intro-pistols.png

Guns International

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I am wondering what type of loading the FBI used then for 10mm. Thanks for sharing

The original 10mm load was a 200 gr bullet at 1200 FPS from a 5" barrel. That loading was from Norma. The FBI did use some of those original Norma loads but issued a 175 gr Winchester Silvertip at 1275 FPS. I've fired both the original Norma load and the FBI load and they both have pretty stout reoil. There were a couple of problems with that FBI loading.

1. The affirmative action hires couldn't handle the recoil.
    2. The bullet wasn't really designed to handle those velocities.

As a result of those two problems the wise heads at the FBI neutered the 10mm to the 100 year old ballistics of the .38-40.

Since almost every non-FBI LEO fancies themselves a junior FBI agent they started following the FBI in lockstep to the .40 Short and Weak. Same thing happened when the FBI went back to the well over 100 year old 9mm, LEO agencies across the country couldn't drop the .40 Short and Weak fast enough.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The original 10mm load was a 200 gr bullet at 1200 FPS from a 5" barrel. That loading was from Norma. The FBI did use some of those original Norma loads but issued a 175 gr Winchester Silvertip at 1275 FPS. I've fired both the original Norma load and the FBI load and they both have pretty stout reoil. There were a couple of problems with that FBI loading.

1. The affirmative action hires couldn't handle the recoil.
    2. The bullet wasn't really designed to handle those velocities.

As a result of those two problems the wise heads at the FBI neutered the 10mm to the 100 year old ballistics of the .38-40.

Since almost every non-FBI LEO fancies themselves a junior FBI agent they started following the FBI in lockstep to the .40 Short and Weak. Same thing happened when the FBI went back to the well over 100 year old 9mm, LEO agencies across the country couldn't drop the .40 Short and Weak fast enough.

That's slower than Underwood 200 gr. which is what I thought the originals were loaded to...

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...p-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865916686393

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When I shoot my Sig 229 40 loaded with Winchester Ranger ammo, it just seems like my balls are hanging just a little lower.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Just do a Google and you'll see the original load was 200gr at 1200 fps. A power level that few reloading manuals today will even approach.

Haven't pushed this particular envelope yet, but a quick check seems to show Longshot, AA#9, and CFE coming in pretty close to that at max-listed..

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    They come pretty close.
    Haven't pushed this particular envelope yet, but a quick check seems to show Longshot, AA#9, and CFE coming in pretty close to that at max-listed..

Power Pistol will do it as will Blue Dot.

If I can sell a gun or two I'll have to pick up that new XD(M) 5.25 to play with. Right now all my 10mm handguns are 1911s. I've always said that if SA delivers a poly framed 10mm I would buy it. I've also looked at the EAA Witness P Match as a possible poly 10mm.

If I go the SA route I'll wait till the OSP version comes out. Since I got my Canik TP9SFx I'm really liking red dots on pistols. I've had Ruger MK pistols with red dots on them for ages. But I'm liking the centerfire with a red dot more and more.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I have a CZ 75B in 40 and its a great pistol. 40 shoots "flatter" if you need to reach out with a pistol, though reaching out with a pistol is not a good idea in my mind. It also has higher energy compared to either 9mm or 45acp. (I carry a 9mm)

Top Bottom