• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    oh he did specifically ask if I had warrants never been asked that before. I forgot about that part I kind of think he was just bored....

Every time I've been pulled over, (which is a total of 4 time) they've asked me about warrants.

This is just me, but if an officer points a gun at me while legally carrying. Purely because I'm carrying and without any other extemporaneous circumstances.

I'd raise all sorts of administrative hell with the guy at the department.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    well, for those of us who frequent the general area about which you've posted, it would be "nice" if you were more specific - what P.D. and which segment of what FM are you talking about ?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    AKMike, sounds like a position I wouldn't want to be in. Glad things didn't go sideways. Might be worth it to put in a formal complaint so that it is documented. Neer know when an incident will occur from that LEO behavior & procedure that documented history will matter.

I read through the rest of the thread and the thing I'd suggest would be a small change while informing. You said the LEO was at your door before you could pull your ID/CHL/wallet. Totally understand that. I have a tough time reaching for mine too when seated in the truck. Perhaps instead of speaking first, let the LEO go ahead and ask you for your ppw. It gives him the floor and sets him in position of being in control of the stop. Next, before reaching for your wallet, instead of the words "I have a gun" perhaps say "Sir I'm a CHL holder". Let the LEO take it from there. At all times be clear with your statements and movements. Hopefully the LEO doesn't get all "preventative maintenance" and point a gun at you.

Also, you're interacting way too much with the police when you are driving. Stop getting pulled over :roflsmile: (I know you said you were like 2mph over, just giving you a hard time):)

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    AKMike, sounds like a position I wouldn't want to be in. Glad things didn't go sideways. Might be worth it to put in a formal complaint so that it is documented. Neer know when an incident will occur from that LEO behavior & procedure that documented history will matter.

I read through the rest of the thread and the thing I'd suggest would be a small change while informing. You said the LEO was at your door before you could pull your ID/CHL/wallet. Totally understand that. I have a tough time reaching for mine too when seated in the truck. Perhaps instead of speaking first, let the LEO go ahead and ask you for your ppw. It gives him the floor and sets him in position of being in control of the stop. Next, before reaching for your wallet, instead of the words "I have a gun" perhaps say "Sir I'm a CHL holder". Let the LEO take it from there. At all times be clear with your statements and movements. Hopefully the LEO doesn't get all "preventative maintenance" and point a gun at you.

Also, you're interacting way too much with the police when you are driving. Stop getting pulled over :roflsmile: (I know you said you were like 2mph over, just giving you a hard time):)

I don't know what the deal is I've never been pulled over, until the last two months I've been hit twice. I need new glasses pretty badly so maybe that's it. Usually I spot them from a pretty far distance lol.

sent from the bathroom

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I actually went and studied every single years worth of CHL conviction data from DPS going back to 1996 sometime last year. I forget the exact number but, interesting to note is in the entire 18 year history of CHL in Texas, less than ONE HALF OF ONE PERCENT of all CHL holders have ever been convicted of any crime, and a much smaller percentage were ever convicted of any violent crimes. I think the number was like 0.36% or something ridiculous. Anyways, I thought that was pretty interesting.

Provided there isn't more to the story that none of us knows about the LEO in question, such as there being a BOLO or something to affect their outlook, that's definitely totally unreasonable. IMO, I would say that sounds like a serious failure in training and/or a serious lack of self-confidence with that officer.

On another note, I have had my fair share of tickets. I have had more than my fair share, so I am rather experienced in that regard. ;) In fact, at one point I almost lost my license and was on probation because I had so many speeding tickets. In my defense, I pretty much always drive 5-10mph over the speed limit, where it's safe to do so in terms of traffic and road conditions. I do so because I cannot stand pacing traffic. People are stupid, and I feel like if I pace them and just hang around with the flow of traffic, their stupidity will inevitably take me out in a wreck. I never drive wreckless, I just try to drive just fast enough to put a little distance between myself and other cars. Anyways, I rarely ever get tickets anymore. Considering the sheer number of tickets I've had, I have never once been disarmed or had a gun pointed at me during a traffic stop. This includes quite a few tickets in Austin with APD. In my experience, I don't know that I would say behavior like that from an officer is really "commonplace" as I just have not seen that, and the majority of my friends I've talked to have not experienced it themselves either.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    For as often as I have been pulled over, having a chl has only helped me out. The only time an officer has even requested the location of my gun was when he said he "smelled weed".. Something I have never smoked or had in my possession. He asked to search my car, pulled me out, cuffed me and told me to chill on the hood of his car. He went for my pistol first, which was in between the seat and center console, said "badass pistol man", set it aside and searched a bit more before coming back and uncuffing me. Gave me a verbal warning for something I didn't even do.. but we stood there and BS'd about guns for a few minutes. I have had some pretty terrible stops prior to getting my chl. I have also had some bad stops while driving my 96' cougar... Cops don't even look at me anymore in my civic which is awesome.

More on topic though, I asked a trooper friend of mine and he said, based on your account, the officer was WAY out of line, and you should definitely be filing complaints, if not pressing the issue a bit further than that... Nothing that hasn't been said here already...

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Just to drag this out a bit, I'll ask a question (TXI and other LEOs - really interested in hearing your feedback).....

Had the OP felt real uncomfortable handling his firearm in this police officer's presence (or in any stop in which they ask to take your firearm), would it be out of line to say "Officer, no disrespect intended, but for my own safety, I refuse to handle my firearm in an officer's presence - that's just a bad idea. But I understand you have the right to disarm me, so I will more than gladly get out of the car and put my hands on the roof of your car so you can remove my from my waist yourself."

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Just to drag this out a bit, I'll ask a question (TXI and other LEOs - really interested in hearing your feedback).....

Had the OP felt real uncomfortable handling his firearm in this police officer's presence (or in any stop in which they ask to take your firearm), would it be out of line to say "Officer, no disrespect intended, but for my own safety, I refuse to handle my firearm in an officer's presence - that's just a bad idea. But I understand you have the right to disarm me, so I will more than gladly get out of the car and put my hands on the roof of your car so you can remove my from my waist yourself."

This crossed my mind, but I didnt want to say anymore than I needed to

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I think you did good. I have a no questions policy when I am pulled over, but a cop drawing on me and then telling me to handle my weapon is way too '60's bad cop shoots someone for kicks movie for me. I'd advise him I am uncomfortable with that. In any event, a LEO drawing on me is gonna require an immediate meeting at his station with his command staff when he gets through pointing a weapon at me. I have only been stopped once in the last 5 years and that was an HPD La$er Po$$e hiding behind a bush on the 45 frontage road. He wasn't interested in my CHL, weapon, or my phone number, he just wanted to write me for not slowing down fast enough on that stupid, shortassed Crosstimbers exit ramp.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    He walked up before I could get my CHL/License(Im crammed into my truck so its a pain to get my wallet out) and my pistol is on the same side so I put my hands on the wheel and told him I had a CHL my pistols in my holster right by my wallet. would it be alright if I got my CHL/DL out. and he brabbed his pistol and stepped back with it pointed at my door(towards my torso). He told me to slowly grab my pistol and give it to him so i pinched the slide below the rear sight and handed it to him muzzle away from him, and informed him the chambers empty but check it(Remembered I forgot to load one...dumb ass).

He wasnt rude or anything the whole time it was just an odd situation. I figured this wasnt completely normal, but was curious if anyone else had this happen.

That's some total BS. Once I got pulled over near dallas and was wearing coveralls over my jeans. Had my wallet in my jeans back pocket and my handgun in a belt holster on the jeans. He asked for my license like normal and I started with "I'll be happy to, but there's a little issue..." He just about rolled his eyes like he was expecting a tall tale. So I told him about how things were arranged, he asked me to step out, and I slowly pulled off the coveralls then got my wallet (of course narrating and giving him plenty of time to ask me to stop). He didn't so much as put his hand on his gun.

So yeah, a cop putting you directly in danger because you claim to be one of the good guys should earn him a formal reprimand.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    **sigh*** It is not unreasonable for the officer to ask the person to hand the firearm to the officer.

With officers gun drawn?

It is when he is pointing a gun in your face.

No, its not.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a chance in hell I'd reach for a gun if a cop I don't know or trust is pointing his gun at me. I don't care what he tells me to do, I'm not giving him grounds to execute me on the spot.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yep you get it.

There is NFW I am touching a gun when an officer has one pointed at me. Just not going to happen.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    2 cops live in my neighborhood. Tell you what TXI, I'll try and make friends with them. If they don't shoot me or run me over with an MRAP I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried that with the cop that lives around the block from me. He yelled at me about how he's aware of what goes on in his neighborhood and how I should call dispatch if I have trouble. I got the impression that cops aren't allowed to talk with their neighbors.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I tried that with the cop that lives around the block from me. He yelled at me about how he's aware of what goes on in his neighborhood and how I should call dispatch if I have trouble. I got the impression that cops aren't allowed to talk with their neighbors.
    Exact opposite experience with my neighbors who are in LE.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Very informative post. Right or wrong, the likelihood of you being shot and killed by the police increases dramatically the minute you decide to leave your home or property armed. This is a fact, even if the chances of us having such an encounter are relatively low. Don't we arm ourselves in the first place in order to prepare for something that is statistically rare? With that said, I'm sorry to say that this is an "us vs. them" thing, because I'm as worried about this kind of situation as much as being attacked by the random psychopath. As far as I'm concerned, being a CHL holder, both the "good guys" and the bad guys pose a risk to my health.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    He wasnt rude or anything the whole time it was just an odd situation. I figured this wasnt completely normal, but was curious if anyone else had this happen.

He pointed a loaded gun at you (and I bet his finger was on the trigger) without a good reason. That's about as fuckin' rude as it gets, this side of actually pulling said trigger.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    At 3-5 mph over, I don't even tap my brakes and leave the cruise control on as I drive past a cop shooting radar at me. It seems to me that there was some reason other than 3 - 5 over that might have instigated the stop. Or maybe the guy was just a polite idiot and there isn't another side to the story.
    If it's one of the agencies I'm thinking it is, it's not at all unusual to get pulled over for just 3 - 5 over. The area along I-45 from FM 2920 to about Willis is just one long speed trap. There are some small incorporated areas like Shenandoah and Oak Ridge North where the PD exists seemingly for no reason other than traffic stops. They're kinda 'special' - somewhat like Jersey Village cops for those of you familiar with that part of Houston. I'm just surprised that at the end of it all he only got a warning.

Top Bottom