Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Best gun for Hogs

I haven't been on any type of hunting trip in over ten years. I have a son who will be 10 soon and I have been thinking about getting one of those guided hunt packages at some point. My question is what gun is ideal for hog hunting? I know that one of the guided hunt websites said no military rifles or shotguns so I'm guessing they don't like any AR style rifles. What semi auto rifle would be good for such a thing, and something that a 10 year old kid could shoot? (given 6 months of range practice). My son is a surgeon with a 22 but we haven't gone anything beyond that yet. I'm not going to buy a rifle and send him off in the woods mind you, this is something I would like to go ahead and start working towards. Thanks for any advice and excuse my ignorance on the subject in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Danger can only be overcome by more danger"

Re: Best gun for Hogs

Just about anything will kill a pig. 5.56 is fine. The kicker is no military style guns. Cause I would have said AR15 for your son. There really are not any semiautomatic non military style guns that will fit a boy. You can get a ruger 44mag and cut the stock down, 30 carbines might be short enough. A youth Remington 700 in .243 is a good choice but it's bolt action. H&R single shot in 410 shooting slugs or in 357, 44 would do. Even a 30-30 lever gun.
    The field is wide open for you. I bet you already have a gun that will work fine.
    I would also find a hunt where you can choose your own rifle and not be dictated too

I'd get an AR10 in .308, and go hunt somewhere else. Get an adjustable stock, as an autoloader is going to be somewhat expensive, and you will want one that can grow with him. Plus then you have a really nice range toy/ HD gun. I can't think of a good autoloader that will fit him now and as he grows that isn't an AR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Younggun View Post
    You aren't a big deal, just a guy on the Internet. Try to remember that.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Danger can only be overcome by more danger"

Vox Populi

.50 bmg
    MOΛΩN ΛABE [ Oath Keeper ] Join us.
    Do NOT click this link!

Friend of mine swears by his .17 HMR gets the job done. He's an above average stalker\marksman who'll pass on a bad presentation though. I doubt any guides would allow them as well.

A Ruger 99/44 Deerfield carbine in .44 Magnum would be great for him. Low recoil and all.

A "gun free zone" is tyrannies playground.
    I carry a gun to give me options, not a single solution.

SpaceCowboy/GangstaOfLuv Mexican_Hippie's Avatar

On one of our ranches we used to sell and guide hunts as one revenue stream (watching cows eat don't take much time). Based on my experience....it depends on how you're hunting them, and how big the hogs are.

The smaller calibers that require well placed shots are fine if you're hunting from a position where you have time to aim. I've dropped hogs dead in their tracks with .22LR and .22 magnum, they were under a feeder and I was in a blind.

If you're stalking or sneaking up on them you may want larger calibers though, because if they come at you you want something that doesn't have to be as precise to stop them. I've had a 400 pounder with tusks come after and all I had was a 9mm. It didn't get far past the hide with the ammo I was using. The 11th shot when I hit it in the head worked great but the first 10 I was getting concerned (and running :lol: ). We usually used shotguns with slugs or AK47s.

I'd start him on something manageable. We had a .243 Remington Model Seven (basically model 700 carbine). It worked great for pretty much everything and wasn't as punishing as the 30 caliber rifles. I loved that rifle. We always welcomed the guys with cool "military style" rifles, as long as they let us shoot them at the range :lol: AK vs AR is really preference on hogs and depends on how you're hunting them. AR is probably better for younger kids because the light weight and adjustable stock (flame suit on).

Quote Originally Posted by matefrio View Post
    ...A Ruger 99/44 carbine in .44 Magnum would be great for him. Low recoil and all.
    That .44 is nice. My grandpa used to carry one of those at our Colorado ranch in case he ran into any bears.

Vox Populi

In all seriousness (I'm not serious about the .50 BMG, obviously) the people that I know who run into hogs aren't LOOKING for hogs. They're out deer hunting and happen across a hog. They usually care a .357 or .44 mag on their hip in case of hogs. Ornery critters.
    MOΛΩN ΛABE [ Oath Keeper ] Join us.
    Do NOT click this link!

I just read the title... and I find it best not to arm the hogs. Plus they have issues with trigger manipulation due to the lack of fingers thing they have going on
    When in a gunfight rule number one; bring a gun

Seems like a Saiga Sporter would pass the muster since they look like a regular rifle while using the basic guts of an AK. Not that pricey, either. 7.62x39 would get it done easily. If they weren't up on red weaponry, a SKS would do it as well. Then you have the Ruger Mini's. A Mini 30 is 7.62x39.

Me...I'd use a heavy SP slug in my AR and watch them drop like flies.:banger::devil:
    I'm not a gun nut yet....but I'm gettin' closer every day.:texas:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast