• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.

If you were ever in the infantry you'd understand.

I have worked in industries where you must wear a lot of heavy gear all day long. Climbing to heights. Maybe not as much weight as an in infantry. But the guy defending his home will not be carrying everything an infantryman does either. Likely just the rifle, so I don't think your point is valid in this particular instance.
    Target Sports

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My point was not just the weight so much as the length. Much of what I'm seeing posted here sounds like a SHTF situation, in that case have plenty of guns of all sizes at the ready.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Both.
    Field of Fire open and smooth to 400meters.
    Advance lanes have multiple punji stake pits.
    Firing slits closable. Ammo at each.
    Foo gas barrels primed.
    I refer to it as my E-Maginot Line.
    Have you been watching for infiltrators pacing off the distance between the commo bunker and the team house?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Want to keep folks off your property put up this sign at every point of entrance or access: "Game cameras in use". I also have several dummy cameras in clear and open view of all my gates, pointed at my gates. I don't have 'No Trespassing' signs up because in my opinion they are nothing but a 'welcome' sign. I also have one sign that says: 'This gate locked for your protection, not mine.'
    I figure human heads on pikes would work too!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This has been a fun exercise and a learning one too. Glad I am not the only one to overthink this and I appreciate the info and especially like Ole Cowboy's perspective and setup. I ran this issue past another local around here and he said he had a vehicle barrier that he could slip into place behind his cattle gate given 15 minutes and the forks on his tractor. That means anyone coming in would have to cross 400 yards of open space with no cover. He suggested an AR15 with a bump stock and a 100 rd mag so you could spray an unholy amount of lead in the general direction of any intruders and that should send them running. If not, then he plans on using a 30-06 with good optics to pick off as many as possible with the realization that once they get close you are pretty much toast anyway.

Interesting how different people view this issue.

If you have a spare 45mins... I highly recommend this podcast. Great info here. Rex is legit and knows his stuff. He has some good food for thought on your questions...

Last edited:

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    First, I am 71 and once - a long, long, long time ago - I took a little tour of the world, courtesy of the United States Army, that included West Germany, then Sunny Southeast Asia. I wasn't a combat vet in Vietnam, although my time was all in-country. We were issued M14s in West Germany and M16A1s in Vietnam; I like both. The M16 gets a bad rap for its small caliber and over-penetration but it used FMJ bullets. You are not a signatory of the Hague Convention, so you can use good, high-velocity soft nose or JHP rounds. They work fine on human targets. Use them.

Dealing with reality, your concern is that bad guys will target an elderly male (or couple) who lives in the country and away from neighbors. Get to know your neighbors; they can provide support and firepower if you are targeted as you provide support for them.

Next, harden your perimeter. Heavier gates, an alarm on your gate or a device that warns you when someone enters your gate unauthorized, a powered gate (expensive), an entry communications system between the front gate and house (necessary) and game cameras (real and fake, great idea) scattered around the site are all usable. During the day, most people will ignore you. The most traffic you will have is either the mailman or the UPS driver. At night, you just have to make entry difficult, not impossible, like multiple secured gates on your access road. What you have to do is has something that will create a lot of noise and delay, something that bad guys hate (such as a local alarm on any gates, as long as it is loud). The noise must be loud enough to wake you up and allow you to respond to the disturbance. You must wake out of a sound sleep and possibly respond to violence with violence. This is very hard to do. You may have to kill someone and this is even harder to do. If you harden your outer perimeter, you delay entry and discourage the bad guys. If a bad guy has get out and back into his vehicle several times to open multiple gates or crash through those gates, it causes delay to get to your house and this is good. The gates don't even need to be locked, just secured. Don't forget to secure your house perimeter with solid doors and windows and keep a good dog that barks at the approach of visitors. A very loud or monitored alarm system is also a good investment. "No Trespassing" signs are useful to warn others to stay out and give you some measure of legal protection (not much, just some) in case of intruders.

As for guns, the guns you have will serve you well but - if you want more - an AR-15, AK-47 or Ruger Mini-14, modified as you chose to make you comfortable and confident with it, is mostly all you need. If you want a scope, I recommend use of a prism-type with no more than 3x optic. KISS. This is your house perimeter defense long gun; you need enough power to hurt the bad guys and discourage them with enough firepower (i.e., three to six loaded 30-round magazines; remember, you have only yourself initially).

One point, law enforcement tends to frown to firing upon people who are not an immediate threat to you, so shooting at someone over 100 yards away will almost certainly get you a trip to the county lock-up and a date with a judge and your lawyer.

For your house, an AR-15 pistol (I like my mine in .300 Blackout (subsonic rounds)) with weapons light and laser will work well as does any good quality 9x19 mm, .40 S&W or .357 Sig handgun with high-capacity magazines and weapons light.

For the most part, people will leave you alone in the country. Thieves will want to steal when no one is around, not when someone will be there. They don't want to get shot either.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Here are some tips from living out side the city limits.

Alarm system: Guinea Fowl, skip everything else. They roost in trees and you can find a lot of country homes have them around the house. They serve a lot of purposes. Little worry of snakes, bugs, as they eat them. Feed them once a day and they will do the rest. ANYTHING that moves in you yard after dark will be noticed and they will let you with their loud and distinct sound. In fact they are known as the best security system you can buy. We always had them around our home and trust me they will make so much noise it will run anyone off.

Fortification, hardening etc: It has to be done so as not to be noticed. Think like you are a roving band of guys its post-shtf and you are looking for food, guns, ammo or just about anything that can better your lot. As you travel you scout out various places with an eye towards is it worth my time and effort to engage this location. Any significant signs of hardening that are visible only sends a message you got something to hide and are prepared to defend yourself. Which screams that you got stuff and a lot of and your place could be a real prize for them in both resources and as a place to setup and work from.

What you want if for some to look up there, shrug shoulders and say just another farm/ranch house, nothing special, prob nothing to see there lets move on. That is the reason I do not have any "No Trespassing" signs. The guy that recently bought a place adjacent to mine, first thing he did was throw up No Trespassing signs all over his fences...he got robbed, the people that lived there had been there for 32 years and never robbed. He was asking me if I had any suggestions, he was new in the area and I sure, get signs saying 'game cameras in use".

Here is the 'take away': I don't care what you do, you will not keep out a determined foe!!!! If you think you can read this:
    Siege of Masada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Masada

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Here are some tips from living out side the city limits.

Alarm system: Guinea Fowl, skip everything else. They roost in trees and you can find a lot of country homes have them around the house. They serve a lot of purposes. Little worry of snakes, bugs, as they eat them. Feed them once a day and they will do the rest. ANYTHING that moves in you yard after dark will be noticed and they will let you with their loud and distinct sound. In fact they are known as the best security system you can buy. We always had them around our home and trust me they will make so much noise it will run anyone off.
    Noisy bastards, I hear them everyday out where I live.

Top Bottom