Votes: 85 84.2%

• Total voters

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I will counter with sometimes they should act like social workers, and not stormtroopers, or SWAT on every call they go on.

There is a time and place for all forms of police presence and the methods they use to enforce the laws, and to do their jobs. There is a time to use finesse, and compassion in the job of interacting within the community and it's residents, just as there is a time when brute force is the right decision to make. They need to understand that they represent the community, and enforce the laws of our society. They work for us, not the other way around.

Personally, I think some of the problem lies in lack of PROPER training, and officers being hired who are not qualified for the job of being in LE to begin with.

Defunding, or dismantling the police departments isn't the answer, but going forth with no reform of those departments isn't the answer either. There needs to be a balance between officers acting like social workers amd being police officers.

Maybe if Chauvin and taken a breath that day, and acted differently, George Fl;oyd might still be alive, and Derek Chauvin might not be sitting in jail charged with murder at this time.

I think it might be too much to ask of a person to be both a social worker and a policeman. We certainly wouldn't ask our heart surgeons to also engineer the software in our computers.

I think we can all agree that police need to tend towards the soldier end of the spectrum if they're going to go home at night to their families after a day of facing down murderers, rapists, crackheads and bank robbers with FA weapons.

More importantly, there is probably also something to be said of having to deal with the scum of society every day (with violence if necessary), getting spit on by scumbags, getting attacked by drunks & crackheads, screamed at every time you pull someone over for a simple traffic stop, shot at just for wearing the uniform. It's going to change the way you look at your fellow man, and that changed outlook is probably not compatible with the outlook we want from our social workers.

I certainly don't have the answers, but I don't know if it's as simple as some "be nicer to people" training. The complexities of dealing with some unknown person on the street, who might have a past criminal history involving, say, armed home invasion, and might love to kill a cop to earn street cred, should not be swept under the rug (not saying you are, just saying that "the national conversation" seems to be).

Also, on the other side, I don't think a bit of training can fix the kind of deep character defect that Derek Chauvin obviously has. Maybe instead of defunding the police what we need to do is spend more, and evaluate them more thoroughly more often, give them more leave and shorter careers, more time behind a desk and away from the "mean streets", etc, etc, etc, to keep them from becoming hardened by the scum they're forced to deal with all too often.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I think it might be too much to ask of a person to be both a social worker and a policeman. We certainly wouldn't ask our heart surgeons to also engineer the software in our computers.

I think we can all agree that police need to tend towards the soldier end of the spectrum if they're going to go home at night to their families after a day of facing down murderers, rapists, crackheads and bank robbers with FA weapons.

More importantly, there is probably also something to be said of having to deal with the scum of society every day (with violence if necessary), getting spit on by scumbags, getting attacked by drunks & crackheads, screamed at every time you pull someone over for a simple traffic stop, shot at just for wearing the uniform. It's going to change the way you look at your fellow man, and that changed outlook is probably not compatible with the outlook we want from our social workers.

I certainly don't have the answers, but I don't know if it's as simple as some "be nicer to people" training. The complexities of dealing with some unknown person on the street, who might have a past criminal history involving, say, armed home invasion, and might love to kill a cop to earn street cred, should not be swept under the rug (not saying you are, just saying that "the national conversation" seems to be).

Also, on the other side, I don't think a bit of training can fix the kind of deep character defect that Derek Chauvin obviously has. Maybe instead of defunding the police what we need to do is spend more, and evaluate them more thoroughly more often, give them more leave and shorter careers, more time behind a desk and away from the "mean streets", etc, etc, etc, to keep them from becoming hardened by the scum they're forced to deal with all too often.
    Actually, policemen in the 70's were policemen and social workers, but there was more respect for them in those days. Everything was not cut and dried the policeman used his noodle.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    These tarded politicians should be wondering who will protect them from us when the cops are gone?
    hammer-and-nail.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• hammer-and-nail.jpg
      hammer-and-nail.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 511

Curtis@1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    I don't think that police departments should be defunded. However, having said that, l'm glad that we get our policing from the Bexar county Sheriff's Department and not SAPD. Just one tax payer's opinion.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I believe there are many police departments that need reform in some form or other, but if politicians are in favor of eliminating police forces, then they should be the first to give up protection from criminal elements.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    These tarded politicians should be wondering who will protect them from us when the cops are gone?

Actually, those neighborhoods are the first ones the police should stop patrolling due to the budget constraints. But in the interest of open records, they should announce on facebook exactly which neighborhoods they will not be patrolling and how long the response times may be as a result.

Actually, policemen in the 70's were policemen and social workers, but there was more respect for them in those days. Everything was not cut and dried the policeman used his noodle.

Police in the 70's were also allowed to shoot people instead of trying to chase them down. Go watch any cop show from the 70's and in every episode, you'll hear someone yell "stop, or I'll shoot", followed by several gun shots. It was part of life back then. Now it's headed back to where it was when Obama was in office fanning the race hate flames with cops getting scared to have any confrontation with a black individual, and instead just respond after the fact to take a report.

So crime goes up so cops don't get any more negative media attention. Cops are getting in trouble for tear gas and rubber bullets today. That's a far cry from stop or I'll shoot.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Agreed. Police militarization makes perfect sense if you expect them to go into crack houses and face down a mob of drug dealers with FA weapons. Funny how nobody is concerned with the lives of police officers and their spouses and children. Remember the North Hollywood shootout? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout Maybe most on this board are too young, but lunatics like that are why the movement to properly arm the police got the political will needed.

If you're happy sending in social workers to apologize to the drug dealers / bank robbers / murderers / rapists and offer them a hug, then I guess you would believe the police don't need any special equipment. But I'd like to ask anyone who is happy sending in those social workers -- what is your plan when those social workers start dying in droves, and you get sued by their families for millions of dollars?

Can you show me where cops are encountering criminals with full auto weapons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    The crux of the matter is what the public demands of the police. If you are talking about armed robbery and organized theft if appears to be an as-demand tactical response. If you are talking about traffic offenses, tactical equipment is not needed. Riots need up-armored bodies (lots of them) with long clubs to psychically control other bodies and minimize bloodshed (the choice is large, strong men to force compliance with clubs, non-lethal bullets and tear gas OR real bullets). Many cities use the police for revenue enhancement (Splendora, Texas; Ferguson, MO ???). Using the police powers for this is a good way to incur deep-seated resentment of all police. Most police are people who get into police work to help people; these people need to be encouraged to stay. There are some who become a police officer to intimidate people; these people should be encouraged to leave it. We need more cops and fewer officers.

I believe that the only thing that is likely to happen is that Minneapolis is going to lose A LOT of trained police officers and the local cities and villages in the area will get a lot of pre-trained officers for little money extra. These idiots in Minneapolis city government are determined to dissolve the police department but the results will not be as they intend. The residents of Minneapolis will get decreased protection from the thugs, gangs and creeps who wander the dark streets of the protected area of town.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Some reform is needed . Chauvin had 18 complaints against him. Not saying they all had merit. However how many complaints would you be allowed to get before you were fired.

Top Bottom