• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimboH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    All of my Glocks are 40s. I have a 9mm barrel and mags that I can switch to when I'm blowing through rounds at the range. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If there is more energy, wouldn't more damage be logical?
    For higher velocity rounds that cause a lot of cavitation, yes. For calibers like 9mm, .40, and .45, etc... energy differences are pretty negligible. Damage is caused by expansion and penetration. Energy can increase both of those, but it's really dependent on bullet selection.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For higher velocity rounds that cause a lot of cavitation, yes. For calibers like 9mm, .40, and .45, etc... energy differences are pretty negligible. Damage is caused by expansion and penetration. Energy can increase both of those, but it's really dependent on bullet selection.

So, using the same bullet, obviously taking caliber into account, .40 should cause more damage, correct?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yep. About 0.045" more damage ;)

The real advantage that .40 has over 9mm is it's heavier, which means it has more momentum and penetrates further.

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    KIND OF off topic but.....i have a M&P 40 as a truck gun. no complaints. carry a kimber covert in 45acp, my go to caliber. since back surgery and shoulder surgery the kimber is getting heavier and heavier (percieved of course) so i find myself carrying less. sometimes i stuff my wifes LCR in my waist but don't like stopping power of a .38. so.......w/out spending hours researching BS advertisements, is there such thing as a lite weight small .40 cal pistol on the market? thanks

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    which would be...???

KAHR- IMG_2002.jpg

Taurus- IMG_2001.JPG

And S&W- IMG_1999.jpg

To name a few.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    which would be...???

I used to own a Glock 27 in .40 with the pinky finger extension, which adds an additional round capacity. It's a nice little subcompact that is easily concealable. I however sold it because it's no fun at all at the range. .40 cal in that little lightweight subcompact is pretty snappy and begins to hurt after just a few rounds. Because of that, I began to anticipate it's recoil and my accuracy with it really began to decline.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I love my G27, and for some strange reason it is almost more accurate than my G23, which had been my EDC for years, but I'm really liking my VP40 alot.

dukebrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Funny I have a STYER in a .40 and 9mm the .40 shoots more accurate despite the kick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

hilldweller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    recently had three well-experienced people tell me how much they like that caliber, and now I am considering it. or maybe just go to carrying heavier grain +p rated ammo in my 9mm instead??

Top Bottom