• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, I've been out in the rain all night with no sleep.

If I did coke I wouldn't feel tired right now and would probably make more money cause I could keep on working through the day.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    People who claim legalizing drugs will create new drug addicts who would have never tried them if they were illegal are making the hilariously ignorant claim that people only do the right thing with their lives because the government tells them to.

Legal or not, the amount of people who want to ruin their lives or slowly kill themselves will remain pretty much the same, and you don't need illegal drugs for either of those.

Legalize them all and help nature take its course.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    People who claim legalizing drugs will create new drug addicts who would have never tried them if they were illegal are making the hilariously ignorant claim that people only do the right thing with their lives because the government tells them to.

Legal or not, the amount of people who want to ruin their lives or slowly kill themselves will remain pretty much the same, and you don't need illegal drugs for either of those.

Legalize them all and help nature take its course.

I completely agree with this.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Questions for those who have direct experience with people ruining their lives with drugs, yet still maintain drugs should remain illegal:

How much more illegal should they have been to stop your friends/family members from using them? Torture? Death penalty? Double secret probation?

Did their illegal status do ANYTHING to stop your friends/family from using them? Did their drug-related convictions help them? If so, is this typical, or were your friends/family exceptional?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ok - I'll bite. Good questions too.

My brother in law is a mess. He's been in and out of rehab many, many times. Kicked out of halfway houses, gotten beaten to a pulp multiple times in Mexico, shredded his family emotionally. Spent plenty of jail time. Stolen plenty of his family's things to support his habit. So I think he qualifies as someone who's ruined his life.

To your questions:
    How much - absolutely none. He would have done it no matter the consequences.
    Illegal - hell no - wouldn't have stopped him one bit. His convictions just let him find more sources.

Here's a question for you though. Would it have changed anything if it were legal? He'd not change his behavior one bit. He'd still be stealing things and thrown into jail for burglary instead of possession.

I'm actually kind of on the fence about this, but if people are going to ruin their lives, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. They will figure out some way to get them.

I wonder if drugs were legal in the US, what would change in Mexico?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    He'd still be stealing things and thrown into jail for burglary instead of possession.

Which is another thing- people say drugs need to be illegal because they make people do bad things. Well, anything that is truly malum en se is already covered by other laws. In other words- any bad things a drug addict can do to other people are already illegal. Yet another reason why simple possession laws are pointless (except to extend the power and control of the government).

I know guys who are still long-time addicts. I know guys who were and got clean. The legal status of their chosen poison has nothing to do with their decision to start using, continue to use, or quit drugs.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know several people right now who do not smoke pot or take drugs simply because of it's illegality.

I also get that people who take drugs were not affected by the law.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I know several people right now who do not smoke pot or take drugs simply because of it's illegality.
    I know folks like that, too. They have enough self-discipline to abstain even though the stuff is available and their chances of getting caught, realistically, are low.

I am of the opinion that people in that category would, if (some) drugs were legalized, use their chemical recreation responsibly, without doing bad things to society or harming themselves too much.

Do you share that opinion? Or do you believe that it's, somehow, a bad thing that those people would start smoking if pot were legalized?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Which is another thing- people say drugs need to be illegal because they make people do bad things. Well, anything that is truly malum en se is already covered by other laws. In other words- any bad things a drug addict can do to other people are already illegal. Yet another reason why simple possession laws are pointless (except to extend the power and control of the government).

I know guys who are still long-time addicts. I know guys who were and got clean. The legal status of their chosen poison has nothing to do with their decision to start using, continue to use, or quit drugs.

True dat. I completely agree with you. Life choices have absolutely nothing to do with laws - for some people. I would think that some people who have jobs dependent on drug testing would hesitate about partaking.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Forbidden fruit?
    Maybe at first. Ya either like it or ya don't.
    Some like it, some hate it, some are indifferent.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I saw a funny meme the other day which read, "We have to ban all guns so nobody will get shot. That's how we stopped everyone from using drugs."

Anyone seeing the logic fail in there? Now is anyone seeing how that works both ways? We all laugh at the hippies who don't realize banning guns will accomplish nothing in stopping crime. Now it's time to laugh at ourselves for not realizing banning drugs does the same amount of jack shit.

People who advocate light gun laws but hard drug laws:

1314029819767.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom