Texas Gun Forum Ad

Red or green light for hunting hogs at night?

I've never hunted hogs but I want to start. I need something to spot them at night. Is a red or green light best?

I'm thinking about ordering one of these. Hogzilla Lights | Hog Hunting Lights and Accessories

Any advice or other recommendations are appreciated.

Just light up the feeder at night with a car battery. They don't mind it after a few days.. Solar on a timer would be ideal, but the car battery will get you going right now.

Eats breakfast everyday codygjohnson's Avatar

Green lasers and red lasers scare my hogs. I've got a solar powered LED motion activated spotlights on the feeders that only bug some boars.

Sent from my iPhone 6a using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
    i'm just an idiot asshat jerk off and should turn all my guns in at the next buy back event.

Nite Hunter Illumination NHV001 Nite Hunter Varmint Rifle-Mounted Light W/Li-ion FREE S&H NHV001. Nite Hunter Illumination Weapon Lights.

This works great for most any animal I've used it on.
    Eyes light up like light bulbs at 150 yards + and silhouettes at 100 yards or so.

If you kick on the light immediately, it will startle the animal.
    If you turn on the light shining up and then slowly move the light down into the field, it doesn't scare them.

Lasers are too intense if you hit the animal in the eye.

I highly recommend.

Nothing says 'I love you' like a box of hydroshox.

green lights are the best i have used... they make the piggs glow at night time

I have a strong preference for red. I have not tried green, because red has worked perfectly for me. White works fine too, as long as you are not too close to them. If I expect to be within 50 yards, I use red. For further away, I go to white. Both are mounted on my rifle.

As Mitch mentioned, pointn the light up when you turn it on, then bring the beam down on them.

The green lights are pretty useful. It makes their eyes glow green. Its not a typical laser aiming device, but a green laser light, like a flashlight.

Cabela's: ND5 Flashlight

I have seen this one in action. It was mounted on an AR rail. It made the pig's eyes glow green. Very cool. I have heard that the small ones have issues in cold weather.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Have you used this light on coyotes? I like the price a little better than the laser genetics. Didn't know about this light so thanks for the heads up!
    Gardner: She looks fast Truman.
    Truman Sparks: Yeah, it's the stripes!

I've used both red and green on my AR for varmints and hogs and got about the same results. Both work pretty good. I prefer green just because I can see them better.

Green's wavelength appears brighter at longer distances than red's.

Remember the old red lens for military flashlights? Good for short distance, not for long distance.