• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, despite the weather I took a quick jaunt down to A Place To Shoot just to check it out. It is only 20 minutes or so from where I work, but in the opposite direction from where I live. It is definitely geared towards hunters, mostly non-mil-surp rifles and shotguns and everyone in hunting garb. The five or six guys in there were barely friendly, said 'hi' but pretty much ignored me while I looked around. There really wasn't much to look at, more than Lock-N-Load over on Potranco but nothing close to the Powderhorn, Dury's or Nagel's. The range actually looked decent from what I could see from inside, with this rain there as no way I was going to walk outside to get a better look. Otherwise, there wasn't anything there to attract me back. One last note though, if you're a reloader than you might want to check it out, they seemed to have a lot of the stuff there to reload but since I don't I really didn't know what was what.

On a side note, while I would agree that Texas Guns is way overpriced, I have to admit they have had guns that interested me that I could not find anywhere else and I have bought a mil-surp rifle from them. Yes, had I been patient I may have paid a lot less; but I found exactly what I was looking for and hadn't see anywhere else. I certainly wouldn't recommend if for anyone looking for a deal, but for certain firearms they are worth checking out if only for their selection. Just be sure to bring along more money then you would normally expect to pay...

Cheers! M2

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    Not really a shop, but if you want an AR then I recommend talking to Alex at Dreadnaught Industries on 16 south of 1604. He has built guns for several friends of mine and can get you a custom rifle at a great price (sometimes the same as an off-the-shelf one at Academy). Alex is military, very knowledgeable and has a lot of military customers, and he's also an active competitive shooter (and a pretty good one to boot!). Plus, he's just a really great guy!

Cheers! M2
    That's some good info, i'll have to check them out.
    Just in case you didnt get that... STAY AWAY FROM TEXAS GUNS in BANDERA RD!!!!
    There are two things I will never do. I will never buy a gun/acces. from TEXAS GUNS & 2) I will never buy a gun/access from NAGELS.

EVER.

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    1. The Powderhorn: Great people there. Prices not to bad.
    2. Hoguns:(if you can make it through Wayne's friends blocking th counter) they got some really good prices.
    3. Durys: Good selection along with a lifetime warranty they offer on their guns.

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    LOL. I figured that one of ya might be on here. But I just told myself that the odds of that happening was to great. Busted. :) You got to admit though that its a small area near the front counter. The first time I went in there It was a little intimidating walking into a new gun store and have like 5 guys sitting there stare at you. But while I was waiting for Wayne i did hear a couple of good stories.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Not really a shop, but if you want an AR then I recommend talking to Alex at Dreadnaught Industries on 16 south of 1604. He has built guns for several friends of mine and can get you a custom rifle at a great price (sometimes the same as an off-the-shelf one at Academy). Alex is military, very knowledgeable and has a lot of military customers, and he's also an active competitive shooter (and a pretty good one to boot!). Plus, he's just a really great guy!

Cheers! M2
    +1 for Alex....great guy

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    Oh, heck - no problem! Ah jest figgered it was too good a return shot ta pass up! An' yeah - I hear you on the intimidatin' part!

Its just a good friend of mine I work with told me about Hoguns. So I wanted to go check it out. Most of the time when I go to a gun shop I get judged on the clothes I wear and not by the person I am. So I get ignored or treated like shit alot. I am not saying that I dress like a gangster thug, It just that I wear what I feel like wearing. One day I might go visit a shop wearing baggy jeans a t-shirt and my nikes. The next day my mossy oak cap wranglers and my work boots.

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    Heya all, I made a Google Map with all the stores and also converted it to Garmin GPX and exported a KML file which I think you can import either to other apps. I uploaded it to my Garmin and they all show up under "Favorites".

They should be attached here in a ZIP file when I post this, the forum doesn't seem to like them individually.

Attachments

• SanAntonioTexasGu.jpg
      SanAntonioTexasGu.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 176

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    So here are some initial impressions from an out-of-towner who hit a few of these shops, and the order I did it.

Nagels - I liked it, a lot. This is my kind of gun shop - stuff everywhere, every time you glance somewhere there's another thing you didn't see. Talked with a shorter fella with a mustache & glasses and arm tattoo, lil older and we chatted on about all sorts of things (CZs, LCRs, the new Taurus 709, etc.). He then intro'd me to a fella with black curly hair at the knife counter (I may have heard him say Mr. Nagel?) and we talked USPSA/IDPA and shooting clubs for a long while, I then spent a lot of time oggling the Spyderco collection (I'm a fan, and the "viking" younger fella said it was the largest in the US). I've never seen so many uncommon variants in one place, it was pure gold. They have a great stock of all the sorts of things I like (they had the most CZs of anywhere, and a little old S&W M64 3", etc).

Dury's - this wasn't really my kind of store, only because it's sort of... clean and generic-y Walmart fresh. :) The fellows were nice enough, chatted about safes for the car with one guy in the back a bit. The gal at the counter (the "Queen" on her badge :) ) was very nice, I was buying a little pocket holster for my 642. I didn't like the whole intercom thing ("xxxx, call on line YYY") and it was a bit bright for my likes. Not a bad shop and a good selection of the Glock/SA/HK type firearms mostly, but of course lots of goodies.

Powderhorn - nice selection of used stuff, not a lot of overall inventory like the other stores but they had some good items here and there. I think their prices were the best of all the places I visited, I used the Ruger LCR at each shop as my comparison item. Their prices were right in line with what I was used to back at the old home for this LCR at the local store that had the lowest prices in town (about $460). The other shops were up around $519 for this same gun across the board. I talked for awhile with a nice fella with a white beard about stuff, and he told me about Don's and we got into a little gunsmithing talk and he let me know they have a good gunsmith there and Don is good (I have a S&W 627 PC that I need the charge holes chamfered on). They were all talking to a young fella who brought back a night vision scope from Afghanistan and discussing how it could mount on this... Drugunov? he had.

Hoguns - my only bad review, I will not step foot in there again. The selection is kinda small but they had some off the wall items that I like (old Butler Creek revolver grips, for instance) but I went in around 5pmish and "the boys" were having a beer, seemed like a weekly thing. No problem here, kinda cool - except the overt, nasty and pervasive anti-Mexican racism that damn near came out of the mouth of every guy there. The fella who talked to me briefly from behind the counter wasn't rude, but didn't seem to give a crap about helping a possible customer. For the record I'm just some average looking late 30's white guy with a beard and generic clothes - I can only imagine what it'd a been like if I had any non-Euro features. This shop goes on my ban list for life.

Bass Pro Shops - ok just wow, whomever recommended this earlier you get +10 points. :) That store is sweet - HUGE, Texas style. I spent forever in the camping section, poking around the fishing and they have a great selection of guns at "normal" prices compared to the other stores (except Powderhorn). Few people in here so I could play with anything - kinda the same kind of selection as Dury's. But the enjoyment came from the whole store, I left with a pair of Realtree(tm) camo slippers from the clearance shelf because I was looking for some (new house is chilly in the am).

I didn't make it to the others yet (Don's, a Place to Shoot, Academy, Sports Authority, Wetmore SS or Texas Guns) but they're on the list.

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    Quick nerd update -- attached is an updated ZIP file with not only a better GPX file (for you TomTom guys :) ) but also a Garmin Points of Interest .gpi file -- you drop the GPI file into your \Garmin\poi\ folder (make it if it's not there) on either the Garmin device or the SD card, not POILoader software needed (so you can use Windows, Mac or Linux - I use Linux). This POI gpi file shows up on my NUVI 1200 under Extras -> Custom POIs -> San Antonio Gun Shops. The update has the street names and phone numbers embedded in it in case you need to call for hours of operation or check stock while on the road. :)

Attachments

• SAGunShopsGPS..jpg
      SAGunShopsGPS..jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 201

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hoguns - my only bad review, I will not step foot in there again. The selection is kinda small but they had some off the wall items that I like (old Butler Creek revolver grips, for instance) but I went in around 5pmish and "the boys" were having a beer, seemed like a weekly thing. No problem here, kinda cool - except the overt, nasty and pervasive anti-Mexican racism that damn near came out of the mouth of every guy there. The fella who talked to me briefly from behind the counter wasn't rude, but didn't seem to give a crap about helping a possible customer. For the record I'm just some average looking late 30's white guy with a beard and generic clothes - I can only imagine what it'd a been like if I had any non-Euro features. This shop goes on my ban list for life.
    I promise I will never step foot nor spend one $ in that place.

I found the complete opposite of your review on Nagels. to me it seems like a filthy old house that the owner has a hoarding problem and should be on that reality show. Tons of guns is awesome, but throw in the mix of overpricing and holy than thow attitudes from people that call themselves "captain"? give me a break. Unfortunately I spent over $1g on my one and only purchase and will never do that ever agan. I promise.

TheTomcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    In 2009 I purchased 7 handguns and a rifle. All at pawnshops except for 2 handguns.

Nagels- I have purchased 2 pistols there in the last month. One new and one used. I felt like I got a deal on both. And they have all the ammo you could want. I agree that they do have some high prices on various things, but all in all it has been a good experience. I will go back there. The inventory on both new and used guns is incredible. You can find whatever you are looking for.

Hoguns- Never made a purchase there. The only time I stopped in (about a year ago) I asked advice about a pistol I had recently purchased and even though I was the only customer in the store the guy behind the counter (got the inpression he was the owner) didn't have the time of day for me. Gun prices were outrageous even on used guns. Won't be going back there.

Dury's- Good reputation locally, but I didn't like the set up. Also the prices were really high on everything from holsters (which were limited) to guns. I hear they do have an excellent gunsmith though. It's a long way oput of the way for me so I don't go there often. Nice people the few times I have been there and seemed kowledable.

Texas Guns- AVOID AT ALL COSTS. These are the rudest people I have come across. Prices are rediculous and inventory is small.

Powderhorn- Great for off the wall items. Used gun prices aren't bad. Inventory is decent and the people are nice. I did purchase a Ruger 10/22 there about 5 years ago new and at a better price than Wal-Mart. I have also purchased ammo there several times at good prices.

Academy- Great prices on guns and the limited amount of ammo they carry. They seem to always have a special on one gun or another. I have bought 5 handguns a rifle and 2 shotguns there in the past couple years. For hunting weapons and ammo they are great. Every store seems to have a different gun inventory though. I like the one near Rogers Ranch on 1604 best.

Bass Pro- Good selection and friendly staff especially if you just want to wander around and kill time for a while. I have only purchased ammo there. The gun prices are average. Biggest problem is what I mentioned earlier. Too many window shoppers. You have to take a number at the counter and if you watch there may only be one person actually purchasing anything. Like I said I am one of the offenders.

Pawnshops- Best places to buy used guns in San Antonio. Very few carry ammo or accessories, but the used gun prices are great and they will haggle. I have 4 that I stop in on a regular basis and even call me if they get something in that they know I am looking for. USUALLY friendly staff, and if they arent I ask for the manager and it's handled. They also have no interest layaway for those large purchases or if you are trying to hide it from the wife.:) No I won't tell you my favorite ones it took me years to find them. Just go around a find the ones you like.

These are all the gun shops I have been to.

Top Bottom