• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Great so when they **** up again and the dems run it as the main talking point we are just going to bend over and take it? Because as you know everyone can afford a backup generator especially the past two years. Now when we lose seats because people are sick of BASIC services that we pay for are barely functional at the beginning of summer before it gets super hot, I’m sure it will be worth it.
    Me and a few thousand other guys have been out in this furnace all summer (not counting my vacation) upgrading and building new transmission lines to keep the grid stable.
    Neither me or anyone else in earshot can flip a switch and magically bring a new generation plant on line.
    If you want to armchair quarterback this thing, have at it. We'll still be out there tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
    Sweating our balls off till winter. Then we'll freeze them off.
    Just make sure you pay your electric bill.

I'd appreciate any prayers for rain and cooler temperatures.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Me and a few thousand other guys have been out in this furnace all summer (not counting my vacation) upgrading and building new transmission lines to keep the grid stable.
    Neither me or anyone else in earshot can flip a switch and magically bring a new generation plant on line.
    If you want to armchair quarterback this thing, have at it. We'll still be out there tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
    Sweating our balls off till winter. Then we'll freeze them off.
    Just make sure you pay your electric bill.

I'd appreciate any prayers for rain and cooler temperatures.
    Grandpa was a line men It sucks I get it. No one should be upset with you. But hot wheels and his ilk have put everyone behind the eight ball. You invite these companies and all their liberal employees here and don’t provide them with basic service like the lights staying on they are going to boot them out. Then we end up with Francis Beto the fudge packer and we are all up shits creek. I’ve asked my congress critter what their plan was. “We are looking at multiple options is what I got back” so I have little to no faith that anything is being done other then them lining their pockets some how and leaving us to deal with it. Like Cruz running off to Mexico when the lights went out in the winter storm.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Me and a few thousand other guys have been out in this furnace all summer (not counting my vacation) upgrading and building new transmission lines to keep the grid stable…
    What happened to retiring? First, it was just one project. Is this the same one or different?

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    The February 2021 issues have been addressed. That fell squarely on the shoulders of the natural gas suppliers.

This kind of heat isn't uncommon.
    If you want Uber reliability, get ready to pay California energy prices.

A backup generator is like a carry gun.
    Or an insurance policy.

Nothing man-made is failsafe.
    Nothing.

Generation is expensive and slow to build.
    No matter the "source".
    The grid is as stable as it's ever been.
    The federally subsidized snake oil crap is to blame.
    We need coal.
    Obama fucked that up

You mean cheaper?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Wanna guess how many ERCOT controlled lines are out of service right now?

I'll give y'all a hint.
    It's less than one.
    We don't get outages on anything under ERCOT from May till September.
    Unfortunately, I'm on a project that is upgrading a line from 69000 volts(below ERCOT control ) to 138000 volts.(just above minimum for ERCOT control)

If delivery schedules hold and nature cooperates. We'll have a big chunk of the North Texas grid shored up by Thanksgiving.

We're a month behind on pole and insulator deliveries. We can't get concrete for foundation installations.

I'm hot and tired.

Enjoy your air conditioning.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

I'll give y'all a hint.
    It's less than one.
    Unfortunately, I'm on a project that is upgrading a line from 69000 volts(below ERCOT control ) to 138000 volts.(just above minimum for ERCOT control)

If delivery schedules hold and nature cooperates. We'll have a big chunk of the North Texas grid shored up by Thanksgiving.

We're a month behind on pole and insulator deliveries. We can't get concrete for foundation installations.

I'm hot and tired.

Where at? We are converting a ton of 69 to 138.

Reactions: gll

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'll give y'all a hint.
    It's less than one.

I'm hot and tired.

Big boys playing with big toys. Hats off to you and the men

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Buddy of mine does this kinda stuff, not sure exactly what but I do know I'm jealous when he posts pics at the end of the rope, other end attached to the helicopter.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    The February 2021 issues have been addressed. That fell squarely on the shoulders of the natural gas suppliers.

This kind of heat isn't uncommon.
    If you want Uber reliability, get ready to pay California energy prices.

A backup generator is like a carry gun.
    Or an insurance policy.

Nothing man-made is failsafe.
    Nothing.

Generation is expensive and slow to build.
    No matter the "source".
    The grid is as stable as it's ever been.
    The federally subsidized snake oil crap is to blame.
    We need coal.
    Obama fucked that up
    Yep, I HAVE SAID IT 10,000 TIMES.
    Renewable Production Tax Credits are 100% to blame.
    They have been signed into law or extended by EVERY president since George H W Bush, except for one.
    Any guesses who that one is?
    Nope, not the great MAGA King.
    It’s the current potato.
    But don’t worry, I’m sure he’d love to given half a chance.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Simple fix....Texas should tax energy producers 2X-3X the amount of the Fed subsidies for wind and solar construction..... and give deep tax breaks and legal protection for new gas, coal, and nuclear plants. Also, in peak usage crunches, make all Texas energy production focus on Texas needs....screw the rest of the states.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    How, exactly, is ERCOT screwing this up?
    The buck stops with them, they want to be in charge, the my want to be paid to be in charge, they claim to be in charge. I can’t run around acting like I’m the boss then hide when One of my employees screws something up. If they don’t want to run the grid fine. Tie us into the rest of the country prepare for all of that headache and move on. But if you get paid to regulate, forcast, and run the grid when it screws up it’s on you. This “they did it not me!” Shit has to end. Two years and it’s still “oh shit oh shit it’s going to hit 105 we have to start turning everything off!” Stop simping for governing bodies and hold them accountable.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Grandpa was a line men It sucks I get it. No one should be upset with you. But hot wheels and his ilk have put everyone behind the eight ball. You invite these companies and all their liberal employees here and don’t provide them with basic service like the lights staying on they are going to boot them out. Then we end up with Francis Beto the fudge packer and we are all up shits creek. I’ve asked my congress critter what their plan was. “We are looking at multiple options is what I got back” so I have little to no faith that anything is being done other then them lining their pockets some how and leaving us to deal with it. Like Cruz running off to Mexico when the lights went out in the winter storm.
    The problem is less increased demand and more too many renewables. The latter with the taxpayer subsidy competitive advantage has forced thermal generation out of business. This left us relying on intermittent generation resources.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The buck stops with them, they want to be in charge, the my want to be paid to be in charge, they claim to be in charge. I can’t run around acting like I’m the boss then hide when One of my employees screws something up. If they don’t want to run the grid fine. Tie us into the rest of the country prepare for all of that headache and move on. But if you get paid to regulate, forcast, and run the grid when it screws up it’s on you. This “they did it not me!” Shit has to end. Two years and it’s still “oh shit oh shit it’s going to hit 105 we have to start turning everything off!” Stop simping for governing bodies and hold them accountable.
    You really do not understand ERCOT, its role and the capabilities/power that it has been granted.

Read what I wrote again and comprehend it.

Hold the correct governing body accountable - the legislature.

If a dog is at the end of its chain, you can beat the dog all you want. It ain't going no further. You have to address the issue with the one who owns the chain.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Simple fix....Texas should tax energy producers 2X-3X the amount of the Fed subsidies for wind and solar construction..... and give deep tax breaks and legal protection for new gas, coal, and nuclear plants.
    That’s an Interesting idea, but they would still have many onerous federal hurdles.
    Also, in peak usage crunches, make all Texas energy production focus on Texas needs....screw the rest of the states.
    That’s pretty much what happens now.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    And again,
    Yep, I HAVE SAID IT 10,000 TIMES.
    Renewable Production Tax Credits are 100% to blame.
    They have been signed into law or extended by EVERY president since George H W Bush, except for one.
    Any guesses who that one is?
    Nope, not the great MAGA King.
    It’s the current potato.
    But don’t worry, I’m sure he’d love to given half a chance.

Top Bottom