• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Fresh from the quench. The black finish is from the oil and hot steel. It would wear off if I tried to keep it (it's pretty uneven as it is) so I'll sand it back to a shiny finish.

20231028_152050.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Don’t think I’ve posted mine, but here it is. It’s a beast, and sharp as a razor. It weighs 3lb 1oz.

Got it at a garage sale for $2 I think.

It was pretty rusty. I cleaned it up and wrapped the handle in paracord. I love this thing.

IMG_8576.jpeg

IMG_8579.jpeg

IMG_8578.jpeg
    IMG_8577.jpeg

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ok. Handle fit-up was...interesting. The Bonechopper is still fighting me every step of the way. In my previous knives, parts fit-up went smoothly and I was able to dry-fit the bolsters and scales and pin them in place before grabbing the epoxy and everything went smoothly.

Well, my experience the other night fitting and epoxying the brass bolsters told me I'd be in for a challenge today. Parts that had gone together just fine for rough shaping suddenly didn't go together right for final fitting, and today was no exception.

So once I got the wood roughly cut and in place, I drilled the pin holes so they would line up perfectly when the scales are snugly between the brass guard and pommel pieces. The time came to dry fit and...

Nope. No good. The pins couldn't go through. I sanded the pins and...nope. They'd go through each scale and they'd go through the tang, but not through more than one at a time.

So I lost a couple of hours driving to town to buy 30 minute epoxy, because my usual 5 minute epoxy was going to guarantee a disaster.

When I got home, I cut the handle pins extra long and tapered one end like a sharpened pencil.

Then I mixed the epoxy and slathered it on, slid the handle scales in place and tapped the pins in like nails.

Here's where we are now.

20231104_170716.jpg

20231104_172301.jpg
    Closeup on the tapered pins

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Ok. Handle fit-up was...interesting. The Bonechopper is still fighting me every step of the way. In my previous knives, parts fit-up went smoothly and I was able to dry-fit the bolsters and scales and pin them in place before grabbing the epoxy and everything went smoothly.

Well, my experience the other night fitting and epoxying the brass bolsters told me I'd be in for a challenge today. Parts that had gone together just fine for rough shaping suddenly didn't go together right for final fitting, and today was no exception.

So once I got the wood roughly cut and in place, I drilled the pin holes so they would line up perfectly when the scales are snugly between the brass guard and pommel pieces. The time came to dry fit and...

Nope. No good. The pins couldn't go through. I sanded the pins and...nope. They'd go through each scale and they'd go through the tang, but not through more than one at a time.

So I lost a couple of hours driving to town to buy 30 minute epoxy, because my usual 5 minute epoxy was going to guarantee a disaster.

When I got home, I cut the handle pins extra long and tapered one end like a sharpened pencil.

Then I mixed the epoxy and slathered it on, slid the handle scales in place and tapped the pins in like nails.

Here's where we are now.

View attachment 413750

View attachment 413751
    Closeup on the tapered pins
    Looking good.

Top Bottom