• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    OMG I hated him... Had him as my PE teacher in middle school (when the middle school was right next to the high school, before Buda and Kyle built new ones and the high school absorbed the old middle school building). He's the reason I stayed in band all 4 years so I didn't have to take PE anymore!
    LOL. Maybe I should DM.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OMG I hated him...

I signed up for (optional, extracurricular) tennis when I entered high school. Prior to the first practice, Coach Zerr caught me in the hall and told me I hadn't submitted some form to be on his tennis team.

"I'm not playing tennis."
    "You signed up right here."
    "Oh, yeah. Well...I'm not playing tennis if you're coaching it."

I just turned and walked away. He was never going to teach any class I'd take for the next 4 years so I felt no need to voluntarily sign up for more of the abuse he had heaped on me in 8th grade.

He's the reason I stayed in band all 4 years so I didn't have to take PE anymore!

Similar thought process here, though I would blame basically the entire coaching staff.

What instrument did you play? Bassoon, here.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

What is desperately needed in ALL of our Laws is a clear distinction b/t CRIMINALS/Those with criminal intent and the non-criminal Citizenry.

Seems the legislators want to keep punishing the innocent since they can’t reach the criminals in time.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Our society has rightly generally allowed for freedom and looked down on ratting people out. In my world you are innocent until proven guilty. I may dislike you choosing to speed, but I don't know why you are speeding, and I wouldn't be the one to intentionally impede someone speeding to get an injured person to the hospital. If I see a holstered gun, I DO NOT PRESUME that that person intends to harm me. Now if I see someone wielding a weapon around a school, I'll make that call, too, but holstered? C'mon man.
    <>

That’s a pretty bad analogy today.

”Speeding” has turned int a “right to speed’, which has morphed into an extremely dangerous “right to force one’s way in at 85mph”, which is.a public menace.

I drove 8 hours across Texas yesterday, 2 hours extra just to avoid IH10 around Houston.

Give me a moment to clear and I’ll gladly get out of your way, even if I’m already driving posted limit +10mph.

leVieux

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    <>

”Speeding” has turned int a “right to speed’, which has morphed into an extremely dangerous “right to force one’s way in at 85mph”, which is.a public menace.

I drove 8 hours across Texas yesterday, 2 hours extra just to avoid IH10 around Houston.

Give me a moment to clear and I’ll gladly get out of your way, even if I’m already driving posted limit +10mph.

leVieux

I'd bet good money that at least 80% of all speeding tickets in Texas come from tiny tiny towns that have non-standard limits, obscured signs, sudden changes in speeds, no posted signs at all...

Or even crooked cops making stuff up to get the city some extra dough. They know you aren't going to come back and fight it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Both Texas & LA Attorneys General have histories of arresting entire small-town PD’s.

Beasley & Kendalton SW of Houston and Henderson & Vinton in Louisiana.

One time at Henderson (the last little town on this side of the long “Swamp Bridge” of IH10), they found uniformed armed Officers who were convicted FELONS !

leVieux

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Or even crooked cops making stuff up to get the city some extra dough. They know you aren't going to come back and fight it.
    It's not even that. I reluctantly paid a ticket that I'm sure I could have beaten in Louisiana that I did the math and between hiring a lawyer, taking off work, and travelling, there was no way it was worthwhile to fight. SMH.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    <>

leVieux
    Yeah, I'd actually be for more just / fair enforcement, seeing how as I'm a slow-ish Prius driver myself, but I still think my point's valid. I don't call the police on all the cars passing me.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

“Speeding” of others, by itself isn’t a problem for me, unless absurd or in dangerous conditions.

But, driving home from Fayetteville AR last November, I had 3 different drivers “force-in” from the right while I was doing about 80 & passing a truck.

This was not the “squeezing-in” as we used to see, but actually playing chicken at 80+mph.

I’ll get out of anyone’s way, once I’ve cleared traffic, but those idiots are going to kill someone.

Then, i saw an Escalade driver pass some trucks by driving on the grass roadside at over 80mph.

The first 3 had TX plates, despite being well outside Texas.

The ubiquity of “traffic cams”, both permanent & mobile, should take some extremely dangerous drivers off the roads.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I beat one @ Bastrop TX from a DPS spreed trap, but It cost me $1K.

Two much faster pickups just went-on and the DPS stopped me.

I strongly suspect some JP’s in South TX of pocketing the money. I once hired an Attorney for a fine over a tiny technicality. He learned that there was no record of my $300 cash-paid fine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    A surveillance state is rarely a good answer for societal problems. Better enforcement is preferable - especially with an eye toward traffic safety rather than revenue generation.
    Of course, but the problem is increasing rapidly and endangering innocents.

If someone wants to speed w/o endangering me, go ahead. But actually “playing chicken” in order to pass is just too dangerous.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought walking up to a school entrance to get your kids with a holstered pistol was legal as long as you did not cross the threshold into the (unintuitively defined) "Premises."

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought walking up to a school entrance to get your kids with a holstered pistol was legal as long as you did not cross the threshold into the (unintuitively defined) "Premises."

See post 2073.
    A minor change occurred as part of HB1927.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:
    (A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or
    (B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

The AG’s office has an opinion some that one must physically enter a building for the LTC exception to be pierced.

Top Bottom