• CHL: $142.00
      • Range Fee, to qualify for CHL: $11.00
      • Ammunition - 50 rounds of 9mm ammunition, to qualify for CHL: $17.00
      • B-27 Paper Target, to qualify for CHL: $1.00
      • Digital Fingerprinting Service: $10.43
      • Passport Photographs: $10.00
      • Shipping Fees for Application Materials via USPS: $5.75

Total: $2,587.38

You got ripped of on your class. $100 is not bad, but the extra fees for range, targets, fingerprnts, photos, are theft.

Please tell us what Instructor you used so others do not get ripped off.
    Venture Surplus ad

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Well before I go revealing what Instructor I used...

If I understand the CHL process correctly - which I may not - fingerprinting and photos are, as of March 1, 2011, performed by MorphoTrust USA (formerly L-1 Identity Solutions) per the Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 6, Subchapter B, Rule §6.12 (found here). While although the licensee may opt to have their passport photos done elsewhere (Walgreens, for example), the price is the same, maybe varying a dollar or two. And to my knowledge, the fingerprinting cost is unavoidable.

As for the range fee and targets, those prices are controlled by the range; not the CHL course. If each of those individual fees are supposed to be 'all inclusive' in the CHL course cost of $100.00, then that would definitely be a good bargain, but after doing *limited* research on North Texas CHL courses, I found that typically price for the course itself remained about the same, and most courses addressed additional costs such as those outlined here - fingerprinting, passport photos, etc.

Last edited:

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    this guy started with a Kimber CDP and Milt Sparks VMII. i wonder where this hobby (or obsession) will take him in the next few years :p

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    You got ripped of on your class. $100 is not bad, but the extra fees for range, targets, fingerprnts, photos, are theft.

Please tell us what Instructor you used so others do not get ripped off.

Which instructor did you use that offered fingerprints and photos with his class? These days, fingerprints can only be done electronically at approved locations, and only passport photos are accepted.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    My CHL class was $40 IIRC as a special for TTU students/faculty. Included the range fee, targets, and photos. I also didn't have to mail it because he submitted it for us in person.

HarryCallahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Dallas
    9mm, print your own targets, used handgun, crossbreed holster.....

Maybe I should ignore my own experience and trust a guy who has never owned or shot a gun before.

Hey, what's wrong with a crossbreed???? You can buy for name or you can buy for function. If I ever see a guy with electronic ear muffs, why I'd miss my target. He is right on one point, it is expensive no matter what route you go.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This thread is written from the POV of a first-time firearms owner, brand new to guns. I have just purchased my first firearm and completed my CHL course - these are the recorded associated costs for new items with shipping and taxes (where applicable) included.

Firstly, if a person has never shot or owned a gun before (myself), it would be reasonable to assume that shooting one at a gun range would be an appropriate first step. Here are the associated fees for a first-time visit to a gun range (I wear eyeglasses and brought ear-plugs, so I was not charged for vision/hearing items):

• Range Fee: $20.00
    • Ammunition - 100 rounds of .45 ACP ($23.95/box X2 boxes): $47.90
    • Rental Gun: $5.00
    • Two Paper Targets ($1 ea.): $2.00

Total: $74.90

Secondly, a person decides on a gun they want to own. Clearly, this decision and the associated ammunition - as well as the quantity - are subjective. Thirdly, providing the person wants to carry the firearm legally on their person, they need to attend a CHL course and get their CHL. These were my associated fees for this process:

• Firearm - 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP II .45: $1,267.30
    • Ammunition - 1,500 rounds of .45 ACP: $775.40
    • Ammunition Storage Box: $20.00
    • Holster - Milt Sparks Versa Max II, w/ clips: $178.33
    • Headphones - Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs: $49.17
    • CHL Course: $100.00
    • CHL: $142.00
      • Range Fee, to qualify for CHL: $11.00
      • Ammunition - 50 rounds of 9mm ammunition, to qualify for CHL: $17.00
      • B-27 Paper Target, to qualify for CHL: $1.00
      • Digital Fingerprinting Service: $10.43
      • Passport Photographs: $10.00
      • Shipping Fees for Application Materials via USPS: $5.75

Total: $2,587.38

Grand Total: $2,662.28

Bold black text - Why did you have to by 9mm ammo if you bought a .45acp firearm for carry and 1500 rounds of 45acp ammo?

Bold blue text
    - A CHL course usually includes all these fees rolled into one price. I suppose that depends on how well a CHL instructor is connected with a local range/gun shop establishment. You shouldn't have had to pay for the range time & targets IMO. But like I said, I think it depends on your instructor. IMO $100 is on high side if it doesn't cover your range time & targets.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    The Price of Owning a Handgun & CHL in the State of TX

Which instructor did you use that offered fingerprints and photos with his class? These days, fingerprints can only be done electronically at approved locations, and only passport photos are accepted.

I used my drivers license picture. No passport pic required. I finally got my chl in February. Unless something has changed between now and then.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    OP,

Using your figures, the cost of a CHL is
    Class $100
    Range fee for quals #11
    Target $1
    License $140
    Rental gun and ammo (9mm) $22

Total $172

Now for the rest. You chose to spend that much. There are less expensive quality 1911s out there. There are copies of the Sparks VMII for a lot less out there. Ammo is expendable, $775.

You don't have to buy a Corvette for a first car. A Chevy Impala will get you there.

doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    Dang, you could have saved a ton of money if you had just asked my wife what that stuff should. We've been married 40 years in December and she's got a great memory. She can quote prices on guns from back in the '70's, and I know she would proudly describe my latest kimber that I bought 'gently used' for $75 or so.

And the rest of you yard birds should be a bit more discreet with what you paid for your guns, my wife sometimes sees this site if I forget to close the browser and she's libel to think y'all aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer for overpaying like you do.

Top Bottom