Texas Gun Forum Ad

can a felon hunt with a crossbow?

My step-dad is a convicted felon & he likes to hunt. He's not really into bow hunting. But if I could get him a crossbow I know he would love it so...is it legal for him to hunt with a crossbow.
    If it is any suggestions on a decent one ? I seen a barnett wildcat c5 @ academy for $299. Are they any good ?
    Keep it out of the dirt.

I'm pretty sure he can but you might try calling the local Game Warden or the Texas Parks and Wildlife dept and asking them. What he is convicted of and what his terms of release or parole terms are. I know that "terms of release" and "terms of probation" are probably not the correct wording. But y'all get the idea.
    "Scars remind us where we've been, but they don't have to dictate where we're going."-Criminal Minds

Yes a felon can hunt with a crossbow. IIRC muzzle loaders as well.
    "But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Dalai Lama

"I'd rather have a hog problem than an asshole problem "- TXARGUY

isn't there a stipulation you can only hunt with a crossbow, if you have a PERMANENT upper limb impairment...?

that may just be limited to game hunting (deer turkey etc...)
    Builder of AR-15's, 1911's, DuraCoat finisher, and general gunsmith...PM or Email me for details.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The handi cap stipulations are no longer in affect. Anyone can use a crossbow. The only reason I know that is I heard a game warden say it. So...that is why I was asking about the felon thing. Thanks for the replies. Does any1 know of some decent crossbows ?
    Keep it out of the dirt.

this:
    Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, 46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, 46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.
    taken from here...

TPWD: Means and Methods

Crossbow:

* IMPORTANT NOTICE: Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season in all counties EXCEPT Grayson County. In Grayson County, no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season (Oct. 3-Nov. 6) unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician's statement that certifies the extent of the disability. An upper-limb disability is a permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand, or arm in a manner that renders the person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow, or recurved bow.
    * Any person, regardless of physical ability, may use a crossbow to hunt game animals or game birds in any county, including Grayson County, during a general open season or Eastern spring turkey season.
    * An archery stamp endorsement is required to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season. An archery stamp endorsement is required to hunt deer at any time in Grayson County, including during the general open season (Nov. 7- Jan. 3)
    * A crossbow is lawful for game animals and game birds, provided:
    o the crossbow has a minimum pull of 125 pounds;
    o the crossbow has a mechanical safety; and
    o the crossbow stock is not less than 25 inches in length.
    * Telescopic sights are lawful.
    Builder of AR-15's, 1911's, DuraCoat finisher, and general gunsmith...PM or Email me for details.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

and barrett and PSE make some nice ones...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have never used a cross bow only a regular compound bow. But if Hoyt makes a cross bow go with that one. LOL!
    "Scars remind us where we've been, but they don't have to dictate where we're going."-Criminal Minds

Good info, thanks for the replies.
    Keep it out of the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by watchale View Post
    Good info, thanks for the replies.
    let us know how he does. Good luck