Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Quanell X shooting his mouth off.

Let me say unequivocally, after years on both sides of “South Main” in Houston, that their “Community Activists” are massive HYPOCRITES !

Not to be unnecessarily contrarian, but I don't put Quanell X in the same category as most of those activists. He stood up for the 2A (selfishly, yes, but he did it) when he surrounded himself with a contingent of guards openly carrying SKSs and shotguns back in 2000 so that he could read a statement in protest of the death penalty while Laura Bush was speaking at the state GOP convention here in Houston.

That link will probably bring up a security warning for you so if you don't want to visit the site, the relevant text follows. Everyone will note that it makes various factual errors about gun laws in Texas (What else is new?) and that it says AKs were present. I watched on TV and there were no AKs, just SKSs and shotguns. Anyway, the text:

The Secret Service has arrested unarmed protesters who spoke harshly to
    President Clinton and shoved reporters out of the way when they wanted
    to question his wife, Hillary.

But when a group of Black Panthers carrying AK-47s, shotguns and other
    rifles marched on the site where Texas first lady Laura Bush was about
    to speak earlier this month, the Secret Service took no action, the
    agency confirmed
    on Tuesday.

"We were aware of the situation and we were monitoring it, but Mrs. Bush
    was never in any danger," a Secret Service spokesperson told NewsMax.com
    on Tuesday.

At noon on June 16, 15 members of the New Black Panther Party led by
    Minister Quanell X emerged from a converted military vehicle to protest
    the impending execution of convicted killer Gary Graham. The armed group
    clad in black fatigues marched on the George R. Brown Convention Center
    in the heart of downtown Houston, where the wife of presidential
    candidate George W. Bush was scheduled to address the state GOP
    convention the very next hour.

Like President Clinton, Vice President Gore and their families, the
    Bushes are under round-the-clock Secret Service guard, a protection that
    will continue for the duration of the presidential campaign.

When asked about the gun-toting Panther protest, a Secret Service
    spokesman explained, "To our understanding there was no violation of the
    law."

Indeed, it is legal to carry assault rifles in Texas as long as strict
    licensing regulations and other restrictions are complied with. The guns
    cannot be "brandished" in a threatening manner and must not be aimed at
    anyone in particular.

But Houston police did not confront the Panthers to check for
    registrations or inspect the weapons for possible illegal modifications.
    Neither were background checks for possible felony arrest records
    performed. Texas law prohibits felons from carrying guns.

The Secret Service would not say whether they scrutinized the group for
    possible weapons violations, but media reports from the scene indicate
    there were no attempts by any law enforcement agency to question the
    armed demonstrators.

The agency spokesman also refused to say whether the Secret Service knew
    in advance that the Black Panthers had planned to march on the
    convention. Houston Police Department spokesman Robert Hurst told
    NewsMax.com last week that local law enforcement was aware of the
    Panthers' plans.
    Now, I'm not going to put Quanell X on the same pedestal as the Deacons for Defence and Justice but he has demonstrated an appreciation of the 2A that exceeds that of most race-baiting "community activists."

Further, he was willing to test his own anti-cop beliefs on camera when he was invited to go through a set of shoot/no-shoot training scenarios. He had previously been a strong anti-cop screecher every time a police officer shot a black man. After the training, he publicly reconsidered his stance and demonstrated more empathy for folks who have to make life or death decisions in a few seconds or, sometimes, much less. I can't find the full video but here's the teaser just to prove he did it.

These days, Quanell X isn't out front with anti-LEO rhetoric in every case. He's gained some perspective. That doesn't stop him from protesting cases like the one in this thread. He's not really on our side, obviously, but he's not the rabid anti-freedom idiot he used to be.

In sum, I'm willing to cut Quanell X some slack. I know that's sacrilege around here but I said it and I'll stick by it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Not to be unnecessarily contrarian, but I don't put Quanell X in the same category as most of those activists. He stood up for the 2A (selfishly, yes, but he did it) when he surrounded himself with a contingent of guards openly carrying SKSs and shotguns back in 2000 so that he could read a statement in protest of the death penalty while Laura Bush was speaking at the state GOP convention here in Houston.

That link will probably bring up a security warning for you so if you don't want to visit the site, the relevant text follows. Everyone will note that it makes various factual errors about gun laws in Texas (What else is new?) and that it says AKs were present. I watched on TV and there were no AKs, just SKSs and shotguns. Anyway, the text:

Now, I'm not going to put Quanell X on the same pedestal as the Deacons for Defence and Justice but he has demonstrated an appreciation of the 2A that exceeds that of most race-baiting "community activists."

Further, he was willing to test his own anti-cop beliefs on camera when he was invited to go through a set of shoot/no-shoot training scenarios. He had previously been a strong anti-cop screecher every time a police officer shot a black man. After the training, he publicly reconsidered his stance and demonstrated more empathy for folks who have to make life or death decisions in a few seconds or, sometimes, much less. I can't find the full video but here's the teaser just to prove he did it.

These days, Quanell X isn't out front with anti-LEO rhetoric in every case. He's gained some perspective. That doesn't stop him from protesting cases like the one in this thread. He's not really on our side, obviously, but he's not the rabid anti-freedom idiot he used to be.

In sum, I'm willing to cut Quanell X some slack. I know that's sacrilege around here but I said it and I'll stick by it.

Please see my post #260, this thread. It doesn’t mention Quanell X ; but it does tell a true tale of an incident which began a few blocks from my home.

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    Please post the Texas Penal Code statute which applies to that last shot...
    Your right, I don't think there is one, unless you want to go after the guy for abusing a corpse, depending on if the medical examiner can determine which shot killed him. According to some of the attorneys I have heard it may be that last shot to the head the Grand Jury may have a problem with. Me? That last shot don't bother me in the least. The dead guy played a stupid game and got a stupid prize.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Still a good question. I sent an email to the lawyer who released a statement about the shooting. Maybe the Grand Jury has reviewed the case by now.
    No reply from lawyer mentioned in article or several reporters who covered it. Now trying to get info out of Harris County DA office. Problem is lack of info like a case nr. etc. So far only have lawyer's name and victim. More news later

Reactions: gll

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Cop want to "talk" to him. Drives a distinctive truck.
    Many of these restaurants are posted. Hopefully our boy dont catch a catch
    OK, Forum members the challenge is to find out what the heck happened in this shooting with Houston Police and/or Harris County DA.

I have tried to find out via Harris County District Clerk's office and Harris County DA's office with no success. Emails to TV reporters who covered the story and an attorney said to represent shooter were not answered. Key info lacking is what's called case numbered if it was referred by police to DA, maybe it hasn't been sent to DA's office, who knows?

From news stories posted here I have noted;
    Shooting happened at El Ranchito#4 6873 S Gessner Rd, Houston, TX 77036, victim's name is 30-year-old Eric Eugene Washington. I found one report that the lawyer claiming to represent the defendant is Juan L. Guerra.

Can someone with better connections with Houston PD and/or DA's office pick up this 'cold case' and let the forum know what was the legal result so far of the shooting?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Can someone with better connections with Houston PD and/or DA's office pick up this 'cold case' and let the forum know what was the legal result so far of the shooting?
    2nd hit on google:

GRAND JURY WILL DECIDE FATE OF 'HERO' CUSTOMER WHO SHOT AND KILLED ROBBER AT TAQUERIA, HPD SAYS

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    W
    OK, Forum members the challenge is to find out what the heck happened in this shooting with Houston Police and/or Harris County DA.

I have tried to find out via Harris County District Clerk's office and Harris County DA's office with no success. Emails to TV reporters who covered the story and an attorney said to represent shooter were not answered. Key info lacking is what's called case numbered if it was referred by police to DA, maybe it hasn't been sent to DA's office, who knows?

From news stories posted here I have noted;
    Shooting happened at El Ranchito#4 6873 S Gessner Rd, Houston, TX 77036, victim's name is 30-year-old Eric Eugene Washington. I found one report that the lawyer claiming to represent the defendant is Juan L. Guerra.

Why stir things up in Houston with the DA?

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Should be public service ads on TV reminding bad guys they can be shot when committing crimes. Make sure they know the possible consequences, obviously their parents didn't explain it.

Top Bottom