Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    805

    Change of address on CHL

    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.

  2. #2
    Mosted Hated Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by phatcyclist View Post
    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.

    Don't sweat it. The addresses do not have to match, and as long as you applied for the address change within 30 days you are fine.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post
    Don't sweat it. The addresses do not have to match, and as long as you applied for the address change within 30 days you are fine.
    Thanks, that's exactly the information I was needing. I thought it was 30 days to change it, I guess it would be ridiculous to believe everyone would have a new license within a month from moving.

    Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my receipt with me? I know it isn't a legal license, but it's sort of proof that I did change addresses.

  4. #4
    Internet Tough Guy Texas1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    11,330
    Quote Originally Posted by phatcyclist View Post
    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.
    A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

    Bear that in mind.
    http://www.subaruwrxsti.org - Subaru WRX STI Information and Tuning Resource
    http://www.vikingspeedshop.com - Tuning Parts for Subarus and others.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Posts
    117
    A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

    Bear that in mind.



    Always wondered about that. Both are issued by the state. Somewhere haw to verify who you are somewhere.
    Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants

  6. #6
    Mosted Hated Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by phatcyclist View Post
    Thanks, that's exactly the information I was needing. I thought it was 30 days to change it, I guess it would be ridiculous to believe everyone would have a new license within a month from moving.

    Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my receipt with me? I know it isn't a legal license, but it's sort of proof that I did change addresses.
    I would not worry about it. The requirement to change the address is in the Texas Government Code, and is administered by DPS. There is nothing a LEO could do about it IF you were stopped and he compared the addresses on your DL and CHL except write a letter to DPS.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    805
    I got my new license yesterday, I didn't know they were changing the design on the card. My face looks too red, but it isn't something I'm worried enough to complain.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy Tx
    Posts
    932
    When you change your address on your chl do they take your old one.
    Send Chuck Norris to the White house

  9. #9
    Mosted Hated Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by gladi8r View Post
    When you change your address on your chl do they take your old one.

    Nope. And a change if address is not modifying a license, so you do not have to surrender it to DPS.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy Tx
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post
    Nope. And a change if address is not modifying a license, so you do not have to surrender it to DPS.

    Thank you sir you are a infinite wealth of information.
    Send Chuck Norris to the White house

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About Texas Gun Talk

    Texas Gun Talk is the most active and largest Texas gun forum on the net. Be sure to check out our gun classifieds, political, and hometown sections.

Quick Links

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube

Back to Top
Google+