• jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Uh, no.

To lower the point of impact, the front sight needs to be raised.
    Or lower the rear sight if possible.
    But really, depending on the caliber, I would just set the windage as close as possible and shoot it at 100 yards and see what corrections need to be set and go from there.

If you are already on paper, you are past the point of a bore sight being any use.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Or lower the rear sight if possible.
    Of course. But since he had already said:
    No adjustments left on rear sights.
    ...I didn't bother to comment on moving the rear sight.

Now, if somebody is moving either sight in the wrong direction, I'm never surprised to see them run out of adjustment before they can get a zero. I'm sure that's not happening here. :)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a great after the range story. Years ago I promised the wife we would go to Gihooleys for oysters after we went to the range.
    https://www.travelchannel.com/videos/gilhooleys-oyster-bar-0197025
    At the range a buddy of mine is there sighting in a scope on his rifle. After it's sighted in he ask the wife if she wanted to shoot it. Just before she squeezes the trigger I tried to stop her because of her head in relation to the scope. Needs to say she gets a decent cut & starts bleeding like head gashes tend to. My first response was to put presume on it to stop the bleeding as she had a white top on.

Finally her head stops bleeding, but she got a black eye forming with a good amount of blood on her shirt. She asks me if we are still going for oysters, because of the way she looks. I'm tell her she looks fine to me as I'm going to be eating more then looking @ her anyway.

We need gas & I want lots tickets so we stop @ a truck stop type station & I send her in to pay for the gas & lottos. Seems a few good old boys checking my wife out figured I had to have busted her eye. So they are asking her if I did that because they could tune me up for her. She explained that them tuning me up would result in them getting shot & the whole scoped rifle story.

Not a sole said shit at Gihooley's about her busted up eye & bloody shirt.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Ah, the scope gash. And by that I mean the cut to the eyebrow. We all have one, LOL. Except my wife, I warned her beforehand because I'm trying to be a nicer person than the people who taught me how to shoot.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Oh, can't forget the guy who wants to shoot skeet with his judge, or the guy who thinks the skeet range is an acceptable place to see if your shotgun will work with slugs

Had some guy and his girlfriend/wife shooting their new KSG, without sights obviously, and they weren't hitting the steel poppers we had. He was obviously getting agitated, so i tried to explain why he wasnt hitting anything, but he wasn't having it. I finally got through to him after a bit.

Another guy with a rusty AR, thing went full auto. Turns out the disconnecter spring was missing.

Seen 2 cases of stores selling a .300blk AR and 5.56 ammo. Haven't seen the reverse yet. In defense of the last group, it took me a good minute with a flashlight to find the barrel markings.

People with flinches so bad they are hitting the ground at less than 7 yards.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    People with flinches so bad they are hitting the ground at less than 7 yards.
    Oh, thanks for the reminder. I can remember decades ago at Carter Country, back when they had first put up the short-range chicken wire on the pistol line, a group of people put up targets at 7 yards. It had been raining heavily. With every shot, they were throwing up huge splashes of mud and water about 5 yards in front of their feet.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Guys who show up in a plate carrier, minus plates, and pouches in the most nonsensical places possible

One time a few years ago, had a group of guys shooting a G17. They weren't exactly "experienced shooters". They load the mag into the gun, but can't get the slide back. I walk up and start helping them. For the life of me i can't get the slide open, and the trigger feels like it's 100lbs. After wrestling with it, I finally pull the trigger and get the slide back a bit to disassemble it, and out comes a rather good sized allen wrench. Near as I can tell it was resting behind and on top of the trigger bar.

It's easily my favorite malfunction/failure I've ever seen.

Guys that show up on the weekend and sit and shoot where they aren't supposed to because they don't like shooting next to other people, even if its a guy with a .22lr 6 benches away, just because they don't like loud noises.

People who try to shoot at animals on the range. Yes, theres a bird 3 feet away from your target. No its not okay to shoot it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    People who try to shoot at animals on the range. Yes, theres a bird 3 feet away from your target. No its not okay to shoot it.
    Every decent benchrest shooter I know has splattered a fly if it crawled across their 100-yard practice target. The better than decent ones do it at 200 yards. The temptation is just too much.

Can we make an exception for them? :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Guys who show up in a plate carrier, minus plates, and pouches in the most nonsensical places possible

One time a few years ago, had a group of guys shooting a G17. They weren't exactly "experienced shooters". They load the mag into the gun, but can't get the slide back. I walk up and start helping them. For the life of me i can't get the slide open, and the trigger feels like it's 100lbs. After wrestling with it, I finally pull the trigger and get the slide back a bit to disassemble it, and out comes a rather good sized allen wrench. Near as I can tell it was resting behind and on top of the trigger bar.

It's easily my favorite malfunction/failure I've ever seen.

Guys that show up on the weekend and sit and shoot where they aren't supposed to because they don't like shooting next to other people, even if its a guy with a .22lr 6 benches away, just because they don't like loud noises.

Sparrow or buzzard?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Every decent benchrest shooter I know has splattered a fly if it crawled across their 100-yard practice target. The better than decent ones do it at 200 yards. The temptation is just too much.

Can we make an exception for them? :)

Yeah, kill all the flys you want.

Top Bottom