• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I never leave it lying around in the house, it's always in the safe.
    My concern is a human error on my part, that may result with damage. The probability is super low, but so is the probability of the other scenario, so it's all about personal risk management.

Human error in what way. That’s the part i’ve not seen explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    That is what practice is for, to help eliminate error. Dry fire practice the hell out of your gun. Go to the range as much as possible. Any one that has guns needs to teach their kids about guns. In fact everyone in the country should be taught the truth about guns.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think you (and a couple of others that chose to reply seriously) make a strong argument, and I do consider changing my process for some scenarios. With that said, for me, a loaded gun in the house is still too much risk, due to the present of children.

I was raised in a home with 4 sisters and guns present - all loaded, including the one in my room from the age of 12. Now - I'm the first to say that not all kids are capable of being trusted around firearms - but I raised 4, all of which were around loaded guns from the time they were in diapers. I invested the time to teach them - and ensure that the training "stuck". Had I had any concerns, the guns wouldn't have been accessible.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    My concern is a human error on my part, that may result with damage. The probability is super low, but so is the probability of the other scenario, so it's all about personal risk management.
    This is not "risk management". You keep talking "possible risk". Not "probable risk". Don't have a gun and possible risk is gone. As long as you have one, possible risk is there. Suppose you take it out one day because you need it. Chamber a round and accidentally shoot a family member? Probable? No. Possible? Yup, anything is possible.
    What we are talking about is "acceptable risk vs reward vs probable risk". Just like everybody else that argues for no chambered round, you are stuck on what could happen. The truth is, no matter how you carry, keep it stored or handle it, something "could" go wrong. The thing is to mitigate them and continue on.
    Old soldier's advice, my Pop.
    Assume a gun is loaded. It is safe if not touched. Anytime a person touches it there is always the possibility it can be fired. And if fired. Something or someone could die. Always. Anytime a gun is in anyone's hand there is that possibility. Make sure that does not happen unless you intend to shoot. If you do, make sure the first shot counts, you may not get a second. Be respectful of the possibilities, not afraid.
    Risk mitigation through education and risk management are not the same.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Lot of dangerous things in the house kids can hurt or kill themselves with. There are always many guns laying around my house loaded. When my grandkids come over I pick them up because I can't be sure they've been taught properly. That said I still have a loaded carry on me.

I don't buy the "calculating probabilities" line, carry it however you're comfortable, nothing wrong with being scared but at least man up and own it. I carry some pistols with no safety and light triggers, some people are afraid of that too.

Practice and focus until you automatically check every single time you handle a firearm. When someone hands me a firearm, even though I just watched them check it I check it again and I check it once more before I hand it back. Excessive? Probably but in 60 years of gun handling I've never shot anything I didn't mean to.

When I clean a gun I remove all ammo from the area and I STILL check it and point it in a safe direction before I touch the trigger. I drive the same way, like everyone is out to kill me and will do the stupidest thing in the world at any second. All guns are loaded (even if they aren't) treat them that way.

Nothing else to say except an unloaded gun isn't good for much.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013

So as your door is being kicked in you say TIME OUT I have to go unlock my safe. Oh its ok you can diddle Little Johnny while I fumble with the combo take off the trigger lock open the locked ammo cabinet then load a magazine then put the magazine in the gun then chamber a round click off the safety turn on the light put on some eye protection some earplugs change the battery on my red dot as it was in the safe so I did not know they died.

Shrug you do you but when seconds counts minutes cause lots of harm. You might want to consider calling 911 over owning a gun as it seems to dangerous for your feelings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well, it IS more polite than saying:

"If I was going to carry without a round in the chamber, I’d be gay."

:cowboy:

Nope, even this pecker puffer carried one in the chamber.
    IMG_5624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5624.jpg
      IMG_5624.jpg
      207.7 KB · Views: 528

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Do we need a reminder of the 5 rules for gun safety and why they are important?

Starting with all guns are always loaded.

There are other gems in there like not pointing at something you're not willing to destroy and not putting your finger in the trigger guard till you're point it at something you're willing to destroy and ready to destroy it.

The point is guns are inanimate objects. By definition they can't do anything. They are no more or less dangerous than any tool in your garage. They all just sit there but can all kill someone if a person chooses to use them to do so.

If unattended, lock em up. If carried load em up.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Round in the chamber. Not having a round in the chamber presents a time disadvantage, especially if you only have one hand to work with.

It also requires unnecessary administrative handling of the gun, which increases the likelihood of causing a malfunction, but also increases the chance of an ND.

Buy a quality hard shell holster, and have one in the pipe

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Once again gobsmacked by Ben, never heard of such a thing.
    That tech has been around almost 50 years and it works great. Always has.

The tech didn't catch on for several reasons. In the early days, it was expensive and the target market (police) didn't like the fact that it meant your partner couldn't shoot your revolver. Also, the problem it addressed for cops (bad guy takes your gun and shoots you with it) turned out to be much more inexpensively addressed with security holsters and a bit of weapons retention training. Later on, police moved to semi-automatics where there was no analog. Around the same time, even for the few cops who still carried revolvers, the fact that the required magnetic ring(s) would corrupt floppy disks was also a concern.

It was just never the most efficient or economical way to solve the problems it solves. Therefore, I can understand why it never became a popular piece of technology. Still, it perfectly addresses the concerns that the OP has expressed.

As for me, I don't have one but I can imagine multiple scenarios where it would be a perfect solution to a real world problem.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My take is this...

You should maintain YOUR gun in a manner that is safe and most comfortable for YOU. PERIOD.

All guns not on my person in my home are either loaded or not.

All loaded guns are either readily accessible and hidden, or in my safe at the ready, and have a full magazine and an empty chamber.

I carry striker fire guns with a loaded chamber. I didn’t at first.

In the military, when deployed, unless we were outside the wire, our weapons were all in condition 3 (loaded mags, empty chambers), and we had to stop upon entering the base and clear them at the gate.

My thoughts on carry guns are it is ALL a personal choice. Carry the firearm you are comfortable with, in the condition you are most comfortable with, based on your level of competency and confidence.

Folks who say carrying on an empty chamber is like carrying a brick are wrong, because of several reasons, the most obvious being “you can’t turn a brick into a gun.”

1. The odds of you actually needing your concealed carry are extremely rare.

2. The odds of you needing it immediately, at bad breath distance, are even more rare.

3. The majority of the times you may need your firearm, you will have time to draw it and run the slide and turn your brick into a gun.

4. If you are safe and can operate your carry gun, I’d prefer you carry it in with/on an empty chamber rather than not carrying it at all. Again, if needed, it goes from brick to gun in an instant.

5. If you live or work in a bad area where the odds of you needing to draw your gun are higher than average, I suggest you train hard to get to carrying with a loaded chamber...but only when you are confident and feel safe about it.

yes, there are obviously downsides to an empty chamber. But many folks don’t have the proficiency to draw fast and accurate and engage a threat safely...those people are better to take immediate evasive action like run or hide and draw the gun from a safe place.

There are a thousand scenarios I can think of that will play out on either side of this argument in a thousand different ways due to a bunch of variables. No right answer for any of them...

The more you carry and train with your firearm, the more proficient and confident you will become, and you may get to the point where you choose to carry on a loaded chamber.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice...I don’t worry about what others say, who won’t be responsible for MY actions.

It is not the odds. It is the stakes.

If we go by odds, a carry gun is far fron necessary

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Oh well...........
    He must have gotten information overload. I asked what I thought were some decent questions in posts 24, 72, 76, and 79 with zero replies. He must have figured it all out. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom