• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My only issue with guns and Texas at least within reasonable drive time in the DAllas area is finding a good outdoor range that isn't crazy expensive, highly restrictive (no fmj, bi metal, steel case even found one that was no .22lr???) or oppressive (you may shoot sitting down at the bench only)

Clearly insurance is very high in this area and tying the hands of the ranges. And based in growth the area is pro business and contractor regarding zoning. Allowing builder to move into areas with established ranges and then push to have the range closed.

I'm guessing out west it's less of an issue

Some Texas transplants (not meant in a derogatory way) complain that finding places to shoot is more difficult, or the rules are more restricted. They speak longingly of driving to BLM land or some other area and shooting g to their hearts content for free. It sounds wonderful.

But then you realize that in many of those states the ability to buy your own large piece of dirt and setting up your own range outside your own back door is much more difficult. Most of the rural land in Texas is privately owned, and that's a hell of a thing. Not something I would trade for government permission to shoot on land which could be deemed of limits at the drop of a hat.

It's not terribly hard to become friends with someone and open up all kinds of possibilities for cheaper shooting. Usually just takes a willingness to help out from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My only issue with guns and Texas at least within reasonable drive time in the DAllas area is finding a good outdoor range that isn't crazy expensive, highly restrictive (no fmj, bi metal, steel case even found one that was no .22lr???) or oppressive (you may shoot sitting down at the bench only)

Clearly insurance is very high in this area and tying the hands of the ranges. And based in growth the area is pro business and contractor regarding zoning. Allowing builder to move into areas with established ranges and then push to have the range closed.

I'm guessing out west it's less of an issue

The consecutive letters N and Y in your screen name make me think that the first 3 numbers of your home town zip code might be 100. Then I'd want to ask for a comparison of the rigors of shooting in Texas vs "back home". But I won't. I won't.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Some Texas transplants (not meant in a derogatory way) complain that finding places to shoot is more difficult, or the rules are more restricted. They speak longingly of driving to BLM land or some other area and shooting g to their hearts content for free. It sounds wonderful.

But then you realize that in many of those states the ability to buy your own large piece of dirt and setting up your own range outside your own back door is much more difficult. Most of the rural land in Texas is privately owned, and that's a hell of a thing. Not something I would trade for government permission to shoot on land which could be deemed of limits at the drop of a hat.
    Yep, it's hard to have both ways. I love having my own piece of dirt to do what I want with and I think it's criminal that the government prevents new claims and homesteads in the wilderness. Conversely being able to explore relatively untraveled expanses of wilderness is very exciting and cathartic. If you've never lived in the west it's hard to conceptualize.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm sorry, I thought you already were.

from an idgit coffeeholic

I believe that was her point. :beat:

The thing that goes "bump" in the night

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thats-what-she-said.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Every time I cruise by this thread, the gravity of what the title says shocks me all over, again. Leave Texas? Are you kidding?

Regarding finding a place to shoot, I tried the "going to the woods" and found that lacking. Finally, I set my priorities, decided what was most important and have maintained membership in two gun clubs for many years. Sure, it costs money but the shooting sports are not just a hobby with this TGT member. It's my way of life and well worth the expenditure of funds.

Flash

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Other states can be fun to visit, but Texas will always be home. Visitors to my part of the state can't understand what I love about it. It's flat, no forest and the dirt will blow in the springtime, BUT the canyons have incredible beauty and our interstate highway only goes to Amarillo. God made the Llano to keep weaklings away.

Yes, I grew up where hills and mesquites blocked my view and bluebonnets made springtime beautiful, but damn it's humid down there. I'm a long way from Lockhart, but we have the Ponderosa in Dickens.

Rasputin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Cave Creek AZ
    Born and raised on the east slope of the Montana Rockies, prairie to the east and mountains to the west. Lived there 52 years. Love Montana. Been in Arizona for 14 years. Love Arizona, but I'm a Montanan living in Arizona. Spent a little time wandering through the great state of Texas. Damn, I love your state too. I've had that good barbecue in Lockhart and in Junction, and also down in San Antonio. I see a lot of beauty in the hill country around Fredricksburg, the farm land east of Dallas, and the wide open on I10 heading west. If there's one place I plan on spending some time when its rocking chair time, it will be Texas. I like the way you do things. I also appreciate the insight that I've gotten from this forum. Thank you Texans.

yetiking

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I am confused by this post. Have you looked in the laws in CA, NY, CT, IL and many others. We are so much better off in Texas. I am proud to live here. Now in the larger cities like here in Houston local politics are really a joke. You are right to say that things are getting much more liberal but on a state level I love what we have.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I'M still trying to understand what the presence/absence of wineries in Texas has to do with the decision to move to/move from there...

Top Bottom