trying to protect their inventory just seems odd to me.

Then again, I have probably became riled up at things other consider beneign.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I'm in the "what's the big deal" camp. If you don't like the policy, then don't shop there. However, I hardly find this policy "disturbing" on any level.

About 15 years ago, I was stationed in California in the Army. There was an independently owned gun store that wanted to hold your DL before they would hand over a firearm. I asked if this was some sort of state law or policy to prevent theft. The owner told me that it was to keep from handing guns over to individuals that would not be allowed to purchase them (under age, illegal immigrant, out of state for handguns, etc). I had an out-of-state license but told him that I was on military orders, and he let me handle whatever I wanted. I later came back with my orders and bought guns from him, no big deal.

If I owned a gun store, I would likely have a similar policy... especially if my store also sold basketballs and slip&slides.

-Randy

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I get it...I just dont see the big deal or how I am being violated. Perhaps because you cant kill someone with a plane fare, or a rental rate, they dont make you show ID, but my point was that everyone acts as if their DL is some super secret info when its really not. We use it for lots of stuff.

Nobody said you were violated.

Nobody said their DL is super secret.

Nobody said they are doing anything wrong.

No need to make stuff up.

Sure a gun can kill, so can a knife, do they ask for ID, before you touch a knife? No, so bad analogy.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Renegade, I said it was the underlying tone of the thread.

But to make it easier, you are right, I am wrong. Screw Academy!!!!! I am gonna boycott them too!! (After I get the shoes that I ordered today on academy.com)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Renegade, I said it was the underlying tone of the thread.

But to make it easier, you are right, I am wrong. Screw Academy!!!!! I am gonna boycott them too!! (After I get the shoes that I ordered today on academy.com)

I did not pickup that tone, if you did then we saw it different.

The fact you state you are going to boycott Academy (even though meant in jest), shows you completely missed my point. That is the last thing I want.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Posts 1,6,9,12,16 and several others seem to be those of someone who is somewhat angry at the policy

So if you dont feel violated,
    your DL isnt a secret,
    Academy hasn't done anything wrong,
    and you aren't going to stop shopping at Academy,
    what is the issue?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    All I have to add is this:

Read through this thread of conservative members arguing over a small item - THEN - ask yourself if it's any wonder why the Republicans can't get their one voice together to elect a president.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Posts 1,6,9,12,16 and several others seem to be those of someone who is somewhat angry at the policy

So if you dont feel violated,
    your DL isnt a secret,
    Academy hasn't done anything wrong,
    and you aren't going to stop shopping at Academy,
    what is the issue?

Post #85 sums it up:

Anytime you put a roadblock to a customer buying a product, whether it is ID before touch or behind a locked glass case, you will see reduced sales/profit. I was in Wal-Mart to Buy an iPod last week, could not find anyone who had a key to unlock the glass case, I bought it from someone else instead. Pretty much the same principle.

I want Academy to succeed. I want the gun buying experience to be pleasant and hassle free. I want more people to join our sport. Policies like this do not work toward that end. Within a few miles of the Academy near me, there is a WalMart, Cheaper than Dirt, Dicks, Gander Mountain, and Cabelas. Both Gander and Cabelas have HUNDREDS of rifles on their floor, no ID, no ask for permission. Just pick them up and try them out. I fear Academy's days in my area are numbered if they enact this kind of stupid policy.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The average guy buying a pistol at Academy will not think twice about handing over his license. 95% will not see it as any sort of issue.

Yep.
    Where I live your choice is WM or Academy or if I want to drive a little, Bass Pro and Dick's. Bass Pro and Dick's have no chance at competing with Academy's prices.

Top Bottom