Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need plumbing help - shower diverter valve (?)

Our showers have the single handle setup where you rotate it from off, full cold, hot/cold mix, then full hot. For some reason I get only a trickle of hot water coming out of the faucet in one of the showers. The hot side of the sink, on the same line as the shower, works fine. Either something's blocking the section of pipe going to the shower, or maybe the valve's bad, or - I dunno. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a leak - everything seems fine in the closet behind the shower. Here are a couple of pics I took during construction - any ideas?

If the 2nd Amendment was only intended to apply to 18th-century weapons, then the 1st Amendment only protects printing presses and quill pens.

Re: Need plumbing help - shower diverter valve (?)

There is usually a scald protection device in the single knob assemblies behind the center cap of the knob. That will have to be adjusted to allow more hot water into the flow. This may vary depending on the brand if control assembly though.
    Nitromethanol and Spent Gunpowder....best two smells in the world

:fighting0010::fighting0002:

Picturr of current knob would help.

Here it is - it's a Moen faucet:

Attachment 13186
    If the 2nd Amendment was only intended to apply to 18th-century weapons, then the 1st Amendment only protects printing presses and quill pens.

It should be the same concept. The adjustment should be behind center of knob.

Here is a link to what looks like your faucet. There is a pdf you can download.download

Step 12 looks like what you need to do.

Sorry so short on walkthrough but am using phone for this.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelfather View Post
    Step 12 looks like what you need to do.

Sorry so short on walkthrough but am using phone for this.
    Thanks for the info! I'll read up on this and maybe tackle it tomorrow. As far as I can tell there aren't any cutoffs for the shower, so I'll have to turn it off for the whole house to mess with it. :-/

Thanks again... :happy0001:

Not sure on that. My delta let me do it eithout turning off the water. I will check it out closer on my computer at home.

looking at it on my laptop, it doesn't look like you need to access the control valve. Just follow this and you "should" be okay. Follow at own risk. I am not a certified plumber but I play one on TV and at home.

1)Locate the nut on the base of the Moen shower handle. Loosen and remove the screw with an Allen wrench. Lift off the faucet handle to reveal the stem and the temperature dial.

2)Adjust the dial on the front of the stem with your fingers, either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on how you want to adjust the temperature. Turning the dial clockwise will raise the temperature, and moving it counterclockwise will decrease the water temperature.

3)Position the handle back on the stem. Secure the handle by tightening the nut with an Allen wrench by turning it in a clockwise direction.

Finally got around to trying this, but no luck. Re-orienting the ring didn't get it, and it didn't look broken. I tried removing the ring and using pliers to turn the valve all the way around, but the cold side was still the only one that worked. My guess at this point is that something's stuck in there on the hot side and blocking the flow. The 'pain in the ass' meter is reading higher now... <sigh> Fortunately that shower is seldom used, so I can manage to wait a while to get it fixed unless there are other DIY ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast