• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am intrigued, is there anybody here that thinks they can draw faster while CC'ing, than they can while OC'ing?

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    yes that is the only documented instance of a LTC/OC getting taken out first I know of. Any others?

I didn't know of that one till I started researching...funny what you can dig up with an open mind and some effort. Daddy taught me never to say never-I'd probably be wrong. More times than not, he was right. I just never worried about someone getting my gun, and choose to keep it concealed. Personal choice is nice to have.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    If it was a real problem then places that have had OC far longer than Texas would have had the issue. The "you'll get shot first" argument is as valid as the anti gunner's argument that CC and OC will turn a place into the wild wild west where shootouts happen every few minutes, and simple road rage incidents will all escalate into a shootout. While examples of that happening are out there they are excedingly rare when you take into account the number of guns in circulation, the population of the US overall.

This is assuming you're joe civilian and not a cop or security guard who is guarding high value items that criminals are willing to accept an increased risk of death for. I'd imagine someone walking into a 7-11 where it's known the cash score from a drawer will be minimal will be willing to take that risk as even criminals do risk assessments even if they're aware they are or not.

Then again I'm not a scientist dude so what do I know.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/carrying-openly-make-target/

Since it DOES happen sometimes that a person open carrying becomes a target BECAUSE he's carrying, and we've proven that...better to spend our time talking about situational awareness, gun retention, etc instead of denying it. Sometimes it happens...sometimes it doesn't.

Good that we have choices in TX. Choices don't mean that we berate others who happen to choose differently than we do, and try to put some guilt trip on them about their choice. I won't be told that I "should" OC any more than I "should" ride a MC, or eat strawberry ice cream, or wear orange shirts. It's not about "using or losing" a "right"-the law says we have a choice. Respect mine, and I'll respect yours. Seems simple enough.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Look everyone, as anyone who knows me will attest, I am 100% for carrying however you feel like carrying, but denying that there is an increased risk associated with open carry is just delusional. There is an increased risk and if you OC you should take steps to mitigate that risk.

There is a reason why people who carry openly as part of their profession use holsters that have better retention than an Uncle Mike's nylon bag of generic holster.

There is a reason those people also look at every one and everything around them at all times.

OCers sometimes get robbed of their guns. It happens, accept it. OCers are sometimes shot first in robberies. It happens, accept it.

Some people are seriously faster shooting from a CC than 99% of people who OC.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Please quit spouting nonsense about why one is so much better than the other.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I will concede that Smith intended to steal the gun.
    Would he have been shot if he had not chased Smith afterwards?

Exactly. Lots of examples of folks getting robbed, not so many of the original premise "you get shot first". In fact, this thread has documented you are far more likely to get robbed, than to "get shot first".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Look everyone, as anyone who knows me will attest, I am 100% for carrying however you feel like carrying, but denying that there is an increased risk associated with open carry is just delusional. There is an increased risk and if you OC you should take steps to mitigate that risk.

There is a reason why people who carry openly as part of their profession use holsters that have better retention than an Uncle Mike's nylon bag of generic holster.

There is a reason those people also look at every one and everything around them at all times.

OCers sometimes get robbed of their guns. It happens, accept it. OCers are sometimes shot first in robberies. It happens, accept it.

Some people are seriously faster shooting from a CC than 99% of people who OC.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Please quit spouting nonsense about why one is so much better than the other.

All opinion, which you are entitled to but how do you know those people wouldn't have been shot if they weren't carrying?!?

Despite what you claim are "indisputable facts" are just instances that don't correlate with claims you are making. Just because those people were openly carrying doesn't mean that was the reason they were shot. You could make the same claim that every police officer was shot because he was armed, which simply isn't true.

And your claim that "Some people are seriously faster shooting from a CC than 99% of people who OC" doesn't make that a fact either. Take the same person and have them draw from OC and CC and the vast majority of the time they will be quicker with the former.

So if anyone is "spouting nonsense," it is you. You have yet to prove your point that open carry correlates to an increase in those OC'ing being shot. With all the states that allow it, there has to be clear evidence to that claim, but it doesn't exist. A few news articles doesn't make it true, I can find one about someone being stabbed over a cheeseburger; but that doesn't make a correlation between those to factors a trend.

But since you want scientific proof, here ya go...Researcher Gary Kleck found that 92 percent of criminal attacks are deterred when a gun is merely shown (or, rarely, a warning shot fired). By inference, this means that open carry would have the effect of deterring crime in the same way that a thief might choose another restaurant when he sees police eating at his intended target.

And you don't need specific studies to prove the point. Open carry has increased across the nation and crime rates are decreasing. There's a correlation for ya!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    All I can say is that it gives me peace of mind carrying open or concealed. I'd rather have that then wondering if something could happen and I'm not carrying.

Top Bottom