Not open for further replies.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    "Steven Seagal is a traitor to decency And should be stripped of his US citizenship."

I've not kept up deeply with what is going on in Ukraine, and certainly am not a fan of seagal. Can you explain what you mean?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Adding countries to NATO that are of no value to us is a liability, and one that may very well contribute to the recruiting issues our military faces.
    So you just reach into your ass and pull out an excuse that has no basis in reality when there are actual reasons not to admit them or admit them now?

Nice. I'm sure every teen to 20 something who is considering joining the military is considering Ukraine joining nato as a point of emphasis in their decision.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    China doesn't have the maritime ability to physically invade Taiwan
    Actually they have been making lots of their version of LSTs recently.
    More targets for the Taiwan military.
    It would be a bloodbath, but the Chicoms would probably prevail in the end because of sheer numbers even though the Nationalist Chinese in Taiwan have been preparing to defend the island for 70+ years with our help.
    Saw it first hand when I lived in Taipei during the late 1950s.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Let's see what bull shit havok 1 creates out of thin air today.

Oh ya the military is having trouble with recruitment goals cause 17 year Olds all over America aren't joining cause Ukraine may join nato at some point in the future.

Seems legit. I'm sure it part of the equation in some gamer fantasy Sim world he created but not in real life.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    So for those in this thread who do not know, NATO countries are supposed to spend 2% of GDP on defense. Over 2/3 of NATO members are not meeting that requirement, and Sweden is not meeting it either. I’d be surprised if any of the NATO lovers here could name all of the countries or point to them on a map, or explain in a way that sounds reasonable why we should owe it to them to commit our money and military to the defense of nations that don’t take their own defense seriously. Trump got a lot of pushback when he started calling out NATO countries for not pulling their weight. I know everyone went to school and learned about how great NATO was, but over the years it has become the defense equivalent of welfare.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So for those in this thread who do not know, NATO countries are supposed to spend 2% of GDP on defense. Over 2/3 of NATO members are not meeting that requirement, and Sweden is not meeting it either. I’d be surprised if any of the NATO lovers here could name all of the countries or point to them on a map, or explain in a way that sounds reasonable why we should owe it to them to commit our money and military to the defense of nations that don’t take their own defense seriously. Trump got a lot of pushback when he started calling out NATO countries for not pulling their weight. I know everyone went to school and learned about how great NATO was, but over the years it has become the defense equivalent of welfare.
    The point of this strawman and what it has to do with Ukraine?

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    How does it benefit NATO to admit Ukraine? I understand how it benefits Ukraine.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    How does it benefit NATO to admit Ukraine? I understand how it benefits Ukraine.

Its a mutual defense agreement. The group never gains as much as the new member.

With many other members, Ukraine will benefit from having multiple nations promising to help defend Ukraine while NATO gains only one more nation promising to assist.

I have a feeling your question was rhetorical, but it is still easy to pick apart.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Of course you are aware that some of the NATO countries are ramping up their defense budgets as a result of this current Russian aggression?
    Trump’s tantrum didn’t inspire them to move, but reality has hitthe lazy in the face since Feb. 24th of last year:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Its a mutual defense agreement. The group never gains as much as the new member.

With many other members, Ukraine will benefit from having multiple nations promising to help defend Ukraine while NATO gains only one more nation promising to assist.

I have a feeling your question was rhetorical, but it is still easy to pick apart.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Not rhetorical. I understand how they benefit. I am genuinely interested in what Ukraine has to offer. This directly affects people's openess to accepting them. At least it does to me. I'm not big on th emotional aspect of it being a feel good story.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not rhetorical. I understand how they benefit. I am genuinely interested in what Ukraine has to offer. This directly affects people's openess to accepting them. At least it does to me. I'm not big on th emotional aspect of it being a feel good story.

The way they are fighting, I would not mind having them on my side if it hits the fan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom